[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Dashcam recommendations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Aye, since dashcams have been recently approved by the German Federal Court, my dad asked me for one. But I have no real clue either, so I'm wondering if somebody here can actually recommend some particular device.

Thanks in advance
Had a nextbase 512g , all nice image and quality and 60fps and wide view 180degree , but baterry died amd stoped working since
We have a pretty cheap (maybe 40€ new?) dashcam branded "Ring", it has done its job perfectly well for about a year now.

But for this price there is a "but": The first two examples we got from the store only worked for a while until it corrupted the memory card which then needed formatting.
The third replacement doesn't suffer from this problem and it had a different firmware version too, so perhaps this is not a problem with "Ring" cameras any more, but something to keep in mind if you decide to go for a low tier cheap dashcam.
Thanks for the infos here and on Discord.
I went for the Aukey DR2 + GPS gadget.
Makes a solid impression.

https://www.aukey.com/products/stealth-1...h-cam-dr02
I use a Mobius Actioncam. Not actually sure how it fares to other dashcams in terms of quality for price.

Records at 1080p and 30fps which is perfect. It's really small so it isn't distracting when driving. You can save clips on the move (hitting the save button saves the last 10 mins of footage). It records continuously for ~2 hours (depending on how many saved clips you have on there) at which point it starts recording over itself.

Tbh, there may well be better options for the price, but I've had it for a few years without issue.

The one you've bought looks pretty good.
Blackvue cams seem to be pretty popular with dash cam owners in Australia, though I personally have a navman mivue 850 in my car.
(2018-05-16 06:29)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]Aye, since dashcams have been recently approved by the German Federal Court,

wut? As far as i understood it they still violate data protection law (Datenschutzrecht), however eventhough they violate the law they can be used as evidence in court.

So you can still be prosecuted for having one, however unlikely that may be.

(2018-05-16 06:29)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]But I have no real clue either, so I'm wondering if somebody here can actually recommend some particular device.

I am using this one.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01CXDP...UTF8&psc=1
  • Quality during daytime is quite decent, numberplates should not be an issue. Nighttime you will be easily able to see whats going on, but you can forget spotting numberplates even at very short distances.
  • Has a wide angle lense, which makes incidents seem a lot less "spectacular" than they actually were.
  • No battery so it will permanently need juice.
  • You can connect to the camera via app and pull the videos to your phone or watch them on the display of the camera.
  • Emergency recording button, so important incidents won't be overwritten.
  • Camera ain't very small and easily recognizeable.
Was my first dashcam and just wanted to try one out before i spend more money on one, but have been rather happy with it, so it's been in use for close to 2 years now.
It is still not entirely clear, but I don't think you're getting in trouble just for using it.
Gee, I wish we had a government that is slightly more intelligent than a 3 year old kid.
Reference URL's