[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Funniest DUI stop in history
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just watch it to the end.

For those wondering: In some places, (Mostly a couple of states in the US) they don't use breathalyzers to check whether people are under the influence or not. Instead, they do a field sobriety test. In these tests, one's balance and motor skills are tested. If the suspect is under the influence of alcohol, these skills are impaired and people therefore are prone to fail. If the subject fails, and only then, other than the person being extremely drunk, they can legally obtain a blood test.

That's what makes this video extra funny.
I loved every second of that!
Haha epic Tongue
So, what is the point of using a field test instead of a breathalyzer? Other than to amuse the officers...(?)
(2014-06-05 22:37)Audiojack Wrote: [ -> ]So, what is the point of using a field test instead of a breathalyzer? Other than to amuse the officers...(?)

Because it is found highly debatable by some, whether or not the breathalyzer (PBT) is more accurate than the field sobriety test (FST). One example of this, is if you eat a strong mint flavoured piece of candy and blow into the PBT device, you can actually fail the test. Same goes if you've drunk a tiny amount of alcohol just prior to the test. It's beyond my technical grasp and I cba to read up on how it works, but it's got something to do with the alcohol being in your lungs rather than blood.

An FST on the other hand, tests the suspects balance and motor skills with simple physical tasks that any non impaired person can do. It's also got quite alot to do with U.S judicial system, where a PBC test is admissable in court. The FST builds probable cause for a PBC done in custody.

The case in the video is taken to extremes either because it's a fake, or because the officer knows he's drunk and he manages to pass the tests. You can hear his voice is slurry.
(2014-06-05 13:37)Leon Wrote: [ -> ]For those wondering: In some places, (Mostly a couple of states in the US) they don't use breathalyzers to check whether people are under the influence or not. Instead, they do a field sobriety test. In these tests, one's balance and motor skills are tested.

We generally do both at a traffic stop if the driver is suspected to be over the legal BAC limit.
Edit: Actually watched the video... it's "Reno 911!"...funniest show ever lmao thanks for sharing Wink
Over here you take the breathalyzer and when the reading suggest a DUI, then you have to give a blood sample at the station.
(2014-06-06 10:31)Pipa Wrote: [ -> ]Over here you take the breathalyzer and when the reading suggest a DUI, then you have to give a blood sample at the station.

Same here. But anyways this is to funny when he starts to dance haha
(2014-06-06 10:31)Pipa Wrote: [ -> ]Over here you take the breathalyzer and when the reading suggest a DUI, then you have to give a blood sample at the station.

Same here. I think most, if not all, European countries do it like this.
(2014-06-06 15:34)Leon Wrote: [ -> ]Same here. I think most, if not all, European countries do it like this.

Good thing, i really can't dance without being drunk.
(2014-06-06 15:41)Pipa Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-06 15:34)Leon Wrote: [ -> ]Same here. I think most, if not all, European countries do it like this.

Good thing, i really can't dance without being drunk.

At least you can. If I ever consider dancing, I'm too drunk to stand up.
Reference URL's