[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Chernobyl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know how many of you guys pay attention to or know about the Chernobyl incident but it has always fascinated me. This new arch they are building is just impressive! It's been an ongoing saga. Maybe one day we will return and use the other reactors.

http://nytimes.com/2014/04/28/science/pu...nobyl.html

Men in the Unit 2 Control Room!
[Image: CHERNOBYL-1-articleLarge.jpg]
Something seems "old" about that image you posted, was it really shot on site, when the reactor was running?
Chernobyl might be interesting and new topic to you, northern americans. But for europeans its old news lol. + i find it rather disturbing, not interesting since russia has many similar plants, somewhat close to finland too..
Sure the disaster old news but the fact that we are now making leaps in a good direction at a sight that was literally obliterated 28 years ago. Plus the size of the arch is just massive! Ant feat of architecture is cool in my book haha.

I live about an hour from 2 nuclear plants and my hometown isn't far from 3 mile island. Nuclear energy is very efficient and safe when dealt with properly but human error and not following protocol can cause mass destruction. Catch 22.
I trust finnish nuclear power W00t thats it.
(2014-04-29 11:41)Juntu Wrote: [ -> ]I trust finnish nuclear power W00t thats it.

Wikipedia:
Located in Loviisa, on the south coast (Gulf of Finland), the plant comprises two VVER-440 pressurized water reactors built by Soviet Atomenergoexport, but fitted with Western instrumentation, containment structures and control systems.

Wink

And by the way, the Chernobyl disaster could be caused, because ALL safety systems were switched off, and the reactor was forced into a state that could not be the case in normal working conditions.

The reactor was forced to way lower/higher pressures than normal, to test if the control systems would respond to that.
Clearly they didn't respond in an adequate way.
(2014-04-29 05:51)Juntu Wrote: [ -> ]Chernobyl might be interesting and new topic to you, northern americans. But for europeans its old news lol. + i find it rather disturbing, not interesting since russia has many similar plants, somewhat close to finland too..

I actually find it quite interesting aswell. It came with a tremendous cost, but it has helped us gaining knowledge in safety, failsafes and contamination. The mere fact that you have people working that close to the sarchophagus (the structure built around the melted reactor), while building the arch Blade mentions, goes to show that some development has happened.
I've always thought of this as really interesting. Heard about this "Elephant foot" the other day. Apparently if you're near it for 300 seconds, you'll die within two days. That's how much radioactivity it emits.

You can read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corium_(nuc...l_accident http://nautil.us/blog/chernobyls-hot-mes...ill-lethal
and several other places.

In the spoiler below, are some pictures that were taken by it. Apparently no one knows what happened to the photographers afterwards. Later, several pictures were taken using mirrors around the hallway corners, to prevent the camera from simply burning up.

I remember hearing about that before. I wonder how much the "foot" weighs? It has to be very dense!

Wasn't it just overexposing the film basically without using a mirror?

Arch Pics

This has been my background for at least 5 years

Another cool pic
There's a really interesting documentary somewhere on youtube about the guys that found the elephants foot and took those pictures. I'll see if I can find it again.
I have seen quite a few programs on Chernobyl and i also find it an incredibly interesting topic to discuss with others Tongue
I think this is the one. It's quite interesting for those who want to watch.

If you find this scary, read up on Russias "Dead Hand" system. That's some scary ass shit, right there.
I'm watching that documentary. It's amazing the conditions some of those men endured.
Reference URL's