[TC] Gaming Forums
Skin downloading - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Live for Speed Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Skin downloading (/showthread.php?tid=6972)

Skin downloading - Dan - 2013-05-14 09:23

Hey,

Just wondering - whenever I'm in chase and the skins haven't loaded yet (when they're still white), why is it not until the chase finishes that the skins then load?

It's not just a one off. I just find it weird as to why they don't load until busted.

Any ideas? Thanks Thumbup1

RE: Skin downloading - BP - 2013-05-14 10:40

I think it's something to do with cars being stationary, or the engine stopped, or something like that.
I'm of course no expert and don't know the specifics of this. =]

RE: Skin downloading - Dan - 2013-05-14 10:47

(2013-05-14 10:40)BoyPower Wrote:  I think it's something to do with cars being stationary, or the engine stopped, or something like that.
I'm of course no expert and don't know the specifics of this. =]

Yeah - I've heard it's something to do with the engine being off and when it comes back on it downloads, but whenever we bust, the engine never goes off, lol..

but further answers are welcome. Thumbup

RE: Skin downloading - Elmo - 2013-05-14 11:37

LFS (generally) only loads new textures when your physics are in low detail mode, which is supposed to be when you're stationary with the engine off. This is so that the slight skip while loading textures doesn't make you wreck while going round a corner.

However, they do sometimes get loaded simply when you're driving particularly slowly/stopped for a few seconds (but not during a pitstop).

Ed: to be more specific, IIRC it *downloads* them as soon as someone uses the texture, but it doesn't load them into memory until later. This means that if you already have the texture on disk when someone joins with it, it still won't immediately load.

RE: Skin downloading - Chuck - 2013-05-14 11:49

You can even see that "power-saving" mode if you're for instance crashed on your roof and some wheels are still spinning. If you stop giving input (wheel/throttle ie) , the spinning wheel(s) suddenly stop. If you then steer a little bit, the physics-engine kicks-in again, and the wheel magically continues spinning.

RE: Skin downloading - Audiojack - 2013-05-14 13:09

That's why I usually just drive to the roadside, stop my car and tab through all the other players to load their skins, if I notice a lot of people with the grey default.

RE: Skin downloading - Dan - 2013-05-16 22:08

Thanks all for clearing this up. Smile