[TC] Gaming Forums
Navigation Possibility - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Server & InSim Suggestions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+---- Thread: Navigation Possibility (/showthread.php?tid=5206)

Navigation Possibility - Louis - 2012-12-02 12:20

Just a possibility and would like to see peoples ideas, what do people think of something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skIsbd7LwY8
Maybe toggle it on and off? Or just for emergency services? Possible Cop aid?

Just want to see what people think about it

Smile

RE: Navigation Possibility - Orange™ - 2012-12-02 12:31

Good idea in terms of software wise but in my view, be too much in my view. When you're copping etc you got alot to watch then just the road.

RE: Navigation Possibility - Louis - 2012-12-02 12:38

(2012-12-02 12:31)Orange™ Wrote:  Good idea in terms of software wise but in my view, be too much in my view. When you're copping etc you got alot to watch then just the road.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. Its just an interesting idea I came across.

RE: Navigation Possibility - Jappe - 2012-12-04 07:40

but it could be usefull, like when answering to a emergency call? would look more like real life imo

RE: Navigation Possibility - Chuck - 2012-12-04 08:35

That's exactly what the locator and the siren/caution/hazard indicator do. But we already have it for years Smile However, it looks way smoother in the video as its probably a local connected insim, rather than the server, which allows a much higher update frequency. I spot like 4 or 5 updates a second, we only use 1 per second as it simply multiplies the network traffic.

Btw, if you got a locator it will show you the location of call if you do !respond.

RE: Navigation Possibility - Jappe - 2012-12-04 08:55

i'm personally not a fan of those 3D buttons like in the movie, but maby we could have a small bar at the side of the screen after you do !respond saying something like

"next: turn left - The Bridge" (coming from main street), wich leads you to the person that called. actually like a gps system, but then without a map.

RE: Navigation Possibility - Chuck - 2012-12-04 09:14

That is actually quite an extensive undertaking. I doubt the benefit would justify the effort necessary.

RE: Navigation Possibility - Jappe - 2012-12-04 09:18

well it was only an idea Wink

RE: Navigation Possibility - Elmo - 2012-12-04 14:14

I had thought a while back about playing with a GPS navigation thing as a proof of concept. Working out the route shouldn't be too tricky (our InSim already does this, and it's a common enough problem that there are several algorithms around). However the easy things for a human like working out what's left or right or neither is surprisingly complicated to do procedurally and often layout specific.

RE: Navigation Possibility - Seven - 2012-12-04 15:47

If you know the map, why bother with a GPS telling you when to turn? It took me only an hour of driving and looking at the TC maps to know where everything was. If you know the street the person is on, you know how to get there by knowing the route.

Maps - http://www.city-driving.co.uk/layoutmaps/

RE: Navigation Possibility - Vincent - 2012-12-04 16:06

That looks Really annoying..

RE: Navigation Possibility - lajfa - 2012-12-04 16:13

(2012-12-04 16:06)Vincent Wrote:  That looks Really annoying..

+1

RE: Navigation Possibility - Nipper - 2012-12-04 21:40

(2012-12-04 16:13)lajfa Wrote:  
(2012-12-04 16:06)Vincent Wrote:  That looks Really annoying..

+1

+1

Cool proof of concept though. Can't quite think of anything cool to do with such an idea that isn't just for the sake of using it.