[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Ferry vs Bridge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Ouch.
Not so nice if someone was driving on that bridge part
Basic navigational fail. I swear they hire chimps as captains these days.

Oh, and it looks like a car carrier, not a ferry.
Yeah lol i was going to write that, think they said ferry in that or another video and that word got in there instead Tongue
it transported parts for an Atlas rocket (the video says)
(2012-01-30 18:24)McGherkin Wrote: [ -> ]Basic navigational fail. I swear they hire chimps as captains these days.

Oh, and it looks like a car carrier, not a ferry.

And what's the difference?
Car carriers carry your brand new car from the factory to your dealership to be delivered/collected. A ferry carries livestockpassengers with the cars Wink
Lol bridge lost. -.-
I don't get how you can accidentally drive a boat into a bridge? It's not as if the bridge is very difficult to see surely? Tongue
It's because the captain/navigational officer has forgotten to subtract the height of the tide from the clearance height of the bridge. At low tide, it's probably perfectly easy to go under there, but when the tide's in, the ship's higher relative to the bridge, and crunch.

Here's a pic.
[Image: Definitions.jpg]

On all maps, the height of the water is the Chart Datum - the lowest the tide can normally get. The height of, say, the bridge from the water is calculated from the chart datum.

If the bridge is 27m above Chart Datum, and the Ship is 25m above the surface, with 1m of tide, it'll go underneath. If there's 5m of tide and the navigational officer hasn't added it onto the chart datum, then the ship'll hit.

That's how most of these accidents happen anyway. Other times they just forget how tall the ship is, or sail through the wrong bit (on, say, a lifting bridge).
Slammed the breaks, and 5 feet to spare. Close call... Ohmy
Reference URL's