[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: GameSpy closure
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: gamespy.png]

What is GameSpy?

GameSpy was a provider of online multiplayer and matchmaking middleware for video games. The company originated from a Quake fan site founded by Mark Surfas in 1996; after the release of a multiplayer server browser for the game, QSpy, Surfas licensed the software under the GameSpy brand to other video game publishers through a newly-established company, GameSpy Industries, which also incorporated his Planet Network of video game news and information websites, and GameSpy.com.

To the main piece of news..

Hundreds of video games - including those made by EA, Ubisoft, Gearbox, Nintendo, Konami, Capcom, 5th Cell, Koei, Firaxis, and more - may be taken offline as Glu's GameSpy multiplayer servers shut down on May 31. This is devastating for thousands of players as many old games, which used GameSpy as a multiplayer server provider, will or may be dying out.

Full list of affected games

Reddit's compilation of affected games

If you find a game which you've played in the past, feel free to have a good time with it until the servers shut down. Relive your memories and let the great company rest in peace.
I thought Gamespy shut down ages ago. Ohmy
Gamepy prematurely switched off the legendary tdu 1 servers in favour of the shitefest that was tdu2 in a desperate attempt to boost sales, and for that i say good riddance.
(2014-05-09 21:05)BoyPower Wrote: [ -> ]I thought Gamespy shut down ages ago. Ohmy

That's also what I thought.
GameSpy gaming news website shut down in Feb 2013. They had sold off GameSpy Technologies before that, so it lasted longer. That's why people may think GameSpy shut down a while ago.
Well no more ArmA 2 OA after the 31st Does this = no more dayz mod and other fun mods Ohmy
I think some games are trying to move to other servers.
Reference URL's