[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: The time 7:30
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Ehm no Howlin, that doesnt make sense lol Tongue

Half eight is literally what we say and what it is.

[Image: clockfacepastto.gif]

Basically, some brits just use slang that actually means something else, because it's easier to say (i assume) Tongue
After googling I found out that Brits are too lazy to use the word "past". Half seven for the Brits means "Half past seven".

What Howlin said still doesn't make any sense though :'D
I once had a conversation with Leon about this, he said that you say 7:30 as "half eight" because it's halfway to eight or something along those lines, kinda didn't put that into words correctly. As for the slang that means something else, here it doesn't, ask any British person what the time is and they respond with "half eight" you know they mean 8:30. W00t
Its nearly "tomorrow" now.
Half seven here in the UK.
The poll might as well be called "So who's from the UK then?" Biggrin
(2015-02-16 23:59)Bez Wrote: [ -> ]Half seven here in the UK.
Posted: Yesterday, 23:59
(2015-02-16 23:49)Howlin Wrote: [ -> ]As for the slang that means something else, here it doesn't, ask any British person what the time is and they respond with "half eight" you know they mean 8:30. W00t
Maybe they all would do that, but it is still slang. The correct sentence will always be "half past eight" as also shown in the image above that i found in a english language time lesson article thingy Tongue

We're indeed saying half eight as "halfway to eight" because that's exactly what it is, 1/2 of the way to it being 100% eight. Don't think it can be explained any clearer Tongue
It's also halfway past seven, it works both ways.
(2015-02-17 00:05)Howlin Wrote: [ -> ]It's also halfway past seven, it works both ways.
[Image: STAHP.jpg]
Ras proved you wrong already!
(2015-02-17 00:02)Raz! Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-02-16 23:59)Bez Wrote: [ -> ]Half seven here in the UK.
Posted: Yesterday, 23:59

I think you're a little confused. We're discussing about how around the world there is a different way to say: 7:30

Please at least read through some of the posts before posting random shite.
That's why you include the "past" in the sentence Howling.
This is. Thee most. Outrageous and horrific thread I've ever seen. 7:30 = half seven. You are half way through 7oclock thus. HALF SEVEN. Nuff said.
That makes less sense than our way. Probably why it's called "Half past" Tongue

Lets grab some synonyms to "half"

partially, partly, incompletely, inadequately, insufficiently, slightly, barely, in part, part, to a limited extent/degree, in some measure; not totally, not wholly, not entirely, not fully

Basically, you're saying that being 30 mins past 7 is the same as "barely 7" or any of those words? Wouldn't it actually be "barely 8" or half eight?
I think over time we just got lazy and left out the past, because everyone in the UK understands that its means past not to.
Technically me and Howlin would pronounce it "arf seven" if that makes you look at it any differently Tongue

We're that lazy we even loose a "h" as well as the "past. The context however is still the ssame.
I think we can conclude from that, that both ways are correct to people Smile

I'm curious now, is this all over the UK or just some dialects?
"arf seven" is a Yorkshire dialect like "Oreyt lad" (alright mate), "get thee a cuppa" (get me a cup of tea please)

It's a regional thing. But there's other dialects in the Uk with similar accents
(2015-02-17 00:22)Ras Wrote: [ -> ]I think we can conclude from that, that both ways are correct to people Smile

I'm curious now, is this all over the UK or just some dialects?

Luke is going on about dialects, but yes, those from the UK refer to it in the same way (half seven).
Woah, I'm going to start confusing the shit out of people by calling it half 8, it makes sense.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's