[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Optimal mouse settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mouse configuration guide

Hello TC'ers, this guide shows you how to setup your mouse for precise input in LFS.
    Why you should use this
  • This method is best used for controlling LFS in case you do not have a wheel, or if you're looking for a reliable way to accurately control the throttle or the brake pedals, this makes it comfortable to cruise (maintaining a specific speed) and allows you to push the car to the limit when cornering.

Settings
    1. Hit SHIFT+O to open up the settings menu in LFS
    2. Go to the controls tab
    3. under 'mouse / keyboard', select 'wheel / joystick'.
    4. Set the throttle / brake axes to combined
    5. Go to the 'Axes / FF' tab
    6. Bind 'Steer' to 'Mouse X'
    7. Bind 'Thr / Brk Combined' with Mouse Y
    8. Ensure that the Wheel turn, Wheel turn compensation, Force strength, and Thr / brk center reduction sliders are moved all the way to the left
    9. Optional: You could also bind your Clutch key to C, left view: Q, right view: W, handbrake: Spacebar, horn: B, shift up: Mouse left click, shift down: Mouse right click.

Show pedals + virtual steer gauge
  • This is important, you will need to be able to visualize your Throttle / Brake input and your steering position(when switching views), because you're using a mouse!

1. In settings, display, set Virtual steering gauge to yes
    2. Set show pedals to yes

Mouse acceleration (the windows enhance precision option)
  • When driving with a mouse, you want your input to be linear, what mouse acceleration does, is that when you move your mouse quicker a certain distance, that results in your cursor traveling more than if you were to move your mouse slowly, here's how to disable it.
    1. In the Windows taskbar, search for mouse settings
    2. Hit the Additional mouse options command
    3. In the pointer options tab, uncheck Enhance pointer precision.
    4. Enjoy!

Demo

Hello,

Is it also possible to use one mouse to control everything on the screen, and another mouse to steer, gas and brake?

Regards, [CSR] Wouter
(2015-12-01 10:56)CruiseLover Wrote: [ -> ]Is it also possible to use one mouse to control everything on the screen, and another mouse to steer, gas and brake?

Tried this software: https://pluralinput.com/

On windows 10, and apparantly it doesn't work inside LFS. (only one mouse is shown)

Try testing on another OS. it might work
(2015-11-08 14:33)Mr.AD Wrote: [ -> ]Steer quickly (unlike with a wheel, takes you time to move the wheel from the right to the left) which help a lot when copping or when drifting

Sorry..uhm..what? How can it help? How can non-realistic steering help? The only thing you will cause is unnecessary understeer by steering way too quickly. Clearly you do not have enough experience to prove your statement, there is simply no common sense involved in that particular situation.

And how on the earth does it help drifting?! Have you ever seen how experienced drifters get it done in LFS? No, you have not. There is no way quick steering will help you, it will create more issues like understeer as well as high temps and possible flatspots. Stop trying to brainwash us with information that is based purely on nothing but biased opinion.
-----------------------
There are some disadvantages that you did not mention. For example, in this scenario there is no way you will ever be capable of braking as well as accelerating at the same time.
Good guide Mr. Ad Thumbup1 and I suggest you ignore the post above mine. Smile
If anyone remembers [TC] Rifo, he used this configuration to drive and he was damn fast.
(2015-11-08 14:33)Mr.AD Wrote: [ -> ]To Brake by pulling down and to accelerate by moving the mouse up.

When I drove with mouse, not once did I think of moving it and up and down to accel and brake, would that not be really unpredictable?

I used mouse by having accel and brake on the mouse clicks, that was much easier. As for the steering, some people may find it easier for copping like myself, but that is only because you can probably u-turn faster, but as Mouseman quite rightly said, turning quickly doesn't help much in terms of driving faster and having the best control.
(2015-12-01 14:48)MousemanLV Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-08 14:33)Mr.AD Wrote: [ -> ]Steer quickly (unlike with a wheel, takes you time to move the wheel from the right to the left) which help a lot when copping or when drifting

Sorry..uhm..what? How can it help? How can non-realistic steering help? The only thing you will cause is unnecessary understeer by steering way too quickly. Clearly you do not have enough experience to prove your statement, there is simply no common sense involved in that particular situation.

And how on the earth does it help drifting?! Have you ever seen how experienced drifters get it done in LFS? No, you have not. There is no way quick steering will help you, it will create more issues like understeer as well as high temps and possible flatspots. Stop trying to brainwash us with information that is based purely on nothing but biased opinion.
-----------------------
There are some disadvantages that you did not mention. For example, in this scenario there is no way you will ever be capable of braking as well as accelerating at the same time.

You can disagree with someone's opinion but there's no need to be outright obnoxious, Mouseman.
Earlier I was try this, but I left it didn't work properly.
Can I somehow hide the mouse cursor? It is annoying for me, or can I get used to?
(2015-12-01 17:23)Botos Wrote: [ -> ]Earlier I was try this, but I left it didn't work properly.
Can I somehow hide the mouse cursor? It is annoying for me, or can I get used to?

Try: !setopt force_mouse 1

That will hide the inSim buttons, so mouse shouldn't be shown, If the problem still persists, press shift + z. Smile

To restore the buttons, all you have to do is typing either: !setopt force_mouse 0
or: !resetopts

(2015-12-01 16:25)Nismo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-08 14:33)Mr.AD Wrote: [ -> ]To Brake by pulling down and to accelerate by moving the mouse up.

When I drove with mouse, not once did I think of moving it and up and down to accel and brake, would that not be really unpredictable?

I used mouse by having accel and brake on the mouse clicks, that was much easier. As for the steering, some people may find it easier for copping like myself, but that is only because you can probably u-turn faster, but as Mouseman quite rightly said, turning quickly doesn't help much in terms of driving faster and having the best control.

I simply don't like to use buttons, here is why:
  • Full throttle / brakes to be applied immediately
  • You won't be able to keep your speed at a stable state, which is really bad to use buttons when cruising and trying to match the speed to the speed limit.

I advice you to try removing mouse acceleration (The enhancer from mouse options) you're a CS:GO Player and you should know this. Muscle memory, practice makes perfect, You'll get to become more consistent if you use my config over the time Smile

I drove quite a lot with this configuration and I find it the best to whoever doesn't have a wheel / can't afford one.

Afterall, it's all about personal preference, some peoples may get a long with this config, some peoples may not, but I just shared how I drive, or to the peoples who probably didn't know how to configure LFS correctly to get this result, As I honestly, see a lot of peoples crashing / spinning out of the track and/or having troubles steering quickly from side to side with a keyboard.
Thank you, it is work! Smile
  • Thread revamped
  • Added demos
good totorial Thumbup1
Optimal mouse settings: Tutorial

I'd never thought of turning off the mouse acceleration, that's good advice, I might actually try that next time I'm forced to use mouse.
For smooth steering turning off acceleration is a must i dont think anyone who is fast with mouse uses it. It has ok low angle steering but when u need to steer much more or full lock it speeds up more than turbo lag of a 205 t16.
(2019-03-12 15:15)Pete Wrote: [ -> ]Optimal mouse settings: Tutorial

That's more like Optimal Wheel settings! W00t
I personally much prefer having mouse acceleration on, it feels much more natural. I get the argument for having it off, it certainly will help with muscle memory. But you can still develop some level of muscle memory with it on, it's just slightly harder to be as precise, which I'd argue does not really matter for a game like LFS. The main disadvantage for mouse acceleration in most cases is in a situation where you need to flick to a specific point quickly, but in LFS the few times this would come up a slightly higher level of precision would not make much of a difference. In LFS most of the time you want to be as smooth as possible and both options do that just fine.

I also get the idea behind using mouse for gas and brake as well as steer but it's just not practical or worth learning IMO. It's just too much to dedicate solely to the movements of your wrist. On top of that there is the disadvantage of not being able to accelerate and brake at the same time brought up earlier.

If anyone reads this thread hoping to try to learn mouse or get better at it, don't take it a gospel. I'm not saying this is not a valid way of playing on mouse but everything comes down to personal preference and what works for one person may not work for another(for example many find steer center reduction helpful but it was mentioned nowhere in this post). Use a method that feels most comfortable to you.

(P.S my settings are DPI 800-1200 depending on the mouse, steer center reduction 0.78, button control rate 10, enhanced precision on, gas and brake to LMB and RMB)
Reference URL's