[TC] Gaming Forums
Possible death of my GPU? - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Technology Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=82)
+---- Forum: Tech Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+---- Thread: Possible death of my GPU? (/showthread.php?tid=9847)

Possible death of my GPU? - SLiiDE - 2013-12-15 14:41

Hey guys, recently I've been having some issues with my GPU (At least that's what I'm assuming the issue is). If I'm to play games for more than 10 minutes my second monitor gets split in half, with the left side being on the right, and the right side on the left.

I can still continue playing whatever I'm playing, but if I do the same happens to my main monitor, and the second monitor will get streaks of black bars going across it.

This isn't an issue with GPU temps as they are fine, and it still performs like it normally would in terms of FPS. Restarting my PC fixes the issues until I start playing games again.

I'll try and get a picture up the next time it happens.

PC specs

CPU - FX 8320 @4.3ghz
Mobo - Asus M5a78l-m /USB3
RAM - 12gb Corsair Vengance
GPU - Amd HD 6850 1gb
Main Monitor - Asus 24-inch VH242H
Second Monitor - AOC N950Sw

Any suggestions on what to do, or what the cause is?

RE: Possible death of my GPU? - Frozen - 2013-12-15 21:54

Probably a stupid question but,

Did you try updating your drivers? And if you updated them, did you try installing the previous version of your drivers?

RE: Possible death of my GPU? - SLiiDE - 2013-12-15 21:58

I think I'm 1 driver version out of date, but I've been using the current version for a while and hadn't run into any problems. I'll update and see if it helps.

Edit, I've updated my drivers, I'll test tomorrow if its helped at all.

RE: Possible death of my GPU? - Cola - 2013-12-16 16:03

Please try the following, to rule out other factors that could be causing trouble:
- Make sure your cable between screen and graphics card is properly connected everywhere.
- Try running only with one screen
- Try another cable
- Try a different output (HDMI, DVI, VGA, DP. Whatever - just something else than you are running now.)

Of these next possible solutions, do whatever is the easiest for you. If your graphics card works fine in another PC, then it's not the graphics card that's at fault. Could be motherboard, PSU, screen or something else.
- Try another graphics card in your system
- Try your graphics card in another system

What PSU have you got?

RE: Possible death of my GPU? - SLiiDE - 2013-12-17 12:11

So, I did a long cleaning session and there wasn't an unusual amount of dust. also removed and reinstalled all drivers. Haven't had any issues yet so it seems like it was possibly a corrupt driver.

Thanks for the help all, I'll report back If I have any more problems.