[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Auto !siren- when pulling someone over
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Simple: When you're pulling someone over as a cop, I think there should be an automatic !siren- when the fine screen appears.
As it disappears, there could be a !siren+ again.

Mainly because it is annoying to A) approach a siren screen, slow down, to discover it's only someone who has been pulled over, and B) to keep telling cops to turn their sirens off when pulling someone over.
Great idea, +1.
and add a caution button on the finelist, if its needed, and let it go automatic off if the user accepted? lel

btw +1
(2014-12-03 19:43)Sadie Wrote: [ -> ]and add a caution button on the finelist, if its needed, and let it go automatic off if the user accepted? lel

Tbh you should have that binded anyway Tongue
But yeah, why not.
I am using TC lights and after I pulled someone over, I type once PG Up and Pg Dn to get siren and lights off. Though it's easiest thing to do, but I must say, I have no idea if people still see visual siren's on their screen.
Karak's idea could make it easier for people who "forgot" (or don't "care" if they active) their sirens on.
Anyway, I like that idea.
@Sadie bind it and wholaa, you may use it anytime you think, it has been dangerous place for traffic. And btw, if you type your bind for caution twice, it will be removed. No need for 2nd bind.
People need to get in the habit of switching to hazard or caution like I did.

This idea is great if it would be able to switch to a caution automatically or something.

+1 from me, good idea Karak
Smile
(2014-12-03 21:12)Nismo Wrote: [ -> ]This idea is great if it would be able to switch to a caution automatically or something.

Similar thing was suggested here. It wasn't really approved of though, because the InSim is not able to determine whether a !caution is needed.
(2014-12-03 19:34)KaraK Wrote: [ -> ]Mainly because it is annoying to A) approach a siren screen, slow down, to discover it's only someone who has been pulled over

This then leads to that peoples start ignoring sirens because they think its next cop on side of road...

It is simple to pull over behind suspect at a suitable angle to the road then press bind !alloff and if it is danger place use !hazard+ because it will show only in direction what you are stoped. Pity that it makes few cops.

• Excellent idea if it is simply to insert into the existing Insim.
    +1
(2014-12-03 20:42)R.Fiets Wrote: [ -> ]I am using TC lights and after I pulled someone over, I type once PG Up and Pg Dn to get siren and lights off. Though it's easiest thing to do, but I must say, I have no idea if people still see visual siren's on their screen.
Karak's idea could make it easier for people who "forgot" (or don't "care" if they active) their sirens on.

This suggestion is for the visual sirens - the ones you visually become aware of (SIREN on your screen.) Audible sirens, however, are the ones you mentioned - the ones you hear.

On the other hand, I don't understand why people would start disrespecting visual sirens if they see them too much. People wouldn't casually disrespect them in real life either if they lived in a large and busy city.
Well, a stopped police car doesn't mean the entire thing is over, both suspect and cop can still suddenly pull off and the cop has to make sure his siren is working then.
However, there once has been the idea of a "traffic stop" signal to clearly indicate what's going on. Might be worth looking into that. The original idea came from Elmo iirc. It may be a bit tricky though, when people start interfering with their own buttons.

In the meantime, I appeal to everyone only to use the !hazard strictly by the book.
Everyone using it wrongly only helps to devalue it and make people ignore it sooner than later.

"The hazard sign must only be used under extremely dangerous circumstances where approaching cars are most likely to crash".
What Chuck said. The fact the suspect could bolt at any point means that the situation is still unpredictable and volatile. Letting traffic know that there is still a situation developing is a good thing.

Imagine a real life situation where a cop pulls over a miscreant. Their is always that air of uncertainty in the first few moments of that stop. The suspect could do anything.
I'm talking about the system doing !siren- as soon as the finelist appears, which means when both cars are standing still. As soon as one moves, the fine list disappears and the system turns on the siren again with !siren+.
When both cop and suspect are standing still, there is no other situation than two cars standing still. If a different situation develops, the siren is turned on again automatically.
By which time it might already be too late. I'm of the opinion that it's better to warn traffic of a potentially volatile situation.
completely without any siren or caution would be way too risky driving off into chasemode while traffic passing by...i see two reasonable options:

1) stop teaching to siren- and caution+ at a trafficstop in training. just leave siren on.

or what i could imagine working best:
2) cops in chase(only pre chase mode, not actual chasemode) at 0 kph automatically get !alloff, !caution+
and as soon as they move !alloff, siren+
or as soon as fine is accepted just a !alloff
I just keep siren on normally until the chase is over. If I manage to get one that does not want a chase then fine quickly with audiable siren turned off which works fine.
(2014-12-04 09:27)Barney Wrote: [ -> ]2) cops in chase(only pre chase mode, not actual chasemode) at 0 kph automatically get !alloff, !caution+

But there lies the problem again; the InSim is not able to detect whether the situation that they're currently sitting in is worthy of a caution.
(2014-12-04 09:27)Barney Wrote: [ -> ]1) stop teaching to siren- and caution+ at a trafficstop in training. just leave siren on.

+1 for that
(2014-12-04 09:41)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-12-04 09:27)Barney Wrote: [ -> ]2) cops in chase(only pre chase mode, not actual chasemode) at 0 kph automatically get !alloff, !caution+

But there lies the problem again; the InSim is not able to detect whether the situation that they're currently sitting in is worthy of a caution.

its always worth a caution since they might drive off suddenly
(2014-12-04 09:48)Barney Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-12-04 09:41)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]

its always worth a caution since they might drive off suddenly

Indeed, in which case the siren would go back on. Sometimes suspects may troll and park over on the grass quite far away from the road, meaning a caution wouldn't suffice.
I usually leave !siren on, why?
  • As mentioned above, a traffic stop is volatile, the situation could change in an instant, i.e. the suspect could literally shoot off and therefore it warns people to slow down a bit anyway. A caution or hazard might give a different impression, like the suspect is being helped or something. In fact, a caution or hazard shouldn't really be used because the suspect shouldn't be in a dangerous place.
  • I tend to keep traffic stops quite short, I'm not the type of person to be discussing the violation for literally 5 minutes, it will be over within 30 seconds.
  • This might be a poor argument but I feel if it was that important, some rule or InSim feature would've regulated it.
  • No one's told me off for doing it, whether that's a regular person, another admin or whatever.
  • I might forget to turn it back on. Tongue

I'll probably continue with what I was doing before.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's