[TC] Gaming Forums
Survival Guide for new DayZ Standalone. - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Other Games (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: Survival Guide for new DayZ Standalone. (/showthread.php?tid=9907)

Survival Guide for new DayZ Standalone. - Bez - 2013-12-18 13:14

Survival Guide for new DayZ Standalone.

Food
  • Food isn't as needed as people think, it was a smart idea for the DEV team to remove the UI and clutter from the screen but some now have no clue how hungry or thirsty they are, and with the new system get tricked into thinking they need to eat.
    This is far from the truth. You don't always need to eat food and there is a easy way to tell if the message is telling you the truth.

How you ask?

Hunger
  • Press Tab, or what ever your inventory button is, and look to the right next too your name, a rectangle box will appear saying thirsty/hungry/bleeding/infected/sick. In that same box will be a colour which surrounds the word. So if you see Hungry, followed by a green box, it means you are only STARTING to get hungry, it means you are 30-40 minutes away from yellow hunger, then another 10 minutes (this isnt exact) you will see it orange. When it hits red then you will need a can and a half of food to fill your stomach past green (satisfied hunger).
    One thing people notice and annoys them is even after getting past the non-colour hunger it will say "I am hungry" or 'I am tired', ignore that. All it is trying to tell you is you are slowly loosing energy, which is normal.

Thirst
  • Thirst is the next thing i hear people complain about, but this is the easiest thing to negate now. The best way to help thirst, is to drink from the fountains (they look like water pumps, hard to miss if you have played previous DayZ mods. Hard if you are young and have no clue what a water pump is AND ALSO haven't played this game) or to drink from a pond (you can't drink from see, ponds/lakes are in land).
    To get your thirst sated fast, just spam click drink on fountain because at the moment there is no animation, after 4 taps it should fill to max with green text saying you are satisfied. Also, don't drink your cans yet, save them for when you are no where near a town and you are yellow in thirst or orange. Never when it is green, it will be a waste. Also note, that cereal (the boxes which you can eat from 4 times) also decrease your thirst by 100 (3000 thirst is the max you can have), so they can really hurt you even if you are starving, if you can afford to use them due to no thirst, then use them but otherwise avoid using them until near a water source.

Energy
  • Energy is a new thing in this game, not only do you have to satisfy your hunger and thirst. But you have to make sure you have enough energy, you have a cap of energy of 1000, most foods, like soda give 100 energy, i don't know the number on all the foods for energy, but just drinking water from pond or clear water sources do not give you any energy. The thing energy does is give you blood, when it is above a certain amount it gives you blood, once you are at enough blood it will then use blood to replenish health (you will notice this when things are not blurry any more).

To explain more on energy, blood and health.

Health/Healing
  • To know you have low health, your screen will blur and shake.
    Blood, you will see your vision wobble and may pass out. (some times it seems the darker it is, is caused by blood loss but that is wrong, because when you loose blood most times you are also losing health).
    Energy. This is easy to see, it happens when you run to much, things get blurry, blur means you are limited on energy. When you are losing energy. I am not sure if energy makes you loose blood, but I do know if you have max or near max health you gain blood.

So the cycle for health regen is. Energy>Health>Blood.

Understanding the food/drink/energy/healing system.
  1. Players spawn relatively hungry and thirsty. For example, lets say players start at 30% food/drink.
  2. First warning message pops when your food or drink level drops to ~20%.
  3. Most important one! That green message saying "your thirst/hunger is quenched", shows when players food/drink level gets just above critical value. So when you get this message, in reality, you are only on ~25% of your total "stomach capacity".
  4. If you keep drinking and eating after you get the "your thirst/hunger is quenched" message, you can still consume a lot, until you get another green message "Your stomach is full", "You feel well-fed" or similar. That means you are at 100% of food capacity and you start to regenerate blood/heal.Once you reach this, you also have a LOT of time when you dont have to deal with food/drink and no messages pop up for at least 1,5 hours.
    Rockets post about healing;
  • rocket2guns:
    "blood only regenerates when energy and water values are high. If you're very hungry, you might need to eat several sittings because your stomach will be too full to allow your energy to fill right up.
    when blood, energy, and water are full you begin healing health. None of this can occur if you are sick. With the new temporary indicators, you will see a green "healing" indicator in your inventory when this state is occurring."

Very helpful video from Sacriel explaining DayZ SA Health and blood system.

Bleeding
  • There are three different types of bleeding at the moment, the third not as important because it means CERTAIN death due to blood loss amount. But the two are - Dribbling (small cut or only been open a short time), and then the player mentioning that it feels warm. Exact writing of it I can't remember. But it means you have lost a LOT of blood or have a deep wound. You can also see how much you are losing by the animation or blood shooting out of you if you play in third person. Use a bandage or rag to stop bleeding.

Hotbar System
  • Before I explain basic noob fighting tactics for zombies, I need to explain how to use the item system.
    One thing most don't learn right away is in this version of DayZ you have a quick slot function. When you press your inventory, you will see it down below. They are preset to 1-0 keys. When you pick up an item of use, a map, or compass, you put them in a slot so when you double click the number/keybind where it is placed it will put it into your hands. The compass is one of the different items in this game from the previous, instead of pressing a keybind to make the compass overlay appear, now you have to put it in your hands and raise it using space to see your heading.
  • This can also be used for medical supplies like rags. But it is also something that will save you night time bambis. If you put your torch into a quick slot (i like to use num-bind 3 due to location to WASD), it will allow you to put it away if you double click it. Which will allow you to put up your fists to beat on the zombie. After you put it away, wait the half a second then press space to make sure your fists are up.

Melee
    To engage ONE zombie do the following.
  • At night - Move into the light of moon, put away any items in hand using the double press function, yes even if you are holding a gun. Then put up your fists, once your fists are up punch for the head (chin, aim for chin and you will hardly miss), once the zombie falls over, hit X to crouch (or what ever you set it too) then punch the zombie while it is down, this should take 30-40 seconds or less if you land all your punches. I say crouch for good reason, because of how the melee works if standing and aiming down the punches will be aimed up higher then where your cursor is and you will miss most the hits. Crouching takes away the miss rate.
  • Daytime - basically like the night time version, but you can take them to a better area to fight them, like indoors or behind a tree. You will then repeat the beat down from the above paragraph. The best way to know they are dead is is they just lay flat on their back, due to them primarily falling face down if still alive.
  • With melee weapon, Bat; wrench, crowbar, any blunt type weapon - If you plan on using this horrible set of weapons, you will need to crouch. Due to the melee issue/animation, the white dot does not indicate weapon landing destination. You will want to hit their stomach if standing and to the left a little. If crouched, do the same but aim for diaphragm (breasts/upper chest). It will hit the head at times, if lucky and will kill in 6-10 hits.
  • With melee pointy, like bayonet and knife - Like punching, you just stab at face using white dot for guide line. Simple, but remember, like with fists, keep attacking them while they are down on the ground. THEY WILL GET UP! (best for 1v1 fighting with zombie, 2v1 if you are okay with taking damage)
  • With two handed sharp, Axe (not sure is shovel works the same) - Just aim at chest and hit twice, Dead every time. If lucky and hit head it is one shot. Best weapon for zombie killing without a doubt, always use if found and toss the rest.

Blood types
  • Everyone on DayZ has their own blood type like in real life. To find out what blood type you are you need to find a syringe and extract blood from yourself. Once you have done this you need to find a blood testing kit. Once you find out what blood type you are here's a little chart that explains who can take your blood and who you can take blood from.

Blood chart (Click to View)

Medical Supplies
    Tools
  • First Aid Kit: A red container with a white cross, used to assist in carrying medical supplies. These will help you keep your inventory tidy.
  • Blood bags: For blood transfusions. Requires a donor of the accepted blood type. (Check blood type chart above)
  • Saline bag: Used to revive an unconscious player. You need to add an IV Start Kit to enable you to give to the unconscious player.
  • IV Start Kit: Contains tools requited for IV delivery. You need to combine this with your blood bag to revive the blood. You can also combine this kit with a Saline bag.
  • Syringe: Used to extract blood for blood testing and inject antibiotics.
  • Defibrillator: Revives an unconscious player. Needs a battery to run.
  • Injection Vial: Unknown what's inside these yet. But they can be used with a Syringe to inject medicine to yourself/allies.
  • Blood Testing Kit: Used to test what blood you are or used on Blood bags.
  • Disinfectant Spray: Used to disinfect rags. Warning: Do not drink.

Physical Injury
  • Bandage: Allied to stop bleeding.
  • Rags: Crafted from unequipped shirts, can be applied to stop bleeding, dirty rags carry a risk of infection. 10-5% chance of infection.
  • Splints: Used to mend broken legs. You can craft these for broken legs. To craft them you need the following: Bandages + Sticks = Splints. Create one and it will drop on the floor. Click use on the splint and wait around 10 seconds.

Drugs and Health
  • Antibiotics tablets: Used to help cure disease.
  • Charcoal tablets: Used to help with food poisoning. You take these after drinking water. Sometimes when you drink something or eat something it has a chance to make you sick or ill. Taking one of these tablets will over a certain time ail your sickness.
  • Painkillers: To ease shaking as a result of pain.
  • Vitamin pills: Contains various vitamins to ensure good heath.
  • Epi-Pen: Used to awaken an unconscious player.
  • Water Purification tablets: Used to clean dirty pond water.
  • Rubbing alcohol: Used to clean wounds & disinfect rags.
  • Morphine: Use to mend breaks in bones.

Travel
  • Running: Running and sprinting can impact on your Energy. Never sprint for too long while a little blurry. To notice when not to sprint, listen to your characters breathing. If it gets near heavy, find a spot and press F3. You can now run a lot fast while a weapon is on your back.
  • Cars: Not going to be added until early BETA.
  • IN SEARCH for loot: A good tip to follow is to not stay near the coast line. They may seem like great places for loot but right now the servers need to restart to get loot to respawn. So look more inland for your looting, it shall be more profitable. Stick to roads but don't stand in the middle of them for you will be shot or charged/followed by stalkers like my self or bandits. Please remember this is an alpha and loot consistencies will change here and there.

Known location bugs.
  • Right now the most important one is when climbing ladders INSIDE a building. The new apartment buildings are the worst culprit of this, the upper ladder will make you fall once at the top, making you break a leg even at such a small fall. Avoid these at all cost.

Communication.
  • Communicating with other survivors may be in your favour. They may have something you need and maybe you can trade them for it.
  • Usually when people encounter other survivors they start yelling in panic "Friendly!" or "I'm friendly!" which, psychologically, has an opposite effect and doesn't really make the other guy believe you, especially in a game with severe trust issues involved like DayZ.

Here are several lines that were tested out to be better:

If you are in power - if you have weapons, positional advantage or numbers on your side.
  • "I won't shoot" / "We won't shoot"
  • "Do not worry, we are not bandits!" / "I am not a bandit, don't worry!"
  • "Hey man! Do you need anything? I/We just want to talk."
    Or other variations like: "I'm not a bandit! I won't shoot, don't be afraid!"

If you are in a weak spot - you are unarmed, the opponent outnumbers you or you don't know where they are hiding.
  • "I won't cause any trouble."
  • "I don't want any trouble."
  • "Do you need anything? I don't have much, but you can have it.""
  • "Do you need any help or is it okay if I just go on my way?"
  • "I am unarmed, I can't hurt you, man!"
  • "I don't have anything of value on me, man!"

If you both are in a state of power - if you and the other, be it a group or not, are armed and geared players the only way friendly encounters can work is if someone puts trust first and throws a gamble that it works.
  • "We won't shoot!" / "I won't shoot"
  • "We are not bandits!" / "I'm not a bandit. I do not kill on sight."
  • "No need for any trouble, gentlemen. We will be on our way!"
  • "Hello, gentlemen, don't worry we are nice guys. Do you guys need anything?"

Of course, be creative, since many variations work. The key is that you must make the other survivor(s) trust you.

Of course, these lines only work if you yourself have the intention of being friendly.

I will try my best to keep this updated.

RE: Survival Guide for new DayZ Standalone. - Bez - 2013-12-18 17:03

Bez - Added rockets quote about healing under the Health section.

Bez - Added Understanding the food/drink/energy/healing system.

Pipa the forums rules state nothing about using that feature. Also stop giving me pointless warnings for things that aren't on the forum rules.

RE: Survival Guide for new DayZ Standalone. - Savy - 2013-12-18 22:50

Bez, the feature is used for TC's to be able to warn or make a admin message without having to do it on their forum profile or make a post. You do not edit these messages, if you edit them again I will remove your rights to edit any posts.

RE: Survival Guide for new DayZ Standalone. - Bez - 2013-12-19 10:58

(2013-12-18 22:50)Savy Wrote:  Bez, the feature is used for TC's to be able to warn or make a admin message without having to do it on their forum profile or make a post. You do not edit these messages, if you edit them again I will remove your rights to edit any posts.

I didn't re edit them back. I just read Pipas admin thing and then removed it, since it wasn't a warning in the first place. All he needed to do was edit the post and remove the at and I would have seen.

RE: Survival Guide for new DayZ Standalone. - Bez - 2013-12-21 10:47

-Updated Medical supplies: Added First aid kit, Defibrillator, Injection Vial, Syringe, Blood test kits, Painkillers, Vitamin pills, Rubbing Alcohol & Splints.

-Added blood chart under new Blood types section & Also explaining how to find your blood type.

-Edited Running & Cars under Travel section.

If you feel anything missing send me a PM! Many thanks

-Bez

RE: Survival Guide for new DayZ Standalone. - Bez - 2013-12-28 01:05

-Added Communication section.

-Bez

RE: Survival Guide for new DayZ Standalone. - Bez - 2014-01-13 19:21

- Added helpful health/blood explanation video from Sacriel.
- Fine tuned some missing things.

-Bez

RE: Survival Guide for new DayZ Standalone. - Bez - 2014-02-06 11:29

-Updated video for newest patch for the DayZ SA Health/Food System.