[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: [GUIDE] - [TOW] Guide - By BoyPower & Towcat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, this is a [TOW] guide by BoyPower & Towcat.
NOTE: This will guide you through how to act and what to do and what not to do, and some basic towing maneuvers. Becoming a physically good [TOW] will take practice. What you need to know is - don't ram and remember to be polite!

Content:

1.1 - Introduction
1.2 - Your Name
1.3 - TOW Skins
1.4 - Commands And Their Uses
1.5 - How To Behave & Your Tow Rights
1.6 - Obtaining Cash
1.7 - Towcat's Towing Tutorial
1.8 - Am I Missing Anything?
1.9 - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1.1 - Introduction

This is a [TOW] guide which will hopefully educate the new people of the server who want to tow on our servers. Towing is ultimately performing calculated nudges or hits on ones vehicle who require and request it. For example, someone who is out of fuel may ask for your assistance in which case you should push them to a "Safe Zone" (a safe zone is a place where you can pit without losing your KM bonus), someone who is stuck in the sand will just require a little nudge; someone who is upside down may need to be hit in a calculated manner in order for them to get back onto their wheels. Towing does not equal ramming, and that is something that you need to keep in mind, to avoid getting disciplined by the administrators. Anyone can be a [TOW], you do not need a certain amount of kilometres or playing time to put that tag in!

1.2 - Your Name

Your name should always have a [TOW] tag in it, without this tag, you will not be able to use any of the tow commands available to you. If you read on, you will find out about the commands and the uses for them. The [TOW] in your name can be any colour; yellow is a favourite amongst the players of the servers. The [TOW] should also be in one colour, or the server will not recognise it as a tow tag, and therefore the commands will not be usable for you. Below, there is an example of a valid tow tag:
[Image: Tow%20name.png]

1.3 -TOW Skins

Community Website → Downloads → Police+Tow Skins Pack (v2.1 full)

You can download the tow skins by following the instructions stated above. When you download them, upload the ones you want to LFS World and select "My online car-skins" and upload them there - you need to choose a different name otherwise it won't let you upload it because that name is already being used. The danger of relying on someone else who has uploaded, is that they can change the skin without you realising - and the skin will show the same to you, but different to others.

To be able to actually use them, follow the following instructions:

Open up your LFS folder → Data → Skins.

When you go as a TOW, you absolutely must have a TOW skin on or you are violating the server rules. Civilian skins, police and medic skins aren't allowed as [TOW]. Civilians are not allowed to use police, medic and tow skins, respectively.

1.4 - Commands And Their Uses

[Image: commands.jpg]

The picture above contains all the commands relevant to a [TOW]. I don't really need to expand on anything else because that picture sums it all up.

When someone calls a tow, on the top of your screen, it'd show:
[Image: tow-alert.jpg]
And after a second:
[Image: towcall.jpg]

When there's a towing request, you can !respond as the first picture says.
It looks like this in the chat:
[Image: respond.jpg]

On the top of your screen it says TASK now, and you still see the location:
[Image: task_insimbar.jpg]

Also, somewhere on your screen you will find this:
[Image: direction.jpg]
It points to the towing location.

1.5 - How To Behave & Your Tow Rights

When there's a tow request, do not spam !respond. This will annoy other users and will probably get you punished for spamming. You need to be careful when towing vehicles, because ramming is not permitted in the servers and will get you punished as well. When responding to a TOW scene, you are not allowed to use a strobe, but when you're at the scene - you are. Horn 4 and 5 are not allowed for [TOW]s. You can read all of the rules relevant to [TOW]s here: Server Rules

To find a strobe (or lights) to use when you're at the scene, go to Community Website → Downloads

It's not against the server rules to break road laws as a [TOW], although it's against the law - you have no special permissions as a tow, you can get pulled over by the police for wrong-doings (e.g speeding, driving on the wrong side).
Better drive safe to your towing location... The worst thing you can do as TOW is causing an accident.

If a civilian is helping a person who needs help, don't tell him to "Go away!" - we know that this job is what you are meant to be doing, but that civilian does have the right to help people too. However, you can politely ask him to step away momentarily, so you can help the person in need - if he refuses, so be it - move on to someone else who needs help. It's very important to remember not to be arrogant to civilians who are helping other people.

Very important:
When you are at the towing scene, always use !caution if it could endanger the traffic e.g. there is a flipped car in the middle of the road. If possible push it to a safe place, where you can flip it.
Always watch out for traffic (especially chases) when towing on a road.

This indicates that your caution lights are ON
[Image: caution.jpg]

1.6 - Obtaining Cash

If you tow somebody and then say, for example - "Now pay me 500 euros", they do not have to do it. Even if you arrange a payment before-hand and then you tow them, they still don't have to pay you, but it'd be dishonest of them. If you believe you're an experienced enough [TOW], you can ask for money before-hand, and when they give it to you, you tow them, but it's important you do know what you're doing, because if you fail to tow them, you effectively ripped them off - although this isn't against the server rules, it's still frowned upon and dishonest.

1.7 - Towcat's Towing Tutorial

Towcat made a little Turorial about towing maneuvers - here it is:

1.8 - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Question: N/A
Answer: N/A

Question: N/A
Answer: N/A

No questions and answered have been added yet.

1.9 - Am I Missing Anything?

Please tell me if I am missing anything within this guide, and if I have made any (spelling) mistakes or anything. Thank you.

More to come, possibly...

"[TOW] Guide" by BoyPower - 16/10/2011 ©
Updated: 31.12.2012 by Towcat
nice guide, very helpful :')
Nice guide, stickied.
Very nice bp.
Great guide BP
Nice one BP Smile I like it

Edit: Here I have a link to tow training sign up thread: http://forum.city-driving.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=255
Nice guide BP, well done. Smile
really nice guide Smile good job
Very nice guide, well done Smile
Everyone using one of these skins should rename the file and upload it to his individual skin-space on lfsworld.net. Otherwise you cant be sure that this file is actually hosted there. Furthermore, the original hoster could delete the file, or even worse, modify it. He could change the skin by writing "Im a dong" on the doors. You will still see your car as tow, but everyone else will see you're a 'dong'. I don't think you want that Wink
But that's the fun bit Chuck Wink
(2011-10-16 21:18)Fast 4 Nitro Wrote: [ -> ]Nice one BP Smile I like it

Edit: Here I have a link to tow training sign up thread: http://forum.city-driving.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=255

Updated.

(2011-10-17 06:36)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]Everyone using one of these skins should rename the file and upload it to his individual skin-space on lfsworld.net. Otherwise you cant be sure that this file is actually hosted there. Furthermore, the original hoster could delete the file, or even worse, modify it. He could change the skin by writing "Im a dong" on the doors. You will still see your car as tow, but everyone else will see you're a 'dong'. I don't think you want that Wink

Okay.. updated.
The guide is now up to date.

Thanks to Towcat.
Very nice. I learned some good tips Smile
Thing I noticed:

At 1.3, it tells you to follow instructions, then gives you none Tongue
(2012-12-31 00:16)KaraK Wrote: [ -> ]Thing I noticed:

i didn't touch that part, but it does?... or i get something wrong
(2012-12-31 00:16)KaraK Wrote: [ -> ]Thing I noticed:

"Community Website" is clickable, and those arrows mean 'and then', typically.

So necessary instructions are there. Smile
I was talking about this part:

Quote:To be able to actually use them, follow the following instructions:

(2012-12-31 10:15)KaraK Wrote: [ -> ]I was talking about this part:

Quote:To be able to actually use them, follow the following instructions:

With respect, I think saying 'put the file in the folder' is a little bit obvious considering that is its primary purpose.
Great guide but one thing I noticed with respect to the image showing an arrow and distance to the tow job is that you are required to purchase a locator before this function works. I thought it was worth mentioning this as I didn't have this and wondered why I wasn't getting the same on my screen as it shows in the image. I only found this out by going through the list of insim commands the other day and seeing that you needed to have it or else it wouldn't point you in the correct direction. Not a big deal but might be worth a mention. The locator is certainly a great addition to TOW, COP, MED or RES
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's