[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Emergency Brake Lights (EBL)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

Would Emergency Brake Lights (EBL) be possible to integrate into the insim? As of right now I have a script in Logitech profiler to do this, but it would be nice to see it integrated in insim, especially now when we're driving at the autobahn and conducting a lot of emergency stops.

It flashes the high beams and turns on the hazards. It would be sweet to have it automatically activated when the deceleration exceed x m/s and the car is traveling above 50 km/h.
It looks too much like a strobe.
Yeah, that's kind of the point.. Tongue

You'd want to catch the attention of the drivers behind you whilst conducting an emergency stop to avoid a rear end collision and possibly a pile up situation. Once you've come to a complete stop it can either just flash the hazards or do nothing at all.
(2016-04-20 19:05)Polestar Wrote: [ -> ]You'd want to catch the attention of the drivers behind you

If you are at road , be 100% attention.
So , there is no need for catch anything , drivers should been driving attention , and dont think that some automatic flashes change the problem.

If you decrease high amount of speed in short distance , like irl , press 9.

Its a great suggestion , but its a -1 from me.
You can't really think like that when you're dealing with humans. Drivers should be paying attention and this is often the case, but we humans aren't perfect. I still "catch myself" reading the chat and paying poor attention to the road (luckily i've not been the cause of a major accident for some time now).

Since i posted this thread i was rear ended twice at pileups just before the roundabout.

"If you decrease high amount of speed in short distance, like irl, press 9."

This is what the "system" is for. Automating that process when you slam your brakes. That way you can just focus on avoiding the obstacle in front.

This system is not something i've made up, it's basically standard across newer cars today, so there's got to be a point to this.

Let's not forget that this is just a game where you can't die (or get whiplash for that matter), but it would get rid of a big headache IMO.
no / cancal

1. In real life, it would be easy to distinguish between a proper strobe/lightbar and mere lights/hazards flashing. This is definitely not the case in LFS (see my previous comment about it looking too much like a strobe). This will potentially cause confusion. For this reason, I'd like to ask that you don't use the "EBL" feature you've designed, on our servers.
2. I don't think this is as effective as you'd hope it'd be.
3. People brake heavily all the time. The lights would be completely ignored eventually.

(2016-04-20 20:29)GT4tube Wrote: [ -> ]no / cancal

Please avoid spamming. Your post added nothing to the idea or to the discussion, just vote on the poll and be done.
How have you done that in Logitech profiler?

The videos shows another cool feature as well Smile

Watch @0:28. Very good suggestion, Maybe Elmo could add this feature when braking @TCLights?
(2016-04-20 20:35)BP Wrote: [ -> ]1. (...) This will potentially cause confusion. For this reason, I'd like to ask that you don't use the "EBL" feature you've designed, on our servers.

I doubt it would.

Quote:2. I don't think this is as effective as you'd hope it'd be.

Definitely agree. It's a nice feature, but I don't think it would be effective - simply because lights on LFS (at least by me) are easily overlooked, especially on bigger distances. And if you are close enough to see the lights, braking lights often are obvious enough.
(2016-04-20 21:07)KaraK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-20 20:35)BP Wrote: [ -> ]1. In real life, it would be easy to distinguish between a proper strobe/lightbar and mere lights/hazards flashing. This is definitely not the case in LFS (see my previous comment about it looking too much like a strobe). This will potentially cause confusion. For this reason, I'd like to ask that you don't use the "EBL" feature you've designed, on our servers.

I doubt it would.

How can you doubt that lol? I'm pretty sure 99% of the people in the world know the difference between emergency lights and hazard + normal lights flashing...
Especially the fz lights are just way too small to see anything from a distance. So either its going to be ignored, causes confusion or will not even be recognized. People dont even slow for cautions and sirens. Also some people use hazard(9) as an addition to the "normal" strobe in chases, so it looks rather similar. And if a cop in chase with strobes activates it, he has to activate strobes again to continue chasing?
Im aswell not sure how people with a high(100ms and above) ping see it, as yours seems to have very short flashing frequencies. If you take higher it would yet again look too much like strobe.

Apart from all that i doubt that it would be possible at all for the insim to trigger lights and hazard on our local computers. so it would have to be implemented in TC Lights(or similar application), wich not everybody uses.

Way too many variables, questions, doubts, work etc. for it, to be only potentially usefull. no /cancel
(2016-04-21 05:05)Warped Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-20 21:07)KaraK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-20 20:35)BP Wrote: [ -> ]1. In real life, it would be easy to distinguish between a proper strobe/lightbar and mere lights/hazards flashing. This is definitely not the case in LFS (see my previous comment about it looking too much like a strobe). This will potentially cause confusion. For this reason, I'd like to ask that you don't use the "EBL" feature you've designed, on our servers.

I doubt it would.

How can you doubt that lol? I'm pretty sure 99% of the people in the world know the difference between emergency lights and hazard + normal lights flashing...

My reply was aimed at the last bit of his point, not the first. I'll edit it out.
Ah, right.
Reference URL's