[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Nova's really good circuit layouts *small changes* (Weston TC ver)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Being around Weston (Westhill) and seeing some changes going through particularly Paddock Tunnel Way, and I've decided to come out hiding for a bit, and at least attempt to reorganise some stuff. Nothing major, however. So don't worry - there aren't any flyovers, corkscrews, 7-way junctions. Just working with what's set in place!

[Image: 2bbd1c1287835f9588ab7a8652dd2b97.png]
Weston (Westhill)

A few simple, pleasing changes have been made, most of which are to improve the driving flow, as well as to reduce the chances of accidents, along with easing the road structure to better allow chases to move along.

If you have any feedback, do comment below bleh blah.... but seriously - thank you for all the support and suggestion in-server you've been providing me; although I can no longer (for the time being, until someone sees that I'm doing this for the community - and gives the green light) to make drastic changes.

Here's my take on Weston.

> Paddock Tunnel Way -> Entrance of Stunt Zone
[Image: 81d81a9e659ec68e248a2f5493123066.jpg]

As highlighted at the introduction, the unnecessary dividing armco has been replaced with a "soft" string of signs and small tire bundles, similar to what is on Montana. They should work in keeping cars on the correct side of the road; reminding newbies, as well as providing places to pass cars in case of a chase or accident.
Also, a smooth and more "open" entry to Stunt Zone has been created to the left side, with exit and entry viaducts to allow cars to filter safely, reducing tailbacks.

> Gas Station
[Image: 803045121abb9893aa1ba3f08a5df8cd.jpg]

[Image: 390f2d27f1ea12ee98d4a0974dd06f9f.jpg]

A similar concept applies to the entrance to the gas station. Previously, there were two exits, unmarked, with the 'entry' being extremely tight, meaning you'd have to slow down considerably to make the turn, which may cause accidents behind you.

Now, a entryway has been created to properly allow cars to slow down and get away from the main road before making the turn. The exit is also marked and seperated by a dividing wall and hump. *Do note the secondary exit is available to the right of the diesel signboard on the road to Service Rd, as usual.

> Stunt Zone Entrance

[Image: dcf8a10b7090e0bacbef9862f87dd384.png]

A simplified, crisp and wider design allowing cars to enter and exit without a tight squeeze like on thanksgiving dinner.

> Paddock Tunnel Way -> Roundabout
[Image: 0b5a4f31fc1f28651b56a7f3ced289c4.jpg]

Being more to aesthetical purpose, the digger can be removed from the layout if needed, if it's an eyesore.
A full modelled digger construction site, and the roadwork has been shifted to the other side of the road. This may seem weird, but it is to discourage people from going right and cutting the roundabout, on the wrong way, and cutting through the grass from Industrial Buildings area.

Or burn the digger down. Anyway works.

> East Tunnel -> Brad's Bridge

[Image: 0246097313462ac0db9af940d97487ca.jpg]
[Image: 78e771a614f592727311c73701e66271.jpg]

The bridge has now been linked to cross over the Infield straight without a kink to Brad's Bridge street. Not only being easier to navigate and smoother, this also removes the "car jumping bridge" factor that we see in chases.. Well, you can jump it at full speed, just prepare to hit your head on the angled roof on the left side Smile
Full 2 lanes provide ease of traffic as well as less congestion.
--

I hope these few changes have been... interesting, at least, and useful.
The changes should be in line with the feedback I've been given, thus, if there's anything needed to be tweaked, do let me know.
Thank you all for the constant support!

This layout will not be given to [TC] to trial as of yet. This depends on the response it gets here. Upvote if you think this would be a welcome change, but feel free to downvote if you feel that the current arrangement floats your boat!

Thanks for reading, Happy Holidays!

Cheers
Nova
Except the Brad's Bridge modification it looks quite simple and smoother as before. Why not anyway Smile
I think it would work very well,in my opinion is safest.
@Raphi

The bridge is actually quite smooth, doesn't have the kinks on the 90-degree turn it had before.

To all, the layout has now been attached below, as well as in the thread start post. Please give it a drive and tell me how it feels!

There will be a second patch to this, based off TC Discord feedback Thomas' feedback about the "Offroad Rally grass patch" that needs closing off or rerouting for chase sake, as well as DodoG's feedback about the Westlodge area.

Cheers!
Weston Layout Patch 1

AMENDMENT ANNOUNCEMENT
PATCH REVOKED

*Due to the response pertaining to this patch, Westlodge and Grass offroad have been reopened. Edits are to be made on admin's discretion only.

Thank you to Thomas and DodoG for their important feedback, both of which are equally valid and probably supported very well!

Cheers!
I think you have some ideas here which are worth pursuing. However, the issue is that the poll is quite vague. You have suggested numerous changes to the layout (and further suggestions/changes to your draft after some people have voted) so would a 'yes' vote mean everything, or just part of it?
Same applies to the "No" vote, but only one person has voted that so far.
(2018-01-04 13:16)BP Wrote: [ -> ]I think you have some ideas here which are worth pursuing. However, the issue is that the poll is quite vague. You have suggested numerous changes to the layout (and further suggestions/changes to your draft after some people have voted) so would a 'yes' vote mean everything, or just part of it?

The votes collated after should be reflected for as a whole for the main layout altogether, not for only 1 part of it. Moreover, these are fully community suggested, hence I do hope the votes have been well thought through beforehand even!

I am bound by the forum limitations, thus the poll cannot be split into a secondary ones to collate results for each change. I hope the people who voted wholly accept the changes, as per say they don't - they can comment below in the thread with their own suggestion as to which bits can be tweaked Smile

*The edits I made after posting the OT were to correct some images and text.

*Note that the update patch 1 should be the one and only one to the layout.
Thomas' suggestion is quite well supported already and has enough foundation to probably count into the original thread starter, with or without. Smile

Cheers BP!
(2018-01-04 13:14)AOR Nova Wrote: [ -> ]> Westlodge : WestGrill Restaurant and Bar
[Image: 58d6be2381046a03cb56c878b64a7eb2.png]
[Image: 6aef4738e3f8e21cfb3796c8bc6ceff5.png]

The tight spaces that suspects can use to attempt to maze-through or get a cop stuck has now been blocked off.

If you have any further feedback, do comment below! This patch layout is attached below to test.
Note that apart from the grass area and Westlodge, this update patch has the same arrangement as the layout in the original post, attached above.

Cheers!

I like everything you have pursued in this layout change apart from the latest one. If your going to block every slight trick in the book a suspect can use to escape then its unfair. No need to put this barrier here. Make it fair. Just my opinions! Biggrin

Good work though Nova, I'm impressed!
Mhm. I noted that. Maybe I'll free up Westlodge. Can't seal everything up I guess.

The grass merry go round rally stage wil be remain sealed however. That was a long time coming :/
I like the changes, however I'm not particularly keen on the new bridge layout. I think the old one was fine the way it was.
(2018-01-04 17:12)Jack Wrote: [ -> ]I like the changes, however I'm not particularly keen on the new bridge layout. I think the old one was fine the way it was.

Hmm, valid point. It was changed to prevent people from jumping it from the ramp at the start and landing at the other side, and also to reduce the chances of a cop pitting someone over the wall at the 90-degree turn.
We'll see how it goes mate! If more people suggest against the remodelled bridge, I'll gladly remove it. Smile
I agree with everything except WestLodge blockage, and Im doubtful about Paddock Way without armcos. Yes, from one side its better to lease some "claustrophobic" feeling to it, but from the other side imo it will make WW and overtaking more dangerous, drifters losing control and an arab drifter here and there. Another good side is, in case someone ends up WW, they have space to go back into the correct side. It's a 50-50.
The current armco divider - yes, it reduces WW, and denys arab drifting.

But, it causes messy accidents if a car is blocking, messy chases, and if one has gone wrong way at speed, he/she is bound to the wrong side, and makes it virtually impossible to return to the correct lane.

Plus for chases, if traffic is encountered, its pretty much end of the chase right there, because they won't be able to pass.

It's 50-50 indeed but the benefits of having a more open road far outweigh the cons of having a immovable divider. Arab drifting will still be discouraged because of the dividing tire bundles, so why not Smile
So why the removal of armco in one place but not the other place down the road?

And you say messy accidents, but rogue tyres are much more messy and can cause more accidents then an armco. You say chases will be affected, there is space on the left for people to move out the way, at least when you are going down the road, but then by removing the barriers you are encouraging the chase to go wrong way to pass which can cause a lot of accidents on a road as busy as paddock tunnel way
(2018-01-06 22:56)AdamB Wrote: [ -> ]So why the removal of armco in one place but not the other place down the road?

And you say messy accidents, but rogue tyres are much more messy and can cause more accidents then an armco. You say chases will be affected, there is space on the left for people to move out the way, at least when you are going down the road, but then by removing the barriers you are encouraging the chase to go wrong way to pass which can cause a lot of accidents on a road as busy as paddock tunnel way

Because the gas station area is a entry/exit area. It needs armco to differenciate points of turn-in or exit.

Yes, there is space on the inside for one side the road. But the other? Plus, if someone spins out, he/she is contained within the walls of the armcos and the traffic behind are fated to crash or get stuck behind the incident.

I've always felt that a layout (or anything, in particular) should not be continuously updated to be more "safe and noob-proof". It ruins the experience, by basically baby-proofing something to prevent other stuff from happening. Almost like an immediate overreaction.
I always think that coaching and informing others who misbehave is the right way forward. Why mess something up when people can be taught? We have the community, admins and friendly people for a reason.
By noob proofing the roads to 'be one step ahead of offenders', we neglect the simple task of reminding or teaching offenders or newbies of the right way to behave.
Wrongs can be corrected and needless action such as armcoing everything do not need to take place

Remember, that yes, the armcos may be an immediate solution to noobs/offenders/newbies, but those noobs or newbies will still be in the grey and can commit other offenses elsewhere. Not good in the long run.

Not sure if my point will be understood, Adam, but I guess being a long term admin on a noob-filled racing server serves as a lesson for me already..

AMENDMENT ANNOUNCEMENT

Update Patch 1 for Westlodge blocking and Grass cordoning has been revoked.
What about replacing the long armcos with many gapped combined red and white barriers down paddock tunnel way?

My problem with PTW at the moment, those armcos cause more accidents then it prevents due to drivers being impatient.
Reference URL's