[TC] Gaming Forums
Compulsory Cop Training - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Server & InSim Suggestions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+---- Thread: Compulsory Cop Training (/showthread.php?tid=4682)

Compulsory Cop Training - Seven - 2012-10-09 20:13

I've been told this has been suggested in the past, but it's getting ridiculous.

I've seen a few cops than simply don't know how to cop well (no names).

I've done a little research and there are 8 trainers capable of giving basic training. On average I'm guessign there will be around 3 people per week wanting to become cop? That's 1 person per trainer, leaving 5 to spare, so it won't be like it's over working the trainers...

But I'm tired of being rammed by cops during a chase and then getting a high fine for a 2 minute chase providing I don't get away. Atleast have them do some kind of car control before giving them such rights?

I hope you can understand my irritation.

RE: Compulsary Cop Training - Sinoco - 2012-10-09 20:18

Perhaps if someone rams you in a chase you can report them and if it is deemed necessary they will have to take cop training?

RE: Compulsary Cop Training - BP - 2012-10-09 20:21

(2012-10-09 20:13)TheSAgibbs Wrote:  I've seen a few cops than simply don't know how to cop well (no names).

That's part of the reason admins are here - if someone isn't up to our copping standards, they will be diciplined and sent to training if necessary.

(2012-10-09 20:13)TheSAgibbs Wrote:  I've done a little research and there are 8 trainers capable of giving basic training.

Capable, yes. But there are many factors you need to consider:

Trainings can take up to 2 hours, if the trainee is a slow learner or an inexperienced driver. Trainers also have lives, work, school, family, leisure time. Sometimes they just want to play on the server. Trainers don't get any real advantages, they're merely giving up their free time to voluntarily teach people.

(2012-10-09 20:13)TheSAgibbs Wrote:  On average I'm guessign there will be around 3 people per week wanting to become cop? That's 1 person per trainer, leaving 5 to spare, so it won't be like it's over working the trainers...

As aforementioned.

(2012-10-09 20:13)TheSAgibbs Wrote:  But I'm tired of being rammed by cops during a chase and then getting a high fine for a 2 minute chase providing I don't get away. Atleast have them do some kind of car control before giving them such rights?

Report them if you think it's punishable. Remember what the admins are here for.

That said, I would support a theory test that all cops have to undergo before they cop for the first time. Perhaps this could be insim based. For example:

A new player has got 2500kms, he wants to become a cop for the first time. As soon as he puts his cop tag on, his cop skin on, and leaves the track, he will be spectated, a box will come up and he will be asked to take a test. The test will consist of x amount of questions and will test his knowledge on the rules and what's required of him. I think this is a fair compromise.

RE: Compulsary Cop Training - Seven - 2012-10-09 20:22

Sinoco: So you'd much rather handle reports after the incidents happen, after people get aggrevated instead of prevent the incidents from happening in the first place?

BoyPower: Thanks for the detailed response, the InSim test sounds like a great idea as a minimum requirement. If a candidate doesn't get the minimum correct answers he/she should be asked to apply via forums?

RE: Compulsary Cop Training - BP - 2012-10-09 20:27

(2012-10-09 20:22)TheSAgibbs Wrote:  BoyPower: Thanks for the detailed response, the InSim test sounds like a great idea as a minimum requirement. If a candidate doesn't get the minimum correct answers he/she should be asked to apply via forums?

If he gets an unsatisfactory mark, I'd say he should be asked to apply for basic training, or alternatively, he has another chance to pass the test after, for example, 3 days.
EDIT: Actually no, I don't think he should be given the opportunity to apply for basic training after failing the test, because in a normal situation, the player would have to pass an exam before basic training anyway. Also, if he fails after the 3 days wait then he should have to wait 7 days, or something.

RE: Compulsary Cop Training - Seven - 2012-10-09 20:37

That would make me and others with my problem a lot happier, the only issue is: Can Chuck code it, as I've never heard of a plugin that does this...

RE: Compulsary Cop Training - Nick - 2012-10-09 22:21

If the insim test would be too tricky, how about each username gets a unique code available through the insim which they then enter to a web page, a bit like the current test, which would be linked to their username and give a basic pass/fail after completing a test on the website? I suppose this would be linked to their cop rights so a pass = cop rights else no cop rights or something similar.

RE: Compulsary Cop Training - Chuck - 2012-10-10 06:04

A written test should be required anyway, even before someone goes copping the first time. The trainings should be something aside of that. That way we can make sure that people at least know the theory of it, the rules, fines etc.

RE: Compulsary Cop Training - Brad - 2012-10-10 13:45

I agree with Chuck, but it has to be executed in a way not to alienate new players, or be too inconvenient for them (if it is, new players might just give up and go to a rival server).

Maybe introduce restrictions on copping before the test is passed, as opposed to preventing them entirely?

For example, before the written test is passed you can be a cop, but:
- You cannot join an existing chase as backup (user may not know the cop1, cop2 rule)
- You can only 'Low Fine' or you only receive a certain percentage of the fine you issue.

So in the short-term the user can cop if it isn't convenient to take the test right away, but the incentive is there for them to attempt the test at some point.

RE: Compulsary Cop Training - Sinoco - 2012-10-10 13:47

(2012-10-10 13:45)Brad Wrote:  I agree with Chuck, but it has to be executed in a way not to alienate new players, or be too inconvenient for them (if it is, new players might just give up and go to a rival server).

Maybe introduce restrictions on copping before the test is passed, as opposed to preventing them entirely?

For example, before the written test is passed you can be a cop, but:
- You cannot join an existing chase as backup (user may not know the cop1, cop2 rule)
- You can only 'Low Fine' or you only receive a certain percentage of the fine you issue.

Well I think if a cop is unwilling to read up on how to cop properly and would be unable to pass a written test about copping, should they be allowed to cop at all?

RE: Compulsary Cop Training - Chuck - 2012-10-10 13:47

I doubt it could be any more inconvenient than the existing 2,500km limit.

RE: Compulsary Cop Training - Brad - 2012-10-10 13:49

Maybe they are willing, but it isn't convenient for them right away. I think banning them from copping until the test is passed is risky, and could alienate new players.

This way, the risk is reduced (main issue is new cops joining chases and potentially ruining it for the cops already in the chase), and it gives them the incentive the read the rules and pass the test.

EDIT: But what if someone fails the test and has to wait x days to re-take? I think they should have the ability, in limited form, to still cop. Otherwise there is a real risk they would give up and switch servers - they could be a perfectly good cop but misunderstood the questions etc.

RE: Compulsary Cop Training - Pipa - 2012-10-10 13:57

(2012-10-10 13:47)Chuck Wrote:  I doubt it could be any more inconvenient than the existing 2,500km limit.

Imo 2500 is way too high, but thats a differnt story.

How about encouraging them to take that test by removing or reducing the 2,500km limit once they completed it sucessfully.

RE: Compulsary Cop Training - Chuck - 2012-10-10 14:25

There could be a compromise. A mandatory test and therefore reducing the km limit, maybe back to 1,000km. But removing that one entirely is way too dangerous.

RE: Compulsory Cop Training - Brad - 2012-10-10 14:35

Maybe:

Full test, reducing minimum km's to 1,000km
or
Partial test after 2,500km's (maybe 1/2 the amount of questions, focusing on more high-level rules/guidelines, as the chances are that they would know the basic rules after 2,500kms)