[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Need someone with car knowledge..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So yesterday I was at my local race track helping out as fire and rescue. I had to go out to an incident where under someones engine bay their booster cables caught fire(drift car)and the driver said the mat was asbestos(cancer causing chemical) and it was burning.. the car was a 1995 skyline if that's any help. I didn't breath the shit in and I've since taken the proper precautions required but I want to ask, do some cars actually have asbestos in certain parts or at all?

I've googled it and can't find any info.
(2017-01-08 11:05)StatGear Wrote: [ -> ]So yesterday I was at my local race track helping out as fire and rescue. I had to go out to an incident where under someones engine bay their booster cables caught fire(drift car)and the driver said the mat was asbestos(cancer causing chemical) and it was burning.. the car was a 1995 skyline if that's any help. I didn't breath the shit in and I've since taken the proper precautions required but I want to ask, do some cars actually have asbestos in certain parts or at all?

I've googled it and can't find any info.

Yes some cars do, for example the clutch disc in cars used to be asbestos and im sure there are other things aswell
(2017-01-08 11:16)Mufflord Wrote: [ -> ]Yes some cars do, for example the clutch disc in cars used to be asbestos and im sure there are other things aswell

Ah ok, but like they didn't have asbestos heat mats or anything though did they?
(2017-01-08 11:18)StatGear Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-08 11:16)Mufflord Wrote: [ -> ]Yes some cars do, for example the clutch disc in cars used to be asbestos and im sure there are other things aswell

Ah ok, but like they didn't have asbestos heat mats or anything though did they?

Afaik asbestos is a very diverse material and is widely used, so there could've been im not sure
Moving to Off Topic forum.
(2017-01-08 11:20)Mufflord Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-08 11:18)StatGear Wrote: [ -> ]

Afaik asbestos is a very diverse material and is widely used, so there could've been im not sure

Hm alright, will await and see the test results that come back from my fire suit I was wearing then, thanks Smile
I doubt a 1995 Nissan would have had any asbestos in it from the factory, even in the clutch and brake pads. But if it's a drift car, it is possible or even likely that such mat would've been installed later. The builder&owner of the car probably knows best.
Asbestos stopped being used in brakes in clutches in the late 50s/early 60s I thought. But a quick google and turns out the crown vic still had asbestos brakes in 1993. I remember out school buses (Up til about 2011, when I graduated) had asbestos brakes on the older ones. It's also common on older semi trailers.

It would be odd for someone to install an asbestos heat mat in a newer vehicle as there are much better materials out there for heat absorption etc.
watch out, you might get ebola
(2017-01-08 11:57)Blade3562 Wrote: [ -> ]Asbestos stopped being used in brakes in clutches in the late 50s/early 60s I thought. But a quick google and turns out the crown vic still had asbestos brakes in 1993. I remember out school buses (Up til about 2011, when I graduated) had asbestos brakes on the older ones. It's also common on older semi trailers.

It would be odd for someone to install an asbestos heat mat in a newer vehicle as there are much better materials out there for heat absorption etc.

In fact one of the first manufacturers to use asbestos-free OEM brake pads was Saab, and that was as late as 1982.

I would think asbestos mat could be used in a drifter because it just "might've been around." I know my old boss at a garage had a lot of old leftover asbestos mat. Not much use for it other than to use as spark protection when welding.
(2017-01-08 12:03)Audiojack Wrote: [ -> ]In fact one of the first manufacturers to use asbestos-free OEM brake pads was Saab, and that was as late as 1982.

I would think asbestos mat could be used in a drifter because it just "might've been around." I know my old boss at a garage had a lot of old leftover asbestos mat. Not much use for it other than to use as spark protection when welding.

Are they meant to catch alight though like this one did?
(2017-01-08 13:11)StatGear Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-08 12:03)Audiojack Wrote: [ -> ]In fact one of the first manufacturers to use asbestos-free OEM brake pads was Saab, and that was as late as 1982.

Are they meant to catch alight though like this one did?

Asbestos is very difficult to light on fire. So most likely not. But if the car was seriously lit up and already burning extensively, it may be possible.

E: I'd like to point out though that despite being extremely fire retardant and doesn't burn well in any situation, if it was asbestos then the dust would be all over the place anyway. But if it was burning very cleanly and easily then it most likely was not it.

And anyway if it was asbestos there's bugger all you could do about it now, other than hope you don't get cancer W00t
Yeah the most dangerous part about asbestos is the dust from it cracking or breaking. Though, in a one small situation like that, also it being burned and not torn apart, should be very much harmless.
Thanks for all your comments guys, greatly appreciated Smile
Reference URL's