[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Question about a rule and breaking it
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So the rule is that you're not allowed to overtake a chase.

What are you meant to do if the cop has done a PIT and both cop and suspect are stopped in the apron/grass or near the bottom of the autobahn?

Passing them on the high side while affecting literally nobody or stopping right in the middle of the autobahn for the rule?

I get it if its there to not overtake a chase on a random twisty road going at 120+km/hr but having to suddenly stop in the autobahn is just kind of ridiculous.

I get it thats its is a rule but can it be ''pardoned'' at such situations instead of having a cop cry about it and ask for an apology because of it?
You can bind some text 'Sorry/Np' to one of your hotkeys, press it whenever you're engaged in an accident and you're good to go.

Accidents do occur, as for the chases, players are expected to reduce their speed as the siren interface show up. one of the things I do is to u-turn and drive the other way, otherwise just wait a little and the road will be cleared up.

I agree that siren can sometimes be difficult to react to as since it's most of the time on screen or when you're approaching very quickly, or you're in a chase and you need to pass, but that's the way it is, so adapt accordingly Smile.

See you on the road!
If the chase is moving = Don't Overtake
If the chase isn't moving = Overtake With Care
F.e. if you encounter with a chase on a 4-lane road, don't try to overtake, since while you pass they could start driving again because the suspect got free from the box.

And how is stopping on the AB to let a chase pass ridiculous? Its ridiculous just because you have to slow down?

Tip: If you go counter-clockwise there will be no cops nor traffic, since everyone goes clockwise on Kyoto's Oval for some odd reason.
And how is stopping on the AB to let a chase pass ridiculous? Its ridiculous just because you have to slow down?

Main issue with that is the whole you get fined for going to slowly bit, its like a lose lose situation.

do is to u-turn and drive the other way,

Can't do that on the AB

Chase was ahead of me and stopped, I passed with caution and the cop started complaining about it, I wen't out of the way when they overtook me again halfway across the AB.
Never heard of a cop fining someone for going slow, closest I saw was a cop just advicing the driver not to hog the overtake lane.

· Just slow down (without stopping completely), stay close to the wall as close you can get and either indicate right (or left if map is left-side driving) or use hazards, which acknowledges you know the chase is behind you and you are slowing down to give way. Sometimes cops abuse !move even when a driver pulled over and is giving way.
If you find yourself with a chase behind on tight spaces (on and off-ramps, 1-lane roads), don't hesitate and drive as fast as your car can go and pull over when there is an open space wide enough for the chase to pass. Cops here tend to spam !move (at least those who don't know how to read the situation nor have experience as cops).

· If there is a chase right ahead, pull over and stop on the right side (or left if the map is left-side driving) as always, so that way you can leave space in case someones fails to brake in time.

Tho I understand that sometimes it's hard to see SIRENS, especially when traveling at high speeds (happened to me a few times on Kyoto too), and other drivers that have potatoes as eyes causing major wrecks because they are in a hurry to nowhere.-
There is a fine for driving too slowly on the autobahn yes, however any normal cop would not fine you if you're slowing down or stopping for a chase/hazard, if they were to, a refund request on the forum would be processed in your favour.

If this is the situation I think this is, regardless of where the chase is, you're still overtaking it, which goes against rule 1.5 in any situation, I've had many chases ruined where someone decided to overtake a 30km/h chase, just as the suspect is coming out of a box and going into the lane where the overtake is happening.

The rule is very clear:

"1.5. Stay away from chases.
Let suspects and cops pass and give them room for manoeuvring. Do not follow or overtake chases. If a chase gets closer, stay passive, slow down and wait until the situation is over. Do not help the suspect or the police."

It does not stipulate that overtaking a stopped or very slow chase is allowed, so therefore it is not excusable.

The following statement assumes the chase is completely stopped... If the chase is moving very slowly in same direction as player, the numbers are therefore higher.

Regarding the whole "it is hard to see chases at such a distance..." The Siren shows from 300M away, at an update speed of once per second I believe, so in the exact perfect case of where it updates when you're exactly 300M away from it, traveling at 120km/h as you stated, it would update a total of 9 times before you're right on the chase. Even if you don't see the first 6 updates, you're still 99M away, which by that point you can Normally see the chase. According to google, the average car takes 60M to stop at 100km/h so, if you speculate, add another 10M on, you're still 29M away from the chase, which yes is quite close, but you're not breaking the rule.

The excuse of not having time or possibility of stopping is just absolute rubbish.

The reason the rule gets broken over and over is because people do not care for it, then try and get a free pass as you've done so here. If everyone started to react at 300M, regardless of if it was coming their way or not, the situation you're complaining about would never happen.

TL;DR - You have 300M to slow down and react, the insim updates quick enough to allow you to react, if everyone did so as soon as they saw it there would be no problem. Overtaking is not allowed, in any circumstance, follow it and do not ask for a free pass because you simply do not care for the rule.
I fail to understand the initial situation. A chase doesn't just stop somewhere. Unless its a traffic stop, the cars are likely to keep on moving.
Well, the official answer is:

Quote:1.5. Stay away from chases.

Let suspects and cops pass and give them room for manoeuvring. Do not follow or overtake chases. If a chase gets closer, stay passive, slow down and wait until the situation is over. Do not help the suspect or the police.

No overtaking chases - This is because even if you think it is safe / reasonable to overtake, it is extremely difficult to be absolutely certain that a cop or suspect won't suddenly make an unpredictable move.
Wait until the situation is over - Can be annoying in some cases, such as the Autobahn, but it is necessary. In a lot of other cases, you can just pull a safe U-Turn but of course that's not really possible with the Autobahn. It's just one of those things which you have to live with.

If the chase is stopped somewhere, then after 5 seconds the suspect will be busted. If the chase continues to move, you shouldn't be passing it anyway.
Guess It's just one of those rules that are set in stone more than a use judgement/common sense which is fine tbh.

I'll know not to piss off any cops next time.
Reference URL's