[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: [GUIDE] DIY PC side window mod
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: d646d691e689859681c024981e833884.png]

What do I need?
• Sandpaper grit 100-500 or thereabouts, doesn't matter too much.
• Spray paint of your favorite color
• Masking tape
• A few hours of time.

How do I do it?
By following this guide!

Step One:
Remove the windowed side panel from your PC case.

[Image: 2lZBOsL.jpg]

Step Two:
Mask up the inner (very important) side of the panel with masking tape around the edge of the clear plastic. Do NOT paint on the outside of the panel, you will not recieve the wanted effect.

[Image: XSwFF3h.jpg]

Step Three:
Sand down the plexi-glass/acrylic glass with sandpaper.
I used 100 grit, as it was the only stuff I had left except for 60 grit.
Don't press too hard, as the plastic is rather soft.
Remember, that you just need to roughen up the surface so that the paint has something to properly attach to.
After sanding, rip a newspaper apart and curl it together, now you want to 'after-sand' the surface you just sanded with the newspaper.
This smoothes out the surface slightly. I found it easiest to use circular motions with the newspaper ball.
Now clean off any excess dirt, paper or sand with an air compressor, a wet cloth or similar.
Make sure you get out into the edges on your surface.

[Image: 7C41Fy7.jpg]

Step Four:
After sanding, you are pretty much at the point of no return. Now you have to paint the acryllic/plexi-glass panel.
You don't need any special primer here unless you are using any other color than white, black or grey. Have lots of newspaper or cardboard under your panel, so that you don't get any overspray or spray through any vent holes (if applicable) in the side panel.
When you spray on the paint, you want to spray on a thin layer of paint, one layer at a time. Do smooth motions from side to side, and don't stop spraying before you have exceeded your plexi-panels edge. If you are unsure about how to properly spray on a layer of paint, do a Google-search or search for an instructable on YouTube for reference.
Spray on 2-3 layers of paint, depending on the thickness of your layers. I went with two layers which turned out fine.

The below picture shows progress of spraying on second layer of paint. Make sure to wait spraying on the second layer of paint until the first one is dry enough for you to touch it without getting paint on your fingers.

[Image: WA6PSc6.jpg]

Step Five:
Wait for the second layer of paint to dry.

[Image: 15YBFBb.jpg]

Step Six:
Once dry, remove the masking tape and newspapers

[Image: PVxXQAe.jpg]

[Image: 9il9dUp.jpg]

Step Seven:
Turn it over and enjoy the view

[Image: 1J0C1QI.jpg]

Mine is almost like a black mirror.

[Image: 2My7bJc.jpg]

Step Eight:
Mount it to your PC and enjoy a new clean look