[TC] Gaming Forums
About overtaking as a cop. - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: About overtaking as a cop. (/showthread.php?tid=4922)

About overtaking as a cop. - Moving Coil - 2012-11-03 14:59

http://forum.city-driving.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=4912 As I saw in this report there is a something that you can't overtake behind barriers. I didn't know this so I looked at the rules and didn't saw anything about it.

It says "Driving on the wrong side is tolerated for short periods of time and as long nobody else gets disturbed or endangered." But it also says "Cops must obey road laws when not in a chase." I didn't find the road laws anywhere either and if its about the real road laws I don't think there is such a law that says you can't overtake behind barriers.

If this is something like "don't drift the roundabout" rule, something everybody know and wasn't in the rules. Please add it to rules.

RE: About overtaking as a cop. - BP - 2012-11-03 15:02

Barriers are a central divider between the right hand side and the left hand side. If you're not in a chase and go on the other side of the barrier, you're driving on the wrong side - this is not allowed. Cops can overtake, as long as they don't go on the wrong side of the road.

^ Talking about cops who aren't in a chase.

RE: About overtaking as a cop. - Sinoco - 2012-11-03 15:02

Look, this is the way I see it - this is my opinion. Overtaking is permitted, and I don't consider it wrongsiding. This is how it works in real life (where I live), on roads like this, you overtake on the wrongside and move back over. I don't really see the problem.

RE: About overtaking as a cop. - Brad - 2012-11-03 15:04

As I understand, barriers are like "solid white lines" that separate opposite directions of traffic in real life -- no crossing these to overtake.

Everywhere else, where the 2 directions are split by broken white lines, you can cross them to overtake -- i.e. go onto the wrong side of the road.

RE: About overtaking as a cop. - Moving Coil - 2012-11-03 15:14

It also says in the fine list:

Failure to keep right (50€ / 75€ / 100€)
Driving on the wrong side / wrong direction
Does not include overtaking (if safe and within reason), passing, avoiding a collision

What I see in the report is safe and within reason passing of a slow car. (As a cop) If I saw some civilian car doing the same thing withing speed limit, I wouldn't start a chase.

RE: About overtaking as a cop. - Sinoco - 2012-11-03 15:19

(2012-11-03 15:14)Moving Coil Wrote:  It also says in the fine list:

Failure to keep right (50€ / 75€ / 100€)
Driving on the wrong side / wrong direction
Does not include overtaking (if safe and within reason), passing, avoiding a collision

What I see in the report is safe and within reason passing of a slow car. (As a cop) If I saw some civilian car doing the same thing withing speed limit, I wouldn't start a chase.

It was not safe as he passed on the other side of a barrier, what would he do if there was a car coming at that instant?

RE: About overtaking as a cop. - Moving Coil - 2012-11-03 15:28

I guess he checked it before he started the manuever.

RE: About overtaking as a cop. - Roba - 2012-11-03 15:46

Well real life cops certainly wouldn't overtake from the wrong side of a central divider or to cross the solid line seperating 2 way traffic..

I do fine people for overtaking from the left side of the barrier. (Unless the road is blocked by crash orso)

RE: About overtaking as a cop. - Tommer - 2012-11-03 16:15

Well in real life you wouldn't overtake someone where there is a central divider or a solid white line, so why would you on TC?

In my opinion common sense should dictate that if there's a central divider, whoever designed that road DID NOT want you to drive on the left here overtaking or not.

RE: About overtaking as a cop. - Elmo - 2012-11-03 16:27

(2012-11-03 15:04)Brad Wrote:  As I understand, barriers are like "solid white lines" that separate opposite directions of traffic in real life -- no crossing these to overtake.

Everywhere else, where the 2 directions are split by broken white lines, you can cross them to overtake -- i.e. go onto the wrong side of the road.
(2012-11-03 16:15)Tommer Wrote:  Well in real life you wouldn't overtake someone where there is a central divider or a solid white line, so why would you on TC?

In my opinion common sense should dictate that if there's a central divider, whoever designed that road DID NOT want you to drive on the left here overtaking or not.

This.

Central barriers and also central tyres should not be crossed as far as the road law goes.
If you can't guarantee that you can bail back onto the correct side without hitting an object, going on the wrong side is illegal even for short periods, with the possible exception of a blocked road (depending on circumstances).
Common sense applies.

RE: About overtaking as a cop. - Tupex - 2012-11-03 21:50

i have seen other cop doing that too. so i thought it's not illegal

well now i know...