[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Adjust the auto-fine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
At present there is no incentive to wait for cops to issue a fine and anybody with a brain cell and a disregard for the rules knows full well they can disconnect as soon as they're busted, be automatically fined the medium amount and get away with it because rule 3.3 is very loosely enforced. Not only that, but there is no real incentive for the cops involved to report the individual involved because they know no refund will be given.

Quite frankly, the best solution at present is to unplug your ethernet cable just before the 5 second countdown begins because more often than not you'll either be fined the higher or medium amount (if you don't disconnect and the cop has a chance to fine you); it is very rare that you'll be fined the lower amount (by a cop). You can then reconnect and say 'o sorry lost connection', and you're a few hundred euros better off because nobody had the chance to make a decision on your fine.

I think the incentives should be rebalanced such that you're better off not disconnecting or 'losing connection'. For those that genuinely do lose connection, they have an incentive to attempt to maximise the stability of the said connection and in doing so, improve the game play for themselves and others.

Summary: The auto-fine should be set to the higher amount and in doing so the incentives will be rebalanced.

EDIT:

Also check out BP's suggestion below;
(2016-01-28 13:16)BP Wrote: [ -> ]Just let the cop choose how much the suspect should be fined if they disconnect/lose connection/timeout during chase.
Nope, punishing peoples for timing out isn't a good idea.
€: They're already punished by losing their trips...
(2016-01-28 12:40)Mr.AD Wrote: [ -> ]Nope, punishing peoples for timing out isn't a good idea.
€: They're already punished by losing their trips...

It wouldn't be punishment, it'd be encouraging them to sort their connection out. Let's also flip around what you've said; so you believe it's fair for cops to be punished because their suspect's timed out and now they're shortchanged?

You're making quite a brazen assumption by claiming them losing their trip is a problem. Who's to say they've even gained a big enough trip bonus for it to be worth them not disconnecting? E.g. say they've only built up a €50 bonus (after all, they probably would have been speeding in the chase so it won't have grown by that much) but they could save a potential €200 by disconnecting early, then they will disconnect early. What if they just drive into a Safe Zone and disconnect? That's what I'd do if I was that desperate and didn't care about the rules.
(2016-01-28 12:46)Tingle Wrote: [ -> ]It wouldn't be punishment, it'd be encouraging them to sort their connection out.

Some peoples can't.
(2016-01-28 12:48)Mr.AD Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-28 12:46)Tingle Wrote: [ -> ]It wouldn't be punishment, it'd be encouraging them to sort their connection out.

Some peoples can't.

Then is it appropriate to be playing an online game?
Its a difficult subject due to the sheer amount of variables,

It doesn't happen that regularly, if the person does disconnect rather than loose connection i will act on that rather than leaving it be.
Just let the cop choose how much the suspect should be fined if they disconnect/lose connection/timeout during chase.
(2016-01-28 13:16)BP Wrote: [ -> ]Just let the cop choose how much the suspect should be fined if they disconnect/lose connection/timeout during chase.

That is actually a much better idea than the original. +1 from me.

I suspect 99% would pick high because they could get away with it.

May as well have a set fine for it of 1k, but then as Tingle mentioned people do have terrible connections they can do nothing about
(2016-01-28 13:18)Nathan Wrote: [ -> ]

May as well have a set fine for it of 1k, but then as Tingle mentioned people do have terrible connections they can do nothing about

At least if they're high fined as per the cop's choice, they can complain if they feel it was unjust and there's a chance of a partial refund if it was found there weren't any grounds for the higher fine. Whereas cops can't get a partial refund if they were going to issue a higher fine but couldn't because the suspect disconnected.

I think a 1k constant fine would be a bit excessive. But like I said earlier, why play an online game if your connection is terribly unreliable?
(2016-01-28 13:18)Nathan Wrote: [ -> ]

They already have a choice if the suspect shift+p's during a chase or gets busted normally. I don't see how people would treat people who time out any differently, and people who disconnect probably deserve a high fine anyway.

What if the person was going to be fined high but times out? Why should he be let off due to his poor connection?
Increase the minimum after 45 seconds to 500e.
Reference URL's