[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Scottish Referendum-Does anyone actually care?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Read title

I really don't see the point of the media hype.
No.
(2014-09-10 19:44)Stunna Wrote: [ -> ]No.
(2014-09-10 19:44)Stunna Wrote: [ -> ]No.
Well yea it kinda does.

It may seem dramatic, but how someone decides to vote in Scotland could alter the course of modern history. The prospect of a not-so Great Britain could make it easier for the Conservatives to get re-elected at next year’s General Election. One of the Tories’ pledges, if they do get re-elected, is to hold a referendum on UK membership to the EU in 2017. Without a pro-EU Scottish voter base, there is a real chance that the UK could vote to leave the EU.

If the UK leaves the EU then this could make it hard for the Union to continue in its current form. It may seem that the UK and the EU are like an old married couple, continually picking at each other, but the UK holds an important position that is vital for keeping the Union alive. It is a powerful counterbalance to Germany – the other powerhouse in the Union. France, the second largest economy in the EU, has proven itself unable to stand up to Germany. It is going through a duel political and economic crisis of its own, and harsh economic reforms could leave the government of France impotent for some time.
For a tiny second I thought Lewis knew his shizzle, then I saw he copied it from here: http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate-uk...or-europe/

Tongue
God no haha
I'm not fussed, but all I can say is that Scotland will probably struggle financially without the support from England, which was a big part of the discussion... Not saying Scotland will crash as Ireland managed but it's still a huge risk so I'm mostly interested to whether they will come crawling back if they do decide to leave Smile
(2014-09-10 20:59)LuckyLuke Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not fussed, but all I can say is that Scotland will probably struggle financially without the support from England, which was a big part of the discussion... Not saying Scotland will crash as Ireland managed but it's still a huge risk so I'm mostly interested to whether they will come crawling back if they do decide to leave Smile

Well all the tax payers money that is getting spent on pretty much every cabinet member in Westminster going on a jolly to America (£500,000) will not be coming out of our pocket if we go independent.

Most of the vast income from oil in the our part of the North Sea goes directly to Westminster. There are claims that Scotland will be one of the wealthiest nations in Europe if we become independent.
(2014-09-10 20:23)Lewis Wrote: [ -> ]Well yea it kinda does.

It may seem dramatic, but how someone decides to vote in Scotland could alter the course of modern history. The prospect of a not-so Great Britain could make it easier for the Conservatives to get re-elected at next year’s General Election. One of the Tories’ pledges, if they do get re-elected, is to hold a referendum on UK membership to the EU in 2017. Without a pro-EU Scottish voter base, there is a real chance that the UK could vote to leave the EU.

If the UK leaves the EU then this could make it hard for the Union to continue in its current form. It may seem that the UK and the EU are like an old married couple, continually picking at each other, but the UK holds an important position that is vital for keeping the Union alive. It is a powerful counterbalance to Germany – the other powerhouse in the Union. France, the second largest economy in the EU, has proven itself unable to stand up to Germany. It is going through a duel political and economic crisis of its own, and harsh economic reforms could leave the government of France impotent for some time.

I really don't know anything at all about the relationship between Scotland and the rest of the UK, and what their power in the UK is. I can see major changes happening in the Scottish economy and international relations, and even Northern Ireland could get dragged into it, I however don't see how it could massively influence the relation between the UK and the EU.

Don't expect an answer from you unless you find something else to copy (lol).
No.
What the *Removed* is this?
Yes, I care...

Is this accurate Mikee?
(2014-09-10 21:11)Lewis Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-09-10 20:59)LuckyLuke Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not fussed, but all I can say is that Scotland will probably struggle financially without the support from England, which was a big part of the discussion... Not saying Scotland will crash as Ireland managed but it's still a huge risk so I'm mostly interested to whether they will come crawling back if they do decide to leave Smile

Well all the tax payers money that is getting spent on pretty much every cabinet member in Westminster going on a jolly to America (£500,000) will not be coming out of our pocket if we go independent.

Most of the vast income from oil in the our part of the North Sea goes directly to Westminster. There are claims that Scotland will be one of the wealthiest nations in Europe if we become independent.

I don't care politically, but I care about/interested the economics of what would likely happen if Scotland goes independent in the long-term.

Oil is never going to be a long-term, reliable, source of income and that seems to be what all hopes are pinned on. But, hey, anything could happen tomorrow!
I usually could care less about what happens in the UK lol 'Murica, but this can alter the world's economy and trade. What if Scotland were to rape it's oil sources then what's it economy base on? If Scotland breaks free will Wales and England split? What about North Ireland? What about currency and a military? Would the "Great Wall" of England be reserected. Borders, border crossing, deciding which country you want to live in etc. How about the splitting of national wealth/debt?

Seems like a stupid move in my opinion!
It's quite important for everyone really, it becomes a new country if the vote falls in favour of independence. I personally think it would be a bad idea for Scotland to go independent at this time because it's not yet self sufficient and quite a lot of the important decisions about its future have yet to be made.

The vote is tomorrow and even Gordon Brown (Scottish, ex UK prime minister) has said he does not support the vote for independence. It's quite a big thing for Great Britain too. Scotland will inherit a chunk of the national debt, not to mention that our flag will inevitably change should Scotland leave. The union flag would be no more Sad
Honestly, even though they have wanted to split for years, it seems almost "rushed". I think it's a high risk for both sides and not only is it a risk, I personally don't see much benefit out of it other than more freedom within their parliament, but to keep things stable requires a team effort in such a big economic place.
(2014-09-17 21:49)LuckyLuke Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, even though they have wanted to split for years, it seems almost "rushed". I think it's a high risk for both sides and not only is it a risk, I personally don't see much benefit out of it other than more freedom within their parliament, but to keep things stable requires a team effort in such a big economic place.

For the record, the remaining part of the UK would basically be fine but we'd lose an awful lot of history. Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland have done a lot of amazing things together, you don't need to be a historian to know why.
Well, I only have a very remote view on that but being part of something greater can't be that bad. Otherwise I can imagine the Russians come and make their own little "referedum" there.
Reference URL's