[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: XP Activation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right, bear with me on this one but help would be appricaited.

We have a XP SP3 PC running in the back office at work to run the CCTV but has NO internet access. 3 days ago it came up with an error messege saying it needs to be activated.

I have put in the activation code on the side of the tower but that gave no joy. I then clicked activate via telephone and gave me a unique code.

The phone number on there was now out of order, took me ages to find the up-to-date one.

I went through the auto-mated options and put in the code, but gave no joy either.

I then tried a different random code off the internet (3rd one i tried worked) called the number with the new unique code and still would not work.

I have tried safe mode to run the CCTV software but it will not start in the low resolution and it will not allow me to change the display resolution in safe mode.

Yeah the manager knows about it and should deal with it but just asked me to look at it and it's baffling me -.-

Anyone have any ideas to help?
(2012-02-01 22:13)Stevo Wrote: [ -> ]I went through the auto-mated options and put in the code, but gave no joy either.

Mind to elaborate?

(2012-02-01 22:13)Stevo Wrote: [ -> ]I then tried a different random code off the internet (3rd one i tried worked) called the number with the new unique code and still would not work.

You re-installed your entire Windows with a pirated XP key, and tried to activate that? huh?
When I put a correct pin in (the one that is meant to be on the side of the tower on the sticker) the next option is to validate through internet (which I can't as it doesn't have any) or telephone. When I select the phone option in generates a new 'ID' to use in microsoft activation service.

Re-installed? I just wanted to try a different code, tbh I knew one of those wouldn't work if have to do it through a phone system, but just out of chance as the code on the machine did not work.

Edit: I think my safest option is to just leave it for him to deal with.
Well, you still did not tell what actually happened on that activation call.
Oh sorry, no joy i meant it said that it is not valid.
With XP, the activation code must be for the same licence key that was entered when the PC was installed. AFAIK, you can't just change the licence key afterwards.

Never try to activate a key you 'found on the internet' - it'll probably have been blacklisted already.

Safemode won't prevent the activation stuff from happening. Safemode is there purely to fix problems - the system (and many programs) won't run normally while in safemode.

Also, windows shouldn't randomly say it needs activating if it's not connected to the internet. It might trigger if you change a major piece of hardware, but shouldn't at any other time. Seems suspicious if it just comes up with an activation message out of the blue.

Safest, most reliable solution: reformat & reinstall windows using the key on the sticker (remembering backups etc etc, make sure you have the correct install disc for the type of key before you start). Or leave it to the manager to sort out.
(2012-02-02 14:23)Elmo Wrote: [ -> ]Safest, most reliable solution: reformat & reinstall windows using the key on the sticker (remembering backups etc etc, make sure you have the correct install disc for the type of key before you start). Or leave it to the manager to sort out.

Unless some hardware had failed and triggered it I'm not sure =/.
I will just see if we have the software CD for both XP and the CCTV software to re-install it. That's the only program/file that is on there.

Thanks for the help anyway, appriciate it.
Reference URL's