[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: PC problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys

Been having some problems with my PC

1) Freezing
2) Does not reboot when requested to, it just gets stuck in shutdown mode
3) When select shutdown it won't (have to shut it down from the tower)
4) Awful noise coming from speakers sometimes when it freezes

Now this is happening more often then not, twice a day some days
There is not much on my PC and have pretty much nothing running in the background.

any ideas on why this is happening would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Saphira
(2014-02-09 13:28)Saphira Wrote: [ -> ]4) Awful noise coming from speakers sometimes when it freezes

Is the noise just the thing you were listening to, but slowed right down?
if it is i may have had a similar problem with and old laptop.
Not exactly sure how i fixed that but i know for a fact it doesn't do that anymore

You could also try a virus scan if you haven't already Smile
I had a similar problem a few months ago with my PC. The SSD that held my windows and that kinda stuff was slowly dying, so it might be your SSD/HDD fading away.

Does it work normally for a bit and then freeze? Does it come back after the freezing?
Have done all necessary scans and found nothing

The noise comes through my speakers when PC freezes, this has happened about 4x's in last 5/6 weeks.
By the sounds of what you have said, you are having a similar problem to what i had, occasionally, the laptop would seemingly freeze and the audio (if there was any) continued but extremely slowed down and very loud, although after maybe 2 minutes it would sometimes go back to normal.
Not quite sure how this problem was solved but it has had a big cleanup of everything on there recently and now it works fine.

Other than that i cant think of anything else i could suggest to help :/
I had this exact same issue with my PC as Howlin will remember. I couldn't find a fix unfortunately, I restored the computer and that postponed the problems for a while but I ended up buying a new motherboard and CPU and that solved the error :/ it was an expensive one, but every diagnostic I did proved no result, the computer just appeared to slowly overload and freeze in the way you described.

Is your computer over clocked at all? Because my conclusion was that my CPU was dying as I believe that noise that you here when it freezes is an overload error on the CPU, so if you do not have a sound card especially, it just locks up. If it is over clocked, try and turn it down a little and hopefully it might fix its self overtime. For me the freezing started accelerating and became more and more frequent :/

I also noticed that it would only ever freeze if I was on desktop, if I was in a game like BF4 or LFS, it never froze. Have you noticed that?
I've had the same problem as you Saphire. I had Windows 7 and once or twice a month it would freeze and a screeching sound would play though my headset and I would have to force it to turn off on the back of the tower.

Also this Saphire:
(2014-02-09 14:20)LuckyLuke Wrote: [ -> ]I also noticed that it would only ever freeze if I was on desktop, if I was in a game like BF4 or LFS, it never froze. Have you noticed that?

It was something to do with one of my RAM sticks locking up because it was faulty. I took this out and it never happened again. Obviously something else could be locking your system up in your case but that's what my case was.

Try running Memtest86+ >>Link<< Make sure you have a USB stick so you can run this. Here's a Video you can follow on your Phone for help:

Let us know what the results are!
It is not overclocked, and hardly anything on the PC

@ bez Whoa that is going way to technical for me, i want to repair the PC not blow it up lol

Time to get my son in again!!

Local Disk C: 885GB free of 991GB

Maybe time to get new PC then Sad
how old is it?
About 2yrs old, maybe less

Froze up whilst typing this *sighs*

Have also noticed that everything takes so long to load up as well

i.e

LFS
Mozilla FF
Weather forums
TC forum and so forth
Have you recently physically cleaned it? Maybe its just the fans that are clogged up that are unable to provide proper cooling and causes freezing. Its as simple as buying an air-can and dusting the fans/heatsinks while the computer is closed and unplugged.

I dont think its virus/software based as its random. It can happen anytime and without any pattern then its an hardware issue. As Luke and Josh said, it might be your hard drive/memory.

Start with dusting your computer then have it looked by a professional. They will find the faulty part and it will be less costly than to replace the whole computer Wink
Forgot to mention that too, yeah try cleaning it out as Sebas said, i also tried that and it did improve the temperature and the freezing did reduce.
My son going to pop round in next few days and give it a clean etc. Well when i ask him that is lol

Thanks for helping out guys, 3x's today its froze and had to turn it off at the tower Sad
well, hope he can fix it for you Sad
Saphira, i had this problem before aswell.

it seemed that my cpu just got stuck and that was a problem.

what kind of PSU do u have??

How much Watt is it?
I have no idea Pat, im not very technical with PC's, problem still there and Tom as of yet can not figure out why the PC is doing it..
Tom suggested a complete Windows install and a reformat, so he shall be doing it when free.
Thanks guys for all the help and info, very much appreciated Smile
Okay Saph, good to hear that! i hope that helps!

Goddluck!
Tell tom to do a good job or he aint gettin paid ;P
Right...
Got new graphics card Geforce 650
And still having problems,, massive FPS drops from 130 to 8 game literally studders, then it rights itself after about 45 seconds.. I have no idea what is going on

EDIT
Almost like freeze frame motion
(2014-03-09 11:31)Saphira Wrote: [ -> ]Right...
Got new graphics card Geforce 650
And still having problems,, massive FPS drops from 130 to 8 game literally studders, then it rights itself after about 45 seconds.. I have no idea what is going on

EDIT
Almost like freeze frame motion

Did you install it corectly?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's