[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Display issue?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The last couple of days, i've had an issue with my PC that suddenly popped up out of the blue.

Basically after it's been running for an hour or more, the screen will randomly go black and the "no signal" appears for a few seconds, and then it goes back to normal again, with a message popping up from the taskbar:
"The display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered"

Although today it actually made the PC restart after it did it. In the event log the message above appears twice in a row rather than once. Also at the same time of this, it gives this in the log:
"Unable to recover from a kernel exception. The application must close."

Usually it happens if i'm having a program open (like LFS), watching a video in the browser or even browsing facebook.

So far there has been a big gap every time between it happening. Sometimes hours between.

What i have tried so far:

Reinstalled graphics drivers twice. First time i updated on top of the existing one and the second time i completely uninstalled the drivers and used Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode to make sure it was completely removed, before installing the latest driver. Didn't solve it.

Updated the PC (Windows Update). Didn't solve it.

Unplugged and replugged my monitor cables into the monitor and the PC. Didn't solve it.

Disabled NVIDIA Audio related things in Device Manager (dont ask, it was a suggestion on Google) Didn't solve it.

Cleaned dust out of my PC, and especially the GPU by completely taking it out and blowing the dust out of it. Unsure if it helped, still waiting to see if it does it again.

My specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core i5 2320 3.00 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX760 2GB
6 GB RAM
Corsair CX600M PSU

Any advice is appreciated. It is slightly annoying to deal with, considering it started out of the blue.
You could try with some older driver versions, the problem is software related.
There is usually a Windows event logged. Can you post that?
[Image: issue.png]

Warnings says: "The display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered"

Error says: "Unable to recover from a kernel exception. The application must close."

This is from the latest incident. Anything else you needed?
There is usually a detail-page on any of these events. There should be more information.
This is what the details tab says

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Display

- EventID 4101

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 3

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2015-07-06T10:49:01.000000000Z

EventRecordID 6049

Channel System

Computer Rasmus-Pc

Security

- EventData

nvlddmkm

And...

+ System

- Provider

[ Name] NVIDIA OpenGL Driver

- EventID 1

[ Qualifiers] 49152

Level 2

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2015-07-06T10:49:00.000000000Z

EventRecordID 2038

Channel Application

Computer Rasmus-Pc

Security

- EventData

Unable to recover from a kernel exception. The application must close. Error code: 3 Visit http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html for more information.
I've found that the latest nvidia driver has been crashing quite often, but it has always recovered. Really annoying when i'm in a game because the game either crashes or looks like its hanging.
(2015-07-06 18:49)Stephen Wrote: [ -> ]I've found that the latest nvidia driver has been crashing quite often, but it has always recovered. Really annoying when i'm in a game because the game either crashes or looks like its hanging.
Have you tried a older driver?
I had 334 (I think) drivers before, the only reason I updated my drivers was because I couldn't stand the black lines on all the characters in gta online.
There got to be some more details. Usually naming the faulting application. Also check the other events at the same timestamp.
I had this issue with a failing GPU. Gtx 460 I believe? You will usually get artifacts though if the gpu is failing. Has the card over heated at all?

You can try to msconfig and disable most start up services/apps(besides the ones required) and see if something is not agreeing with your drivers/gpu.

Also, Nvidia hasnt done the greatest job with new drivers. I just installed a gtx 960 sc and my driver crashes rarely for no reason. Its not often enough to annoy me though.
(2015-07-07 05:46)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]There got to be some more details. Usually naming the faulting application. Also check the other events at the same timestamp.
That's all there was. I had a look several times. Anyway it does say/hint the faulty application is a display driver.

On another note, it hasnt done it since i cleaned out the PC, so maybe it was simply a case of dust on some components that screwed it up.
Reference URL's