[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: My car makes a new sound. Can you help me?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone!

Since a couple of days my engine started ''rattling'' its a sound in the background of the engine, and its getting worse pretty fast so I am starting to get worried.

I am not a mechanic so maybe you guys recognise the sound and can tell me what it is.

The sound it makes
The sound I mean is the ring-ring-ring-ring sound Tongue
It does sound naturally in some way but it never did it before the ringing/rattling goes together with my RPM.

I hope you guys can tell me whats wrong Ohmy
Can't you locate it when you open the bonnet?
Does it happen with cold start? Or always?
(2017-03-01 17:05)Borja Wrote: [ -> ]Does it happen with cold start? Or always?

Always

(2017-03-01 17:05)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]Can't you locate it when you open the bonnet?

It's hard to tell it seems to come around the place where the timing belt is but not entirely sure.
Could be a bearing on one of the timing/accessory belt pulleys.
(2017-03-01 17:09)Audiojack Wrote: [ -> ]Could be a bearing on one of the timing/accessory belt pulleys.

Someone else also thought that. But is it normal that it gets worse this fast then? I really notice it getting worse by the day.

And if it is one of these then I better replace it fast before something snaps right?
If the timing belt snaps, it's game over. If it's your auxiliary belt (alternator belt), then what will happen is your alternator will not be charging the battery which in turn will mean your car won't start Tongue

In another suggestion, is your air conditioning on?
(2017-03-01 17:10)Don Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-01 17:09)Audiojack Wrote: [ -> ]Could be a bearing on one of the timing/accessory belt pulleys.

Someone else also thought that. But is it normal that it gets worse this fast then? I really notice it getting worse by the day.

And if it is one of these then I better replace it fast before something snaps right?

A broken bearing will eat itself out real fast, it will also heat up while spinning because of the excess friction. This can cause it to lock up altogether. And yes, you should always replace broken timing parts fast before you get a major malfunction W00t
Can you post a cold startup, then rev it? Not rev the bollocks off it but you get what I mean Wink I can't come to a decent conclusion apart from something is loose/broken/rattling.
It's just a wild guess, it could be the belt connecting the alternator. When they get old, they get cracks and each time a crack passes one of the rolls it is rolling over, it creates some noise.

It may look like this.
[Image: Keilriemen-495x330-7ec9502131bcbf59.jpg]

With a flashlight you should be able to see whether its looking new (as in the pic) or damaged.
(2017-03-01 17:14)Ash Wrote: [ -> ]If the timing belt snaps, it's game over. If it's your auxiliary belt (alternator belt), then what will happen is your alternator will not be charging the battery which in turn will mean your car won't start Tongue

In another suggestion, is your air conditioning on?

A/C Is off Wink
I've heard that noise in a lot of Ford Mondeos/Fiestas & Focus's.

A quick check would be to simply just check the oil isn't low at the very least.

My guess would be something camshaft related though, but not something that would prevent you from driving it.
(2017-03-01 17:14)Owl Wrote: [ -> ]Can you post a cold startup, then rev it? Not rev the bollocks off it but you get what I mean Wink I can't come to a decent conclusion apart from something is loose/broken/rattling.

The start from the sound you heard was a cold start. I left the car at work where they have a bridge, so I'll send you some tomorrow.
Also I read somewhere that Mondeo engines make a rattling sound when overfilled with oil.
(2017-03-01 17:17)Nismo Wrote: [ -> ]I've heard that noise in a lot of Ford Mondeos/Fiestas & Focus's.

A quick check would be to simply just check the oil isn't low at the very least.

My guess would be something camshaft related though, but not something that would prevent you from driving it.

I have a Mondeo indeed. Sorry I forgot to point that out.
I have a 2003 Mondeo with a 1.8 Duratec engine the 110 hp.

Camshaft that sounds expensive. The oil is good tho. Tomorrow I am also replacing the oil just to make sure.

(2017-03-01 17:17)Owl Wrote: [ -> ]Try this. (If it's a petrol) -> http://www.talkford.com/community/topic/...uratec-18/

Good found I am going to read that trough!
(2017-03-01 17:18)Owl Wrote: [ -> ]Also I read somewhere that Mondeo engines make a rattling sound when overfilled with oil.

Ford engines have always been really picky about the oil.
(2017-03-01 17:24)Audiojack Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-01 17:18)Owl Wrote: [ -> ]Also I read somewhere that Mondeo engines make a rattling sound when overfilled with oil.

Also about the type of oil? Last time I put reasonably cheap one in and not the recommended one. I took the cheaper one that they said you can also fill the car with if needed. But I completely did a refresh with that oil.
could be a cover lose in engine bay, from something makes that sound to.
(2017-03-01 17:27)Don Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-01 17:24)Audiojack Wrote: [ -> ]

Also about the type of oil? Last time I put reasonably cheap one in and not the recommended one. I took the cheaper one that they said you can also fill the car with if needed. But I completely did a refresh with that oil.

Especially some older Zetecs and CVH's had valve lifter trouble with incorrect oil, From my time working at a garage I've noticed that Ford Genuine and Valvoline worked best on those. I haven't had much experience with newer Fords.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's