[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Rim fixing: possible to DIY?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there,

I came across some rims i've always wanted for my car. Normally they would cost up to €400 2nd hand, but this dude sells them for €80.

Why? Well, because he totally ****** them up.

Now my question is, would this be possible to fix them myself? I've seen that MCM vid where they fix a rim too, and i'm not that unhandy Biggrin so i thought maby i could do it..

What do you guys think?
Has anyone done something like that before? Or something familiar? Let me know!

Jappe
I did that the other day when my uncle bought his new rims, they were a disaster until we sanded down the edges and gave them a new layer of paint right after sanding them and giving a wash. Next time I will go over to see him, I will take a pic and post it here Wink
go for it.
That's 20 percent of the price you'd pay. Also, if you can't get rid of the scratches now, you can still do it later and 80 euros is a bargain!
Those don't look so bad, should be easy Thumbup
If they are not bended just sand them and add paint Smile Should take max few days
I've emailed him and the rims are not cracked, so that's a good thing. Maby i'll buy them and fix them during the winter, so i have nice and shiny rims to put on when the weather gets nice again next year Smile
Go for it!

Smile
He has already seen that Jim Biggrin
must be blind today then haha, sorry for youtube link again
Just make sure they're not bent! A rim can be bent quite alot without being noticeable to the naked eye. Check if there is any (evidence of) long row of weights or, if possible, take it to a wheel shop and have them spun on the balancing machine.
If they have/one of them has a long row of weights, does that mean they're/it's badly bent? Or is that fixable when i take it to a wheel shop?
My one rim is little bent and i still use it, shakes the steering wheel a bit between 100kmh-110kmh but idc Smile
(2014-11-02 13:50)Jappe Wrote: [ -> ]If they have/one of them has a long row of weights, does that mean they're/it's badly bent? Or is that fixable when i take it to a wheel shop?

No. A large amount of weights can also be because of imbalance in the tyre that was/is mounted, so it's more of an indication than proof. To see if it's bent, you'll need to spin it.

However, €80 isn't that much money. Go check them out and if there aren't any immediate red flags, buy them. If 1 or 2 of them end up being slightly bent, throw them on the rear axle and you won't feel any vibration in the steering wheel. Counterweights can compensate for quite alot.

Quote:My one rim is little bent and i still use it, shakes the steering wheel a bit between 100kmh-110kmh but idc Smile

That's why you put the rims with the most weights on the rear axle Wink
Yea, €80 isnt that much indeed, especially not for these beauties Smile I might do it, it's still a 360km trip then.. Biggrin
Reference URL's