[TC] Gaming Forums
Driver improvement schemes? - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Server & InSim Suggestions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+---- Thread: Driver improvement schemes? (/showthread.php?tid=6705)

Driver improvement schemes? - Matt - 2013-04-08 20:12

Hey everyone,

Somewhat of an idea that I almost suggested at a previous (unnamed) server which I played at. Over the last weekend me and my team mates Woody and SirMadGuy have noticed atleast 5 seperate drivers tailgating within what would be inches from our virtual bumpers.

After some consideration we have though of a potential solution.

Driver Improvement systems have been successful nationwide in UK and I think that it would be a good idea to teach new cruisers the basics of safe driving in a cruise server environment, sort of like learning to drive!

I have had two ideas of how to reward/show that a driver has passed the required standard of the driver improvement schemes.

Idea 1: Cop, Robber and Driver XP points.
A driver takes regular improvement course lessons to advance their xp points.

Idea 2: Added column on !stats - Confirmed Skilled Driver: (Y/N Answer)

Anyway; any constructive criticism would be appreciated as it is something that I have done quite a bit of thinking about the whole system. Also, if you think that you are possible candidate for an instructor, please contact me via e-mail at [email protected].

Cheers,
-Fake

RE: Driver improvement schemes? - Dan - 2013-04-08 20:20

I love the idea.

RE: Driver improvement schemes? - Sadie - 2013-04-08 20:25

Idea to idea 2: Have 3 answers like:

When you see siren what you do?
1. Just ignore it and take full speed.
2. Slow down and let them pass.
3. Try to ram/block the police some have sirens on.

RE: Driver improvement schemes? - Seven - 2013-04-08 20:27

I actually thought of something similar to this for the MEDs. Also, finally, someone suggests instructors to contact you if they're interested rather than expecting there to already be people.

OT: I dislike how youre thinking of displaying a 'good' and 'bad' driver in the stats. Seems like it could cause lots of concern. As for there being just a course available for the less experienced drivers to take optionally, that's a good idea.

I'd appreciate, rather than having to contact you, expand your ideas here, if it gets enough support. I might be interested to brush up my driving skills and maybe share them with others.

RE: Driver improvement schemes? - Josh - 2013-04-08 21:50

An online course may be good, but I feel the idea of a practical session just wouldn't work. You'd need to find the people and time to do it regularly, and of course, entice people into doing it in the first place.

We did toy with the idea of having a compulsory online test before being able to drive on our servers (or buy a car), which I think could work. I just depends if people take any notice of it - a lot of poor driving is simply down to poor physical ability rather than a lack of driving knowledge, and this is something you could only address in a 'civilian driver training' style programme.

I also fear a compulsory test may discourage new players.

RE: Driver improvement schemes? - fWANKy - 2013-04-09 00:48

i think the people running it will actually have to have some sort of driving ability themselves..

also, mikee would benefit alot from this

RE: Driver improvement schemes? - Chuck - 2013-04-09 06:15

The idea in principle isn't that new. In fact, it was already being partially done but postponed. Maybe about time to give it another shot.

[Image: Image1.jpg]

RE: Driver improvement schemes? - Roba - 2013-04-09 09:36

What about some kind of "Drivers Licence".

Basically, anyone can play normally after taking the written test, and they are given a "Licence" to drive. If their driving is simply too bad and they constantly affect other players, block cops, crash cops, ram other etc. the "Licence" is taken away, and can only be retrieved back by taking Basic Cop Training.

If they have passed the cop training, and they keep ramming and so on, they will be getting kicks/bans for it..

Something that way maybe? Wouldn't need separate trainers/training.

RE: Driver improvement schemes? - Lukeā„¢ - 2013-04-09 09:57

I think that idea Roba would put too much stress on the training team as they would have to attend training sessions much more regularly.

RE: Driver improvement schemes? - Mikee - 2013-04-09 10:46

Getting people to take test before they can drive is going to push new people away

RE: Driver improvement schemes? - Tommer - 2013-04-09 11:06

I could see driver improvement schemes being largely beneficial, if they are executed correctly. People are going to inevitably say it's too much work on the training team etc, but it's all about efficiency practices. They shouldn't be forced however, unless we're talking for cop's (who have lost there rights for poor car control), med's, otherwise optional but to be encouraged and not to be used to belittle everyone who makes a mistake.

I have previously, suggested before that the training team ought to have a 'Basic car control' course. Why? Because trainers waste time. What on? Cops who lose there rights for 'poor car control' - Which is nothing to do with police training.

The car control courses in the Training program are nowhere near sufficient and have long been that way, the layout is evidently rushed and nobodies thought in all the years we've been using it to take some pride in it and iron it out to look remotely decent or professional. Too much time is spent on inefficient faff in the training team, such as each training needing to be reviewed, and too little time spent on training the trainers, improving the training courses and improving efficiency. I've had trainers encourage trainee's to drift corners as there 'go to' manouvers and it's just silly that at some point the management let the team get like this.

Anyway I'm getting away from my point. I don't personally see, the training team being able to cope with this, it's like trying to shift a boulder with them. I know the managements habits all too well and perhaps that's why I quit the team in the first place..

RE: Driver improvement schemes? - Pete - 2013-04-09 14:08

The training team is focused on driving as a cop. If we were to introduce a "Driver Improvement Scheme", it'd have to be done by people who can prove they're able to drive to a superior standard.

If it were to come under the Training Team name then it'd need a separate division. The training team is already doing far too much as it is and so the [TC] Team itself would need to step in to sort out what would be taught and who would be teaching it.

Just an idea before this thread becomes unmanageable. The scheme should be run at regular, timetabled intervals. Say once a month. It'd be a 2-4 hour session (rough estimate) where a minimum of 4 instructors would work with up to 20 people.

Do not think for one second that we're going to make every newcomer take this test because that's completely unfeasible. 50% of people who join the server for the first time can't even work out how to buy a car, let alone sign up for a training session. People join to drive, not to be tested before they can drive. This would be an extra course people could take if they feel it would benefit them, nothing more, nothing less.

RE: Driver improvement schemes? - Savy - 2013-04-09 14:13

I'm with Mikee on this, when I join a new server I go there to drive and check the server out. Not to sit there and do a test. And for Roba's post what happens if a user fails that test? Do you expect them to sit on the server and re-do the test until they get it right? Or will they just think "screw this" and leave and join a server where they can just join and drive without any problems.

RE: Driver improvement schemes? - James - 2013-04-09 18:31

A licence system would work if people are rated on accidents and distance (stats currently in place). The less accidents and the more distance you have, the higher licence rating you have. Then the more cars you could drive or something like that. I think it would be helpful to have a system that encourages people to drive at the limit to earn more money and in turn, have the money to buy faster cars. Which I believe would help entice people to be more courteous and careful about their money and driving.

With the safer licence thing, you could have it where if they have so many accidents, they lose the licence they currently hold and are limited to certain cars ? Kind of like how the police would scrap your car. Though, you dont necessarily lose the car. Just the ability to drive it.

It could work but I doubt it could attract the casual cruiser.

RE: Driver improvement schemes? - ChrisM - 2013-04-10 05:34

(2013-04-09 18:31)James Wrote:  I think it would be helpful to have a system that encourages people to drive at the limit to earn more money and in turn, have the money to buy faster cars.

We have that. That's the reason you earn +4 or +3 at the speed limit and not at 50mph above it Wink

(2013-04-09 18:31)James Wrote:  Which I believe would help entice people to be more courteous and careful about their money and driving.

That, we don't have. Well, to a certain degree it works. Can't expect it to be 100%. Some people just come on to drive around flat out, not intentionally cause crashes, but do so because of their driving.