[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Python coding event?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,

Would anyone be interested in a series of python challenges with insim cash prizes if I were funding it?
Since I am starting a degree in computing this would be great!
Although I'm pretty noob, as you can tell from my thread.

I would enjoy the challenge. +1
Wouldn't say no. Just wondering why Python? Wouldn't it be better to set some sort of challenge and not be restrictive on the language people can use?
+1 from me!!!!
+1 from me if it wasn't restricted.
What do you guys mean by not restricted?

One challenge, any language?

Or one weekly challenge different language?
One competition for any language.
The thing is with that is if people were to move to more advanced languages then the amateurs would feel somewhat left out...

Hence using a language that can be learnt in about 2 hours...
2 hours lol
(2014-09-17 14:53)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Hence using a language that can be learnt in about 2 hours...

You can't learn any language properly in a week, let alone 2 hours.

Matt Wrote:The thing is with that is if people were to move to more advanced languages then the amateurs would feel somewhat left out...

This is not the case, restricting it to one language is more likely to restrict people. For instance, I am more competent in JS, PHP, Java, and C than I am with Python because I haven't done all that much with Python.

Have you ever heard of Code Golf? Simple challenges like: Make a string reverser without using any string reversal methods. People then try to do it in as few characters as possible in whatever language they like.

Another good Code Golf challenge I saw was: Make rock paper scissors with "r", "p" and "s" as the inputs and "win", "lose" and "draw" as the outputs.
...it may be worth experimenting, that.

Free entry or a little something towards a prize pool?

And who would judge it.
(2014-09-18 00:26)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]...it may be worth experimenting, that.

It gets my vote

(2014-09-18 00:26)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Free entry or a little something towards a prize pool?

That's up to whoever's organising it. Doesn't seem like it really needs prizes though since most people will find what they learn to be rewarding enough?

(2014-09-18 00:26)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]And who would judge it.

That depends on the challenge. For example, if it's Golf, then the judge is a) whether the code does what it should and b) the number of characters, the shorter the better.
Since the very first post I was wondering what that thing would actually look like? Did anyone think of that at all?
(2014-09-18 05:29)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]Since the very first post I was wondering what that thing would actually look like? Did anyone think of that at all?

Not yet, first off Matt needs to decide what the challenge will be.
Stumbled upon that today, might fit to this topic:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...se.android
Reference URL's