[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Headset white noise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After hearing "ermagerd, ur ech0 iz so badd, y u no headset?!" 17 trillion times, I went and invested in an ermagerd 1337 haxxor headset. It's expensive as *Removed* and apparently doesn't work.

The headset in question is a Raze Carcharias, haxxor pro elite.

[Image: razer-carcharias-gallery-2.png]

I got home, plugged the audio and microphone jack in and finally the USB plug. Immediately after, there was an insane interference in the headset. You could still hear audio and such, but the interference - that seemed to be originating from the spawn of Satan, the computer - is uncomfortably loud. I grabbed my iPhone 5 charger, hooked the headset to it and plugged it into an extension cord. The interference was reduced to almost zero, but there is still quite a lot of white noise. I have tinnitus and white noise exacerbates it, which probably makes me more sensitive than others, but I actually think that most people would find the white noise level too high.
I've tried connecting the headset to my laptop, but the white noise is still present.

Before you ask, I can't return it, but I'm 99.9% sure that it's not the headset that's faulty.

Plox help.
try unplug usb and just use audio & microphone jack
Doesn't work without USB power.
Could be the onboard soundcard on the motherboard causing the problem, try the rear ports if the PC if you can, if you're plugging in to the front.

You could always buy a decent USB soundcard to separate it from the motherboard. I believe the headset is amplified with the USB, and the audio jacks are simply providing the signal.
You probably don't wanna hear it, but most of the recent reviews on Amazon complain about unbearable noises on this thing.
After wasting hundreds of Euros in headsets, I finally found my peace in a simple "crap" thing like this http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00B3SCX...UTF8&psc=1
Connected to a cheap USB sound dongle, since my PC produces a lot of interferences on the analogue audio-wires.
(2014-07-01 01:27)Zipppy Wrote: [ -> ]Could be the onboard soundcard on the motherboard causing the problem, try the rear ports if the PC if you can, if you're plugging in to the front.

You could always buy a decent USB soundcard to separate it from the motherboard. I believe the headset is amplified with the USB, and the audio jacks are simply providing the signal.

I'm using the rear ports as the fronts don't work at all.

The interference seems to be coming from the USB itself, yes, but will a dedicated sound card have a USB port?

(2014-07-01 06:15)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]You probably don't wanna hear it, but most of the recent reviews on Amazon complain about unbearable noises on this thing.
After wasting hundreds of Euros in headsets, I finally found my peace in a simple "crap" thing like this http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00B3SCX...UTF8&psc=1
Connected to a cheap USB sound dongle, since my PC produces a lot of interferences on the analogue audio-wires.

Aw man! Sad

Thanks anyway, Chuck.
I've had a similar problem before. If i recall i did some magic with the drivers.. Cant really remember but if you had some drivers with the soundcard or the headset, try removing and installing again or searching for other drivers from the wonderful google.
(2014-07-01 17:05)Juntu Wrote: [ -> ]I've had a similar problem before. If i recall i did some magic with the drivers.. Cant really remember but if you had some drivers with the soundcard or the headset, try removing and installing again or searching for other drivers from the wonderful google.

It seems that drivers don't exist for this headset. I've tried Googling it, but there aren't any sites with actual drivers.
(2014-07-01 20:50)Leon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-01 17:05)Juntu Wrote: [ -> ]I've had a similar problem before. If i recall i did some magic with the drivers.. Cant really remember but if you had some drivers with the soundcard or the headset, try removing and installing again or searching for other drivers from the wonderful google.

It seems that drivers don't exist for this headset. I've tried Googling it, but there aren't any sites with actual drivers.

Usually you can find drivers automatically in Device Manager by right clicking on the hardware's name and selecting Update Driver Software.

Also, I found some URLs which could help the problem:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/6189...ing-sounds

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/tech-sup...ant-static
I've been reading around for a while now and for your problem, the only thing that works (apparently) is to plug it into a grounded socket.. But if that doesnt take away the problem 100% then.. well.. that sucks!

Sorry man, I know it hurts!
(2014-07-01 15:45)Leon Wrote: [ -> ]I'm using the rear ports as the fronts don't work at all.

The interference seems to be coming from the USB itself, yes, but will a dedicated sound card have a USB port?
I don't think a soundcard exists with it's own USB port. What I'm saying is a cheap USB audio dongle with inputs, which could lower interference slightly.
(2014-07-01 22:44)Zipppy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-01 15:45)Leon Wrote: [ -> ]I'm using the rear ports as the fronts don't work at all.

I don't think a soundcard exists with it's own USB port. What I'm saying is a cheap USB audio dongle with inputs, which could lower interference slightly.

Hm, I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. I have an analog headset (mic/audio jacks only) and it works flawlessly with no interference. Doesn't that mean that the mainboard isn't the issue?

Again, I have no understanding of this.
I'm not sure you're aware. But from what I see, your headset exists of two parts:

1) A classic headset, that only needs the two audio jacks to be connected
2) and a USB soundcard that outputs to the headphones as well. (If you connect the USB cable, a new soundcard should appear in the Windows Sound control panel)

I've got some other headset that uses the same scheme.
However, that means you can use both of the channels independently. Not sure if that helps but I wanted to clarify some points. You can try playing music via the analogue wire or USB cable by setting the default audio output in Windows to the particular soundcard/output. Also, try only connecting either ONE of the green analogue wire or USB cable. Maybe it helps locating the actual source.
Kinda hard to say something clever without having the device in own hands.
(2014-07-03 16:02)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure you're aware. But from what I see, your headset exists of two parts:

1) A classic headset, that only needs the two audio jacks to be connected
2) and a USB soundcard that outputs to the headphones as well. (If you connect the USB cable, a new soundcard should appear in the Windows Sound control panel)

I've got some other headset that uses the same scheme.
However, that means you can use both of the channels independently. Not sure if that helps but I wanted to clarify some points. You can try playing music via the analogue wire or USB cable by setting the default audio output in Windows to the particular soundcard/output. Also, try only connecting either ONE of the green analogue wire or USB cable. Maybe it helps locating the actual source.
Kinda hard to say something clever without having the device in own hands.

You can be quite certain that I am not aware. That's the general standard with me Wink

I found a picture with all the connectors. Hopefully that clarifies a bit.

[Image: 3717117_eab0b0ec-c3be-11e3-b853-e7b14908a8c2.jpg]

I think I understand what you're saying, but I'm not entirely sure about the whole soundcard thing.

If I only connect the 3.5mm jack and not the USB plug, the headset doesn't power on and there is no sound what so ever. The white noise starts the moment I connect the USB plug regardless of the green/red 3.5mm jacks being plugged in or not.

Some people might say that it's meant to be like that, but I blatantly refuse to believe that the target audience of a headset that expensive, doesn't care about sound quality.
I'm not sure what "powers on" means in this context. Any lights on it are likely just decoration. It may be there is builtin amplifier that needs USB power, but I haven't seen such a device before. Have you tried connecting just the green one to a different source? Like a mp3 player? You could also combine this, with the USB connected to a different power source than the PC. Like this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31...SX300_.jpg
Or a power-bank accu. Whatever is handy.

The scheme I've outlined above is just a common scheme for those "gamer's" headsets these days. It doesn't mean yours is 100% built like that. I've checked the manual online, but it raises more questions that it answers.

If you have the option, try sending it back.
Leon, I bought the exact same headset as you and experience the same problem.

If you google for a bit you will see its mostly because of the 'USB Power' Nothing much you can do with it. I couldn't stand it and just sent it back and listed as faulty.
(2014-07-04 05:57)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure what "powers on" means in this context. Any lights on it are likely just decoration. It may be there is builtin amplifier that needs USB power, but I haven't seen such a device before. Have you tried connecting just the green one to a different source? Like a mp3 player? You could also combine this, with the USB connected to a different power source than the PC. Like this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31...SX300_.jpg
Or a power-bank accu. Whatever is handy.

The scheme I've outlined above is just a common scheme for those "gamer's" headsets these days. It doesn't mean yours is 100% built like that. I've checked the manual online, but it raises more questions that it answers.

If you have the option, try sending it back.

By powering on, I mean the logos on the headset illuminate and you can hear the speakers receiving a signal. I think that - like you said -it uses an USB powered amplifier and that it is picking up interference via that. If I only connect the green jack, I don't receive any signal, regardless of source. I tried powering it via a USB charger and connecting the audio jack to my iPad, but the white noise is exactly the same.

All of this, combined with what Mikee said, points to this being a flaw of the headset. However, I'm still having a hard time believing that this is acceptable on such a high priced item.
These kind of weird problems is exactly the reason I don't buy anything razer. I had a lycosa before and the touch panel would keep sending next track to my PC, even though I didn't even touch it. Then the s key was constantly sticking in windows, so it would just spam any program I had with 's', I would have to reconnect the keyboard every time to fix those above problems and it happened almost daily. Both problems were fixed as soon as I bought a G510 to replace it, never had a problem after that.

Just waiting for my razer mousepad to explode or something now.
Reference URL's