[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Improve You're Engrish Skrillz Todai
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2016-09-28 13:44)MousemanLV Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-28 12:37)Skoda Wrote: [ -> ]I was only meaning on this forum Moose Wink
Should of said that in le first place!

"should have"
Nah Chuck, he's in the middle of learning Yorkshire Wink
Thank you for pointing out a flaw in my grammar. If you could explain why then that would be fabulous. Keep in mind that I know 3 languages and I'm about to pick up a 4th one, definitely not easy to remember all the little things regarding each language!

aaand as with any forum, we have gone rather off-topic...including you, Chuck! :kappa:
(2016-09-28 18:29)MousemanLV Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for pointing out a flaw in my grammar. If you could explain why then that would be fabulous. Keep in mind that I know 3 languages and I'm about to pick up a 4th one, definitely not easy to remember all the little things regarding each language!

aaand as with any forum, we have gone rather off-topic...including you, Chuck! :kappa:

No need to defend yourself, I wasn't trying to offend. I just wanted to point out that you've adapted a bad habit with is quite common even among native English speakers. English is my 2nd language and I often wished that people would have given me advises or corrections. If you don't know what you're doing wrong, then how would you ever improve?

14 Common Grammatical Mistakes in English – And How to Avoid Them

Sorry for the OT, but there's hardly any other option right now Wink
(2016-09-29 05:56)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]adapted
with
advises

Adopted*
Which*
Advice*

W00t
I was wondering if it's really worth it to take the adblocker off.
Personally I was testing google ads too on a website and noticed that only clicks are worth it.

Either way, don't complain guys. I absolutely understand that [TC] Members don't wait to pay the fees on their own - they are already giving their voluntary work.

Always remember that advertisements are the better option than closing [TC]'s servers and the forum.

I btw also don't understand why native english speakers use "should OF" instead of "should HAVE"
Going offtopic on this one, but probably because "SHOULD'VE (SHOULD HAVE)" sounds just about the same as "SHOULD OF". That might just be me.

On topic, Thank you all who donated and thank you all who don't use adblocker (or any sort of ad-blocking-software-known-to-man). It warms my heart seeing so many people chip in.
(2016-09-29 17:19)Nick Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-29 05:56)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]adapted
with
advises

Adopted*
Which*
Advice*

W00t
#2 was a typing error, but the rest are genuine mistakes. So, thanks for thatSmile

(2016-09-29 17:31)Dino Wrote: [ -> ]I btw also don't understand why native english speakers use "should OF" instead of "should HAVE"
Cause it sounds a lot like "should've" which is short for "should have".
Same thing applies to using "your" instead of "you're".
Uhm, well.

Yes, should've sounds a bit like should of, but isn't it weird that the native english speakers (not all) use wrong grammar which confuses NOT native english speakers like me?
Its unfortunate that so much people has grammar issue's nowadays, it really grind's my gear's.

Jokes aside, I do see a lot of native English speakers getting basic grammar wrong, not sure if it's out of laziness or just not knowing. I'm not sure how much grammar is screwed up in other languages though. English is the only language I know.
to be fair, on places such as forums for me, it doesnt matter so much. i dont make the effort but i am aware of the mistakes i make and i like it when people get mad at me for it.
/care
I can barely write in my native language properly, let alone English.
(2016-09-29 21:24)BP Wrote: [ -> ].. I'm not sure how much grammar is screwed up in other languages though. English is the only language I know.

It's pretty much the same in German. There are very common mistakes but most of them will make you look stupid, rather than just lazy. Typical is mixing up "das/dass" or the false spelling of "nämlich" or "Fön".
However, if I chat in German, usually nothing of that would be accepted by any online translator lol. I noticed this is very different in English.
(2016-09-30 05:31)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-29 21:24)BP Wrote: [ -> ].. I'm not sure how much grammar is screwed up in other languages though. English is the only language I know.

It's pretty much the same in German. There are very common mistakes but most of them will make you look stupid, rather than just lazy. Typical is mixing up "das/dass" or the false spelling of "nämlich" or "Fön".
However, if I chat in German, usually nothing of that would be accepted by any online translator lol. I noticed this is very different in English.

True, I agree Chuck.
Same with "seit"/"seid", while the first one is always used when expressing "since when" something happens and the second one is used to decsribe someone/something.
Example:

Ich bin seit 7 Uhr wach. (awake since(?) 7 am)
Ihr seid zu laut. (too loud)

On the other hand I got a german example which a lot of people do wrong but it doesn't make the person look stupid.
It happens when you want to compare two things with each other and one thing is bigger/louder/taller/smaller or whatever

Du bist größer ALS ich (correct) (taller than)
Du bist größer wie ich (incorrect)
Du bist größer als wie ich (very incorrect)

When two things are exactly the same:
Du bist genauso groß WIE ich (correct) (as tall as)
Du bist genauso groß als ich (incorrect, very very very weird)
Du bist genauso grß als wie ich (rip)

Enough for today.
(2016-09-28 15:47)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-28 13:44)MousemanLV Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-28 12:37)Skoda Wrote: [ -> ]I was only meaning on this forum Moose Wink
Should of said that in le first place!

"should have"

"Should've"
(2016-09-30 05:31)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]It's pretty much the same in German. There are very common mistakes but most of them will make you look stupid, rather than just lazy. Typical is mixing up "das/dass" or the false spelling of "nämlich" or "Fön".

how the heck can you spell "Föhn" wrong? It's correct if you write "Föhn", "Fön", "Foen" - can't think of any other spelling? Biggrin
Improve Swedish language instead? Wink
(2016-09-30 14:40)Kayla Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-30 05:31)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]It's pretty much the same in German. There are very common mistakes but most of them will make you look stupid, rather than just lazy. Typical is mixing up "das/dass" or the false spelling of "nämlich" or "Fön".

how the heck can you spell "Föhn" wrong? It's correct if you write "Föhn", "Fön", "Foen" - can't think of any other spelling? Biggrin

Fön = Hairdryer (and this is the only correct spelling for this thing)
Föhn = name of a wind in the Alps
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's