[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Forums: show private message content in email notifications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

When you subscribe to a specific thread/forum or when you enable email notifications for PMs, the content of the message is not shown which makes the notification pretty useless.
You only receive link to your PMs and the name of the sender.
I wish there was a content of the message inside email.

Pretty sure this is customizable via admin control panel.
I'd prefer to keep it as it is. Reasons:

- If someone has hacked your email account, they'll also be able to see your forum PMs (Actually, this point is redundant)
- It's possible to cancel PMs which have been unopened. That feature would be useless if they received the contents of the PM in an email.
- You'll have to go into the forum to respond anyway
If someone hacks my email, this is my responsibility. Moreover, even if they don't see the content of the email directly, they can reset my forum password and read them straight away.

How is rejecting PM even useful? I understand real life's registered letters, but this is just a game server forum where the most horrible thing that may happen is my ass get kicked off forever.

Most of messages do not require me to start dialog
gyunter Wrote:How is rejecting PM even useful? I understand real life's registered letters, but this is just a game server forum where the most horrible thing that may happen is my ass get kicked off forever.

There have been occasions in the past where I sent a PM to somebody, but then realised I had forgotten something. So I was able to cancel the PM (meaning the receiver wouldn't be able to read it) and re-send it. This is quite a useful feature (albeit probably underutilised) which would be made useless.

Also, there's nothing bad about getting people to login to the forum once in a while, IMO.
Thread reply notifications do show the first bit of the message. It doesn't show all of it presumably to reduce bandwidth if a lot of people get the notification.

For PM notifications, you need to read it on the forum anyway, otherwise you won't get notified for additional PMs
I am yet to find a setting to even allow this.
It me lol.

It's not that much hassle to sign-in though? As BP said, you still have to login to reply anyhow.
Reference URL's