[TC] Gaming Forums
Traffic Cones - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Server & InSim Suggestions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+---- Thread: Traffic Cones (/showthread.php?tid=5186)

Traffic Cones - Tommer - 2012-12-01 10:45

Hey,

Just to say it's really cool to see the new roadblock feature put into use Smile

I've a small but simple feature suggestion which is to do a diagonal cones version which you can use to divert traffic and give an indication there's a crash ahead. Sure some people will hit them but atleast they saw them.

Some simple command like !divert left+/- and possibly (thinking about the 2 lane autobahn) !divert right+/-could control it

The diversion covers just over a cars width and so is designed for minor crashes that only block part of the road. For major crashes the cop can park on the uncovered part and leave the cones to his side when a whole lane is blocked.

Here's a picture of how I think it would look when placed Smile

[Image: capturemum.jpg]

RE: Traffic Cones - Adampower - 2012-12-01 11:07

Quite like your idea, however, i'd say cop car should be parked infront as you can't see the cones otherwise Tongue

Also, like on a matrix irl of police they have <<<<<<<< that could be a new feature with !divert left, more realism rather than HAZARD ahead Smile

eg [Image: new-full-matrix-arrow-message.png]

RE: Traffic Cones - Tommer - 2012-12-01 11:16

I see where you are coming from Adam but actually I was not expecting cops to stay in this position once they have placed the cones

The reason I suggested that it is deployed in front of the police car is that as you are driving, you can see a crash ahead and stop before it, place your cones, and then drive ahead leaving them behind you (maybe a 50m limit on how far away from the cones you can go once you've placed them before they disappear again)

I like your idea with the diversion sign, this would be a nice addition too Smile

RE: Traffic Cones - Dan - 2012-12-01 11:40

I really like this idea. Would improve the realism experience.

RE: Traffic Cones - Seven - 2012-12-01 13:40

Definately like it as over the past few days I've picked up being a MED and many times I've had people say ''I saw the Cautions too late''

RE: Traffic Cones - Elmo - 2012-12-01 15:05

(2012-12-01 11:16)Tommer Wrote:  The reason I suggested that it is deployed in front of the police car is that as you are driving, you can see a crash ahead and stop before it, place your cones, and then drive ahead leaving them behind you

Would be easier and safer to just spawn them behind in the first place...

RE: Traffic Cones - Chuck - 2012-12-01 15:36

Well, that might look fancy but unfortunately, objects are only visible to the leading car of a column. Everyone behind doesn't see a thing. If there are 3 cars dancing on the road and the approaching car doesn't care for them, I don't think a few cones more would impress him much. Plus, don't forget, objects can be hit and fly around. So, until they respawn, there is no sign of warning.

RE: Traffic Cones - Mr. NB - 2012-12-01 18:22

I like the idea, but it might be quite complicated, to make it work correctly. Every tow, med or cop placing the cones by himself, could make it quite useless, since everyone would probably want to play around with placing objects. Maybe it would be good to restrict it to the first cop in chase only or make it so there would be no chance for it to result in a big mess, with two or three cops in every chase placing those.

However, i like Adam's version a lot. All that would be needed, is two new hazard-looking-like commands, one for left and one for the right side. Even though, there would probably not be a big difference from now, it would still add to realism and role play.

RE: Traffic Cones - Vincent - 2012-12-01 23:16

love it.

RE: Traffic Cones - shredderboy - 2012-12-02 01:13

Interesting idea Mr. Tommer.

RE: Traffic Cones - nonder - 2012-12-02 13:19

Very good idea. I like it. Put it somewhere like warning triangle in real life - about cars in column - this is not problem in lfs. It is problem in real life too so why not implement it Smile

RE: Traffic Cones - Seven - 2012-12-02 16:11

We've covered the fact it's a good idea but have we just ignored the Server Techician?

Chuck Wrote:Well, that might look fancy but unfortunately, objects are only visible to the leading car of a column. Everyone behind doesn't see a thing. If there are 3 cars dancing on the road and the approaching car doesn't care for them, I don't think a few cones more would impress him much. Plus, don't forget, objects can be hit and fly around. So, until they respawn, there is no sign of warning.

RE: Traffic Cones - Savy - 2012-12-02 16:17

People can barely slow down for caution, what makes you think they will slow down for a few cones and a sign?

RE: Traffic Cones - Jedi - 2012-12-02 16:31

People normally drive through those

RE: Traffic Cones - Brad - 2012-12-02 17:05

I usually aim for those.

RE: Traffic Cones - Louis - 2012-12-02 19:38

(2012-12-02 17:05)Brad Wrote:  I usually aim for those.

Same haha, i always aim to knock the cones out of my way. Makes my side of the road feel bigger Smile

RE: Traffic Cones - ChrisM - 2012-12-03 07:37

Even though I'm not as active as i used to be, i still dislike the fact people seem to drive around purposely knocking objects into oncoming traffic. For that reason, I dislike your idea.

RE: Traffic Cones - Lukeā„¢ - 2012-12-03 07:57

(2012-12-03 07:37)ChrisM Wrote:  Even though I'm not as active as i used to be, i still dislike the fact people seem to drive around purposely knocking objects into oncoming traffic. For that reason, I dislike your idea.

+1 I think if people respected caution/hazard signs and actually drove around normally, avoiding objects, it would be great.

RE: Traffic Cones - Seven - 2012-12-03 15:49

Agree with both Chris and Luke; the aim of TC is to simulate real world driving situations with the inclusion of road-going professions. Anyone who thinks that the real world is one big demolition derby has TC's purpose wrong. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have fun, we all like a mess around every now and again, but in my opinion, some people need a rethink of TC's purpose...

RE: Traffic Cones - Tommer - 2012-12-03 18:51

Here's my opinion of what's said above-

People are saying cones are not effective due to people disregarding the road and generally hitting what they can.

Ok yes, true, there are alot of people who do that. But I think this is an invalid argument. Why?

If TC Followed the logic of 'if it's not effective most of the time, don't use it' We would have for example, no white lines in the middle of the road, no stop lines, no cops, no hazard sign, no caution sign and all the tyre bales would be gone because people hit them.

The fact of the matter is we have many roleplay elements already in TC. Think about MED's and RES's. Up until recently they had absolutely no use what so ever but people wanted to do it.

Why? People like roleplay elements. It adds some fun to the game and sure not everybody wants to play along but some do and I think that the cones are a sort of roleplay element. So what if the cones get knocked around and are ineffective like the caution? It's fun and makes you feel more involved in the game.

Cones are not going to damage someones car and I've hit enough keep right signs on TC to know they're unlikely to do much damage too.

The way I see it is that TC is not only a racing and crashing about server but one of the the things that make it better than other cruise servers is that it's got realistic roleplay and stuff like that. Do we really want to kill roleplay idea's off just because some people can't drive?