[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: My bike wont start - what to do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys.

Must be someone here with a talent within mechanical stuff.

The thing is, that my bike wont start. It's a Honda CBF125 from 2010.

I can hear the crank going, and I tried igniting with the spark plug just in the cap, which made the spark plug.. Well spark. So that must mean that it does get electricity.

There's fuel in the tank, so that shouldn't be the problem either, from what I know of.

I changed the spark plug for a new one today, which sadly didn't help it either.

So I'm kinda stuck now. I cannot just push the bike to a start, as my old handlebars were bent in a minor accident, so I'm currently without handlebars, waiting for the new one to come in stock at the bike shop sometime next week.

It started perfectly after a mate and I had changed the rear cowl on it a month ago. The problem has been pending now for two weeks.

Here's a video I took just after I mounted the new spark plug today.

What should I do?
Did you check the obvious things? Gas tap set to open? Emergency breaker closed? Set choke to start?

Does it take fuel? The exhaust should smell like unburned petrol. If you get the petrol smell then there has to be something with the ignition. You could change the spark plug, or at least take it out of the engine (but still collected), hold it with the fingers, outside the engine, and look if the spark actually occurs where it should be if you hit the starter button.
It sounds like start engine might be lose or something have you check that?
Half of the things you mention, is things I have already tried (read OP Tongue)

I forgot to mention, that it's a fuel injection system bike, so no choke, no gas tap and as it's a small bike, there isn't any kill switch or emergency anything that could be the problem.

It smells like fresh petrol from the hole in the cylinder, where I put in the spark plug.
have you change ignition cable? it could be broke insdie my moped had that once it wouldent start like the same way your is
(2014-01-10 18:30)Cola Wrote: [ -> ]It smells like fresh petrol from the hole in the cylinder, where I put in the spark plug.

Well, check the plug then. You can clean it with no harm. To check it do it like this guy here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUOmsGiirTU
Just make sure the thread on the plug is in direct contact with the bike's frame (ground contact). Hit the starter and see if any spark occurs.
Chuck, did you read OP?

OP Wrote:I can hear the crank going, and I tried igniting with the spark plug just in the cap, which made the spark plug.. Well spark. So that must mean that it does get electricity.

OP Wrote:I changed the spark plug for a new one today, which sadly didn't help it either.
First things first: How long has it been parked for?

Try pulling the plug out again, cover the hole in the head firmly with your thumb and run the starter. It should be impossible to hold the compression in. It's a very basic test. but it should tell if the piston rings are stuck.

Have you tried giving it a shot of diesel start?

Edit: If any safety switch was on, it wouldn't make a spark. Silly me.
I do not know much about motorcycles but my guess would be that the ignition timing is off for some reason.
It's been standing since December 9th. I started it December 12th after me and my mate been fixing some cosmetic stuff on it. I went to try n start the bike 2 weeks ago, which was the first time I didn't start on me.

Leon, I'll try that test , and I'll have a look at the air filter tomorrow. I'll report back to you with any progress.

Thanks
Last time driving it, did you feel any loss of power?
Did it make a ringing noise when revving?
Try putting some gas directly into the cylinder having the spark plug out, then put the spark plug back in and try to start it.
Having the spark plug out, light through the hole and check if you can see any impacts or damages on the piston.
I was told that since my bike have a catalytic converter on it, I shouldn't do the gasoline directly into the cylinder trick, as it may cause damage to the cat.

I'll do a check through the hole tomorrow, for impacts/damages.

Thanks
(2014-01-10 21:50)Cola Wrote: [ -> ]I was told that since my bike have a catalytic converter on it, I shouldn't do the gasoline directly into the cylinder trick, as it may cause damage to the cat.

I doubt any damage will occur from such a small amount.
Hi Cola, I know somewhat about bikes mainly single cyl, have you tried cleaning the carb jet/jets? also when you go to start it give it some throttle and see if it tries to go, if that's the case then it could just be time for a carb clean. if its two stroke the oil could've thickened during its sitting period and make it hard to start but I don't think it would over the short time it sat. def check the carb and let me know. also if its not that then id say its got to be the starter, if it has a kick start then try to kick it over whilst doing small throttle pulses
It's a fuel injected bike = no carb unfortunately. Appreciate it though.
It hasn't got a kickstarter. Only electrical. Glare
ouch man Sad sorry I couldn't be of assistance
No worries. Appreciate it anyway. Smile
(2014-01-10 18:51)Cola Wrote: [ -> ]Chuck, did you read OP?

Well I did but probably misunderstood some parts. However, electronic controlled engines doesn't make things easy. Checking that all wires coming/going from the ECU are in place should be useful. There should also be an oxygen sensor where the cylinder is. Worth checking that too.
But in the end of the day, I'm afraid you have to take it in. Electronic controlled engines are difficult to fix without the professional diagnostic tools.
I'm not telling you to pour diesel start into the cylinder. That'd be madness Just spray it into the airfilter while turning the engine over.
What did the plug look like when you pulled it out?

Just because a spark plug makes a spark outside the bike, doesn't mean it will work once inside. Could be flooded, or poor compression, as Leon said above.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's