[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Offline Messaging
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering when I saw the '<username> recieved <amount> from <sender> (offline)' message, whether messages could be sent in this way.

I was thinking maybe it could use the current server PM system, but when the user is offline, the message is stored until that person logs on, at which point it is displayed to them.

It'd be handy for things like payments, where you can pay someone, then send them a short message saying what the payment is for. Or if a team leader wants to get a team member to check the team forum when they come online, they can just drop a quick note to the member.

It wouldn't be for long messages, but it'd be fine for quick notes.

Thinking something along the lines of:
[MSG][Piggy501]:Sent you €10000 for that LX4 ; )

(although the yellow would stand out in chat, obviously)

What do you guys think?
I like the idea!
Like the idea, just wondering if it would put strain on the servers having to store the messages.
It's a nice idea, but it has a downside as well like being abused for spamming someone and overload the system when storing too many messages.
(2012-02-15 21:51)NVK Wrote: [ -> ]but it has a downside as well like being abused for spamming someone

That would be treated in the normal way, report it and we will take care of it.
(2012-02-15 21:51)NVK Wrote: [ -> ]It's a nice idea, but it has a downside as well like being abused for spamming someone and overload the system when storing too many messages.

Same thing with the money sending Wink

People should stop making abuse a downside on this kind of suggestions; obviously admins will take care of that.
I personally like the idea, I don't think it would cause strain since a small string of text is next to nothing in size.. Perhaps putting a size limit on the offline PM's would counteract this. And along as the message's get deleted as soon as the other end receives it I can't see that many messages building up since it's a feature that would only be used from time to time..

However, on the flipside my fear is that people will start using offline messaging with me like a reliable communication tool, when I am more often on the forums than the servers.
The size would be limited by the length of what you can put into chat - something like 140 characters.
http://forum.city-driving.co.uk/private.php

There are already 3 different ways you can contact someone privately when they are in game, without tabbing out of LFS.

If someone is out of a game, I can name 15 much more reliable methods (and probably then some) of getting in contact with them which doesn't involve offline messaging them in LFS.

I can understand why it could be considered a good idea, but in my opinion it's just unnecessary and if it gets put in, then fine, but I don't really see any need
I agree there's no need for it, but it could be handy from time to time I think.
There could be a maximum stored messages from one player to another.
And it could cost say 50 euros.
(2012-02-18 13:47)Nitros Wrote: [ -> ]And it could cost say 50 euros.

We say 100 € Biggrin
Reference URL's