[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Dying Soundcard/Dying Graphics Card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My PCs sound keeps going sometimes very static and sometimes very soft then goes up very loud and very soft again but none of my settings have been changed.
Also if I alt tab out to many times my screen goes double with lines through it and bright green.
Is this the sign of a dying soundcard and graphics card?
Thanks
Sounds for me like graphic card. But can be an other issue too.

Do you have a desktop PC or a Laptop?
How hot is the graphic card? And how hot are the disks?

To show the status of your disks you can use the programm "DiskInfo". For GPU you can use GPU-Z.
Look for your processor too (CPU-Z), but i dont think its an issue with the CPU.
Around 65C-70C for graphics card and a desktop
40 - 50°C is an good temperatur if the graphic card isnt realy working. If you use it (maybe while gaming) it should be around 70°C (+- 10°C, some cards hotter than others).

Which Card is it? (Model) and can you make a screenshot/picture of the graphic issues after alt+tab?

My first thougt was, that the graphic card getting too hot while gaming in cause of bad cooling. Often Notebooks have this problems in cause of dust in the fan. Some desktops have the same problems after working a while.

My advice is to test the card with a Benchmarkprogramm and take an eye to the temperature. Or try for test (if it possible for you) another graphiccard. Maybe a friend can lend one.
It only does the issues sometimes(mostly after 2 or 3 days) but I cannot because my PC doesn't work at all when it does it and I Have to hard shut it down(hold power button) and its a AMD Radeon 6570
Hard to make an diagnose from far away.

Can be the memory too. Or did you ever make a clean reinstall of your windows? It can be an issue with this too. Because an demage graphic card make trouble every time you use it in my experience.

Try what i have written. Do a graphic benchmark (like Futuremark 3DMark) and look for the temperature. If there any issues with the graphic card a hard benchmark will probably show it.

If this without results, check your memory with a tool like memtest.
Just a random idea. Disconnect the entire system from the power. Unplug PC, wheel, speakers, everything that goes into a wall-plug or has connection to things that are connected to power.
(2016-08-06 08:33)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]Just a random idea. Disconnect the entire system from the power. Unplug PC, wheel, speakers, everything that goes into a wall-plug or has connection to things that are connected to power.

Hardreset? Nice idea. But he must take out the little battery at the mainboard too or it doesent work. Its a little coincell which safe some configs when the PC is disconnected from the energy.

Example:
[Image: bios-cmos-batterie-vom-typ-cr-2032-auf-e...-253px.jpg]
No please not do that. Leave the battery in. Im rather thinking of static electricity that could have built up between powered devices.
(2016-08-06 09:46)Brixton Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-06 08:33)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]Just a random idea. Disconnect the entire system from the power. Unplug PC, wheel, speakers, everything that goes into a wall-plug or has connection to things that are connected to power.

Hardreset? Nice idea. But he must take out the little battery at the mainboard too or it doesent work. Its a little coincell which safe some configs when the PC is disconnected from the energy.

Mate, Chuck knows A LOT more about PCs than you will ever do so you don't need to incorrectly explain what removing a coin cell does Wink

And Stormer, have you performed a memory card stress test?

Following on from what Chuck said, a build up of dust in the system can cause a static build-up, is the insides of your PC clean?

Administrator Message by: BP

Don't be unnecessarily arrogant towards other members of the forum
Reinstall your PC to confirm that neither of your problems are software caused. The noise on your sound card could be a malfunctioning card though, I doubt the problem lies in your graphics card.
Confirm if your sound gets clean by giving it a go with the onboard sound card. Try a secondary (or onboard if applicable) graphics card to confirm if the problem with the green lines is in the graphics card.
(2016-08-06 16:24)Skoda Wrote: [ -> ]Mate, Chuck knows A LOT more about PCs than you will ever do so you don't need to incorrectly explain what removing a coin cell does Wink

You know nothing about me, so how can you tell.Wink Maybe he know more, but you cant know. In i just want to be helpfull. Smile

I wasn´t thinking about the static electric. And what chuck was writing is a way to hardreset too. And a hardreset can solve some issues with freezing computers.

Anyways, i think we must wait for the results of the tests.
Reference URL's