[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Spark explaining how VTEC works.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, here we have a great example of how V-TEC works, provided to you by [CSR] Spark.

Click.
Like it.
Spark, you are wrong, VTEC is all about unicorns farting at the same time.
Professor Spark.

If I understand your explanation, a VTEC as a build-in ECO mode? Biggrin
VTEC is a myth that Honda's pretend to have.
Connor has a Honda, ask him, it sounds exactly like that.

Biggrin
(2015-09-13 17:50)Yukine Wrote: [ -> ]Professor Spark.

Yes they once developed it to get similar power on higher RPM whilst keeping a low fuel useage, my guess is that the rest started from there.

AJ is our Honda expert though, maybe he'll chip in soon.
Nono, this guy nails it.

https://youtu.be/9coH3WGSkAU?t=63

If I remember correctly, VTEC is basically variable valve timing using locking pins controlled by oil pressure. When the pressure gets high enough, that is during high revs, the pins allow the valves to stay open for longer, which in turn allows more air/fuel mixture to enter the cylinder. This is why Spark is screaming over 6k rpm.
I heard a dump valve in between the gear changes.. That ain't VTEC, that's turbocharged! Pff.. (maybe a turbocharged VTEC? Biggrin)
(2015-09-13 20:41)Leon Wrote: [ -> ]Nono, this guy nails it.

https://youtu.be/9coH3WGSkAU?t=63

hilarious! Biggrin
(2015-09-13 20:02)Johan. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-09-13 17:50)Yukine Wrote: [ -> ]Professor Spark.

Yes they once developed it to get similar power on higher RPM whilst keeping a low fuel useage, my guess is that the rest started from there.

AJ is our Honda expert though, maybe he'll chip in soon.

They have just generally improved the performance of their engines by keeping the optimum valve lift through the rev range. This improves both fuel economy and performance. Neither part is really a "by-product" W00t The system is just great like that.

You guys probably know that you can replace or grind your camshafts to ones with a more aggressive profile and lift in pretty much any remotely modern engine. This affects a lot of things but basically what you get is more fuel in your cylinders, which is bad for fuel economy but good for high revs and maximum power output.

So what Honda did is basically they just put more lobes on their cams and just change which ones they use with a pin mechanism. So now they have the regular cam and the aggressive performance cam in one.
(2015-09-13 20:44)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]I heard a dump valve in between the gear changes.. That ain't VTEC, that's turbocharged! Pff.. (maybe a turbocharged VTEC? Biggrin)

Tbh I don't even know what it was haha, just banter.
Turbo vtec is a great plan 1.6 b16a2 runs a t3/t4 turbo at 4psi and makes 280 bhp

Will do it all day aswell
Reference URL's