[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Earth Hour 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: WWF-EarthHourLogo_2010.jpg]

What is Earth Hour?

Earth Hour is a worldwide programme organized by the World Wide Fund for Nature to take a stand against the climate change. It was started as a lights-off event in Sidney, Australia in 2007. The event is held towards the end of March annually, encouraging people to turn off their non-necessary lights for one hour as a symbol for their commitment to the planet.

Earth Hour around the world

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThzAhcbqW6Xq7QKQbfm06...AhAldaASbd]

[Image: toronto-earth-hour-300x197.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhm7x2Ln88_41fwzR7r72...2PtZjnf4IQ]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoPcs5zIfWeipU9avvL6p...EUqpncgcIJ]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZBpaL01qvWJp3uwsznoT...6i_gpGWt6A]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2KUPlJkbUhegepBq96mU...jPOoenYo_w]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1vJYFJNyLFK1C2aYFGqb...b5HFBGk2xh]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYhFUzzj3SjLqIIQcchZR...xdxx3CbV5W]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJLCvcS5zNVOSub0QI9dE...9FfTd0NEaQ]

Now it's your turn. Earth Hour 2014 is held 29.3.2014 from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m (post meridiem) local time.
How the people have been celebrating Earth Hour? Scroll down and see the videos below.
Get more information from http://www.earthhour.org/
Wouldn't it be better if people followed this 'rule' all the time instead of just one hour a year? Lol.
Just no.
Already using smart lights and programmed switches to lower my power usage. So I guess i'm already doing it 365days a year?
Just yes, i have one of the lowest electric bills you can imagine.
My bill pretty much comes to around £150 a year. I refuse to have anything on that is not necessary and waste my money..simple..
Yup, indeed. This should be daily, not annual. I love events like this, I'm definitely going out when it starts. Seeing the city being dark. Wink

Saphira Wrote:My bill pretty much comes to around £150 a year.
Wow, that's impressive. I'm a little bit jealous at the moment..
I'm going to run. All 4 of my cars, turn all the lights on, all the ac on, all the computers and tvs on, start a huge bonfire and post the results. Climate change cause by humans is so infinitesimal that it doesn't matter. The earth goes through natural hot and cold cycles we haven't done anything to change that.
(2014-03-28 19:59)Blade3562 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to run. All 4 of my cars, turn all the lights on, all the ac on, all the computers and tvs on, start a huge bonfire and post the results. Climate change cause by humans is so infinitesimal that it doesn't matter. The earth goes through natural hot and cold cycles we haven't done anything to change that.

Wow. Watch out guys!
Blade, would you like to provide a source for that? FOX News doesn't count.

I'll happily provide sources as to why you're partially correct - yes, the Earth does have hot and cold cycles for a variety of reasons - however we are definitely making an impact on the planet. There's a reason that 97% of scientists (you know, the people who research this) believe that humans are having an adverse impact on the planet and it's environment. What point do you expect to prove by needlessly wasting energy that you otherwise wouldn't have used on a daily day? It's an utterly irrelevant protest.

Instead of running all that, just try running, it might do you some good. It'll at least get you off the forums for a bit.
I will be participating by putting more lights on.

Now that will get some proper hate.

Why couldn't people then do it normally every day Tongue. Why does it has to have a pointless 1 hour, don't you supposed to feel bad then as the 1h is complete and you put lights back on, which - if you participated - clearly didn't need in the past hour.
Is Nick making sense or wth is going on here?
hahah lol
hm 40 liters tank in golf and let it just stand on idle? would take age for gas go away just in idle 0.6 is it only drinking, nha not gonna do it haha
How is Earth Hour celebrated around the world?

Australia
_______

Australia, China, Japan, South Korea
_______

South Korea, Indonesia, Taiwan, Philippines
_______

Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia, South Korea, Australia
_______

Hong Kong, Macau, Thailand
_______

Singapore, Pakistan, Australia
_______

India, Iran, Brunei
_______

Earth Hour highlights 1
_______

Singapore, Pakistan, Australia
_______

United Arab Emirates, Russia, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Iran
_______

Greece, Bulgaria, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Finland, UAE, Macedonia
_______

Croatia, Germany, Wales, Kenya, Lebanon
_______

Earth Hour higlights 2
_______

France, Latvia, England, Palestine Territories, Macedonia
_______

Chech Rebublic, Morroco, Netherlands, Italy
_______

Nepal, Palestine Territories, India, South Africa, Tunisia, Spain
_______

Macedonia, Brazil, Palestine Territories, Portugal, India
_______

Brazil, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, Vatican city
_______

Mexico, Grenada, Macedonia, Aruba, Russia, Chivago, Las Vegas
_______

Earth Hour higlights 3
_______

Canada, Japan, Dubai, Madagascar
_______
First link on Google explains both sides to an extent. http://science1.nasa.gov/science-news/sc...st20oct_1/

it's hard to explain to environmental loonies but if you look back every decade a different gas is destroying the environment. It's really not. It's a matter of us using up other natural resources like trees that purify the air naturally. You also have to realize we now have 7 billion people who are also living longer than people from the 1000AD to 1850AD so naturally humans are producing more "exhaust" gas than before as well. Mother nature is a complex butch.
^ Stupid facts (for this topic) about an important matter. How does it matter if we live longer now than 1000AD and produce more stuff than then, when if we continue doing this the guys 3000AD won't see 3000AD.
There is a bit more than just global warming, whether your scientists of choice believe in it or not. But common sense would say that interfering with a system which had worked over millions of years perfectly can't be good. Human kind produces a lot more pollution than just CO2 and which results are way more direct and already impacting on each one of us. Like asthma, allergies and cancer. There is smog in the cities, polluted water and more nuclear waste every day. Common sense would also say that wasting limited resources can't be good for anyone, don't you think?
Reference URL's