[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: What laptop do you recommend to me?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello guys!

Recently have been my birthday , and i have earn some money , and now , want to speend it on my future.

Im thinking on buying a laptop or tablet, but im not sure and want to hear you opinions...

Well , For what do i want it for?:
Okey , Im going to study things related to informatic , like programing html,javascript, c#, design some videogames with unity.

For design some video games , dont need to be the best hardware , but something decent.

I will also for play some games some day , or play music or for the normal things of the day (check mail , news ,... )

What do I have in mind?:
I want a laptot wich one have a great keyboard , this is a bit important to me cause im going to be some hours using it and want to have great keys.

Whats the best size of screen?:
Im not sure , but dont want something little , also , i dont care to much about resolution.

What do you guys recommend to me?
I apreciate your coments and your ideas, my price is arround 500€ max ,but can hear some opinions like 501€ Tongue
Firstly I would not use that Surface Pro Tablet crap, that's just a waste of money for what you get, a proper laptop is what you have to use if you want to do things IT related... Never seen a programmer using a tablet to code honestly, so that is a no...

Did a fast look on mediamarkt (Spain) and I saw this offer which is quite good:

http://tiendas.mediamarkt.es/p/portatil-...tb-1315530

An ASUS with an i7 6500 U / 8 GB RAM / 1 TB HDD

That's more than decent I would say, and it costs €595. Perhaps is this a good chance for you to save a little bit more to reach the amount.
Could try this Lenovo B51-80 with an i5, 4gb of RAM and 1 TB HDD.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-B51-80-1...B0196YC25Q
€429
Here are some pointers for you. I won't recommend any specific laptop because in the end it all comes to personal taste.

Brands I would avoid "cheapo" brands like Acer. They are less expensive than everyone but they won't last as long. Me and Cola would highly recommend you to buy a Thinkpad. Anything from the other brands are fine.

LCD Size The "Go-to" size is 15". It's perfect for everyday use and still maintains portability. 11-13" are smaller if you intend on moving quite a lot. If you plan on typing a lot of things (I.e. Coding, programming, etc..) you might want to get a 17" instead. The keyboard will be a complete one with a numpad usually.

Keyboard Most laptops will come with a "short" keyboard. If you want a numpad, you'll need an external one. I know that some 15" will come with a numpad. Avoid that at all costs because the keys will be extremely cramped. Take a 17" instead if you want a full keyboard. At a personal level, I really hated Sony laptop keyboards. The other ones were fine.

Graphics Card I know you said that you will not be "gaming that much". Even though you said that, I can't recommend enough that you NEED to have a graphics card inside that laptop. Intel IGP is not enough. Nowadays, you can get affordable laptop with Integrated ATI and Nvidia chips inside. It makes a world of difference.

Other pointers HDD'S in laptop suck. They usually run at 5400Rpm and are slow. If you can, I would invest in buying an SSD. I would even go the "take a smaller SSD if needed and get an external HDD for the rest" route. This will make the most difference in your machine. Talk to me and other players who still have their old 2008ish era computer. I equipped it with an SSD and it purrs like a kitten now.

Happy shopping!
(2016-05-06 16:00)Sebas Wrote: [ -> ]Other pointers HDD'S in laptop suck. They usually run at 5400Rpm and are slow. If you can, I would invest in buying an SSD. I would even go the "take a smaller SSD if needed and get an external HDD for the rest" route. This will make the most difference in your machine. Talk to me and other players who still have their old 2008ish era computer. I equipped it with an SSD and it purrs like a kitten now.

Happy shopping!

To add to that, the ThinkPads have an ultra-bay port where the DVD Drive is, this basically means you can swap the DVD drive for a HDD or SSD if you get the attachment. Also on the bottom of the older ThinkPads, there is an MSATA Port to put MSATA SSDs.
@Frozen
You have the reason about tablet thing , so , I removed it from the OP Smile

This laptop seems to be great one , great cpu , enough ram , lot of space.
I will think in wait some time for earn those extra 100€ ..

@Skoda
I can find it in Spain for 500€. Seems to be great one with i5 cpu, ram 4gb , .. I will search some opinions from this model Wink

@Sebas

Wow , thanks for your words/explanation Smile

Brands: Yes , I have heared that Thinkpad are really great one brand , but , the great things costs high.. so i will go to something more cheap , like Asus , Lenovo ,...

LCD Size: I think that I will go for 15.6 more or less , as im not sure if 17 will be more easy to transport and well , dont need to be 17" for me Smile. What im sure , its that im not going forward 11-13" , them are so little

Keyboard: Well , about numpad i dont care , cause I can write the numbers with the top keys , but , what I had tryed to explain , its that I want a keyboard with some space between keys , not everything together wich can be somethimes hard for diference some keys

Graphics Card: Mmm... I never had thinked to much about the graphic card , but will take a look on what you had coment about integrated chips

Other things: Well , im not sure cause im new in this , but , can the hdd be replaced for other one no? So , if the laptop comes with one hdd of 500gb , maybe in the future can bough 1 ssd of 128 and have an external hdd?

The same with the RAM , if it comes with 4gb , for me , now , isnt a problem , cause today not going to do nothing that requires more than 4gb , but maybe in the near future , I can buy some extra GBs and add to it , no? Some laptos supports up to 16gb ...

Thanks for your posts guys!
I this what you mean by the keyboard?

[Image: 703_1348777982_Lenovo%20t410s.jpg]
Or
[Image: backlit_keyboard_005.JPG=450&gap=1]
Hey

Yes , thats what i mean.
As you can see , in first model , there is no space between any key

I prefer the second , to have some distance between the keys Smile
I don't know what the hate is for a surface pro, 1/2/RT only ran windows apps but 3+ run full windows (ships with 8.1, can upgrade for free to 10). Yes they are pricey, but they are perfectly capable machines. I haven't run into any issues with it and it runs almost everything I want on it.

I wanted a tablet that ran windows and it was the only real choice at the time I was shopping around. The others had inferior hardware, slower cpu's and/or less ram. The type cover, while not a proper keyboard has been fine for my usage and it does take a bit of getting used to at first, but its nice to use for such a thin profile.

The tablet is good enough to run GTA V on lowest with playable framerates, but I'm guessing that it may have some speed issues rendering models etc.
(2016-05-07 08:50)Borja Wrote: [ -> ]Hey

Yes , thats what i mean.
As you can see , in first model , there is no space between any key

I prefer the second , to have some distance between the keys Smile

Then you are looking for a laptop with a chiclet (or island style) keyboard. Wink
@Stephen
I take note of your coments about the Surface Pro , but i doubt that i go for it , cause its expensive and im not 100% about it.

As Frozen said , i think its better a laptop Smile but i appreciate your words.

Yes Skoda , thats what im looking for
Here are some which I recommend. All of these are within or on your budget.

Used Lenovo T430
Lenovo IdeaPad 500 (15)
Dell Inspiron 15R SE
Lenovo B51-80
HP 350 G2
Lenovo G50
HP 250
Acer Aspire E5-573G

All great for general everyday use and programming.

DISCLAIMER: Unless you are willing to spend twice your budget, don't expect to be producing games which are of a decent graphic quality. Decent dedicated multimedia laptops can range from €1000 to €4000.
@Skoda

+Lenovo t430: I like this model , the only problem i can find its that the cpu its 3520m , not the last one , and have similar specs as i5 6200u , and have to been used for get on my budget.

+Lenovo IdeaPad 500 (15): Wow , 1080 screen , never seen this on to much models. Also , have a graphic card diferent to Intel Graphics wich Sebas recomend me to no go for it.

+Dell Inspiron 15r SE : No. Dont like it. I have neever seend the specs of it , cause i dont like the case of it. Those laptops seems to be toys to me with those corners Tongue

+Lenovo B51-80: Anything to say about it. Seems to be a great model , and can get new for less than 500€

+HP 350 G2: I only can fouind it on a i3 cpu version , and not so cheap for been a i3

+Lenovo G50: Have found lot of models , G50-30 , -70, -80, -81. Maybe you talking about 80 , and its a bit expensive. Can have better laptops like the one wich Frozen suggested for less money.

+HP 250: Toy Sad

+Acer Aspire E5-573G: 6gb ram + Nvidia gcard , can be a great model.

So in resume , i will take a look on:
Ideapad 500 , Lenovo b51-80 , or Acer Aspire

Apart from this , Im not a worker from Rockstar Games , so , im not going to make GTA VI haha. Im not going to make those kind of games , cause i dont have to much knowledges , but , thanks for the advice mate!
Hello guys!

Thanks for everyone's advices , i really apreciate them so hard.

Well , i have been searching , reading , and have found for 250€ an Asus K555 , from a shop that have it in exposition , so , them sold is cheap.

It comes with i5-5500U , Nvidia Gt940 2gb , 1tb 5400rpm ,8gb ram, I think that its enough for me , as I have been testing a bit with GTA V , ATS , and can run it with middle settings in 60fps.

[Image: PHVFuog.jpg]

Thanks for help me!
Enjoy your new purchase Wink
Reference URL's