[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: POLL: Should I make a real car dashboard work with LFS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Admin & Moderators: If I have posted in the wrong section, please move it as I wasn't sure where to post it Sad

Hello all,

I would like to ask a question now - should I make a real car dashboard work with LFS?

E.G. Something like this:

Also, I'm not expecting you to know this but is there any good software I can use to control a dashboard before I go buying one?

Cheers Smile
Don't think that it's needed.

Use virtual dashboard on LFS instead if you want a clear view.
(also the dashboards in the video are broken)
The way I have seen this done is through an arduino for games like omsi and ets2. Good luck with the project.

One thing though, if you buy a real life car dashboard, the dials won't change to the Max speed on the car, neither will the tachometer. Also buying a real car dashboard, you will have to program it to the interface the dashboard uses (I.e Volkswagen and Audi etc. all use VAG-COM which is linked up using Java). It is all very complicated and it is simpler to use, as Mr.AD said, a virtual dashboard on a mobile device.
just another trash on the desk Biggrin Don´t Biggrin
For what do you want it , if you already have one ingame?

ITs like the lights of the G27 wheel , its curious , but you dont look at them , cause you have to see the screen.

So , dont buy anything and try a mobile one..
To be honest, the points said above are actually quite true so I'll have a think about it and then it may enable me to make a final thought. Cheers all for the points.
(2016-01-24 22:27)Jack Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest, the points said above are actually quite true so I'll have a think about it and then it may enable me to make a final thought. Cheers all for the points.

If you are a handy man, go for it. It is always pleasure if you make something for yourself which makes you happy. Wink
I don't know why people are hating on the idea. It's way more fun with real dash.

I tried to get a set of Clio RS dials working, using a SymProjects Pro Gauge (IIRC). I managed to get the dials powered up but couldn't get the needles moving. I suspect they use CAN data rather than a pulsed input.

Do it Smile
If you dont already have any knowledge in programming custom stuff and using Arduino's and such, I highly doubt you'll ever get it working.
Easy: YES!
Just for curiosity , why you asked what to do , if the 77.78& of guys sayed no?

Good luck with the project..
(2016-01-25 12:01)Cola Wrote: [ -> ]If you dont already have any knowledge in programming custom stuff and using Arduino's and such, I highly doubt you'll ever get it working.

Why?

There's custom hardware and software out there which is built to do this stuff. I had an issue in that the gauges I was using use CAN rather than direct input, but if you found the right dials it's as easy as connecting a few wires up.

http://www.symprojects.com/shop/pro-gauge/
Try this application on your phone / tablet:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...oard&hl=en

and as Iacob said:
(2016-01-24 22:18)Iacob Wrote: [ -> ]just another trash on the desk Biggrin Don´t Biggrin

Not worth the time into coding something / buying dashboards
I don't get why everyone is discouraging you.
It's creative, and it'd be a great project, and fun to see the result. You're interested in it, go do it!
Whether you'll be using it is something you'll have to see later. Worst case, you'll have had a great project and some experience to go with it.
good project;

I'd think you would need to research what inputs are available for the dash board and what your pc can output before deciding on a route

I'd be going for all games rather than one specific one.

one would be a good basis though
(2016-01-25 22:55)KaraK Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get why everyone is discouraging you.
It's creative, and it'd be a great project, and fun to see the result. You're interested in it, go do it!
Whether you'll be using it is something you'll have to see later. Worst case, you'll have had a great project and some experience to go with it.

Well, I voted no because of the fact that he asked such a question. You should do what you want to do.
(2016-01-26 10:14)Warped Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-25 22:55)KaraK Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get why everyone is discouraging you.

Well, I voted no because of the fact that he asked such a question. You should do what you want to do.

Then why vote at all?
Following on from McGherkin, try and find a direct input gauge.

Exactly this. If you have interest, time and knowledge to even start off the project, then why not?? Best case is, when you finish it, you'll have something awesome, unique to improve your gameplay on LFS in the future, and you can be happy and proud of what you've done. And maybe do more of them, better each time, or improve the old one as you gain ideas and experience.

No reason to vote NO for this, honestly.
It's probably easiest to tear the original gauge hardware out and only keep the needles. Attach them to stepper motors that you turn with your microcontroller.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's