[TC] Gaming Forums
Overheating Laptop. (Again.) - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Technology Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=82)
+---- Forum: Tech Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+---- Thread: Overheating Laptop. (Again.) (/showthread.php?tid=9229)

Overheating Laptop. (Again.) - Matt - 2013-11-01 02:39

Hey,

So-I've had my HP Pavilion DV7-4150ea for a while now. It runs at 2.8GHz (turbo on the stock i5-460m processor (yes, G1 socket) at around 100'c on LFS (It's like that with every game and yes, I know, it's not healthy for a computer at that temperature-but it has run reliably for a few years). The laptop has an under-laptop cooling rack, with fans-meaning there is airflow and hot air extraction (which isn't very efficient) to the laptops main vents (which, for reasons I don't quite understand-are on the bottom...*slow applause to the dimwit who thought that would be a good idea*)

Now, the question is, with a budget of £50-would you suggest a full clean out and heatsink replacement
or
Spending that money on the i5-580m (the one that goes up to 3.33ghz) but running it at around 2.9GHz, with a new heatsink and thermal paste.

Please don't tell me, for I already know, HP Laptops have the single worst cooling systems known to man.

RE: Overheating Laptop. (Again.) - Frozen - 2013-11-01 09:55

(2013-11-01 02:39)fakedeath Wrote:  with a budget of £50-would you suggest a full clean out and heatsink replacement

If I were you , I would try that option. Wink

RE: Overheating Laptop. (Again.) - Cola - 2013-11-01 13:10

Not really much to do about HP laptops regarding heat. They are manufactured with a fatal design flaw, which is terrible at sucking in fresh air, as well as getting it our again, so all the fan is doing in it, is mostly just circulating hot air, which is absolutely useless. And for that reason, you cannot really do anything about it. Maybe if you know what you are doing, I'd lubricate the fan bearing, and remove the old thermal paste, and spread out a new layer on the CPU and GPU (if applicable).

Also, remove the entire fan assembly, and use canned air (has no water or condense in it, in opposition to ie. an air compressor) to get rid of the dust. Make sure to get in between all the fans on the heatsink.

RE: Overheating Laptop. (Again.) - Jimmy - 2013-11-01 13:13

when my laptop did get overheated in last days, in this summer so near at end in summer my hdd dies after i havet it 3,5 years with new hdd in 2 months its just fine but i cant play anygames on it i lose much fps like in lfs.

RE: Overheating Laptop. (Again.) - Audiojack - 2013-11-01 14:06

(2013-11-01 13:10)Cola Wrote:  Not really much to do about HP laptops regarding heat. They are manufactured with a fatal design flaw, which is terrible at sucking in fresh air, as well as getting it our again, so all the fan is doing in it, is mostly just circulating hot air, which is absolutely useless.

I've noticed this too with some friends and relatives HP lappies, a lot of times it starts heating the keyboard components too and some of the buttons will stop working Unsure

RE: Overheating Laptop. (Again.) - Cola - 2013-11-01 15:25

Just noticed that you (Fakedeath) mentioned getting a more powerful CPU. That would be the worst of all possible solutions. Bigger/Faster/Stronger CPU = more heat = no go..
If you really wanna go out and spend buckets of money on a new CPU, instead of saving up for a new laptop instead, go for an i3 processor. Maybe i3 350M or something like that. That should lower the heat emissions slightly.