[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: A self driving truck!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Self-driving semi hits the road
http://money.cnn.com/2015/05/06/autos/se...index.html

Was scrolling through CNN on iPhone and I saw this, thought i'd share it with you since I've seen a lot of truck lovers here. So, A self driving truck? What do you think? Thumbs up or down?
If everything is automated, there wont be any humans needed.

If no humans needed = no jobs
Robots will slowly take over the world. ahhhhh!
They took you over already

:3
Well I knew already that they were developing this a while ago. But for the next few years trucks wont drive autonomously. There are working theories where there's a 'lead' truck driven by a human, followed by a couple of autonomous trucks.

Imagine an unforseen scenario when a truck drives in a street (i.e. child running after a ball), wait, no, don't imagine it, it'll be nightmares guaranteed.
I'm pretty sure a computers reactions times compared to a humans will be a lot faster. They have laser scanning stuff on the Google car for situations just like that. Tongue
I personally wish instead of concentrating on trucks we would do more with rail. Trucks are so inefficient. We could use more small regional hubs rather than trucks everywhere. It's nothing against the drivers it's just matter of efficiency.
Reference URL's