[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Locator in chases and a jammer device
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Locator in chases

Make more use of the battery system and allow cops in chase to enable the locator for short periods of time. As someone who mainly enjoys copping, I currently find very little use of it and find it hard to justify its purchase.

Scenario A

Suspect turns into a crowded intersection and cop loses his sight - he now has an option to turn on the locator for a few seconds, regain the knowledge of suspect's direction and then quickly turn it off or risk not being able to use it again before recharging it. Such a powerful tool would definitely have to drain the battery very quickly, perhaps even quickly enough for cops to only have that option once or twice per chase, unless they can manage to squeeze in a safe-zone stop for recharging.

Cops can currently use the small map or work together with cops that are updating them on their suspect's direction, but the main aim behind this suggestion is to make more use of the locator and add an additional layer of strategy to chases.

!locator[+|-] (on/off/toggle)

Realism aspect

Quote:StarChase is the trade name of a less-lethal vehicle tagging system developed early in 2006 to tag, track and locate a fleeing vehicle of interest to police. Its components consist of a tag, a small projectile with the end covered in a viscous adhesive which contains a GPS locator and a transmitter, fired by compressed air from a small launcher on the front grille of a police car.

Jammer device

To give suspects a chance to counter the strategy described above, they could also have a device of their own. A jammer, that would drain the battery at the same rate as locators used in chase and would work against them.

Additionally, with the InSim update 4.31 introducing the evidence system for speed traps, it could also work against those. Again, its battery life would only allow it to be used for very short periods of time, making it a tool that is best used rarely and with a strategy.

Scenario A

Suspect is approaching a crowded intersection and knows that a cop far behind could have an issue knowing his new direction - he now has an option to disable cop's locators for a few seconds, forcing them to rely solely on the small map.

Scenario B

Player's radar warner device alerts him of a speed trap - he now has an option to disable it getting a reading on him, preventing cops from gaining the evidence and possibly fining him in the future. The jammer device wouldn't disable cop's regular laser command however, meaning he could still get fined for speeding if they have a manual reading.

!jammer[+|-] (on/off/toggle)

Realism aspect

Quote:Radar jamming and deception (electronic countermeasures) is the intentional emission of radio frequency signals to interfere with the operation of a radar by saturating its receiver with noise or false information.
Jammer device for speed traps sounds reasonable and since so many people hate them, it would perhaps be a good compromise. I don't like the ability of cops to being able to track suspects using any other method other than their own skill. There have been insim apps made by players which have gained a lot of hate due to it taking away the skill aspect of chases. I get that your idea of a tracker would run flat after x seconds but I still don't think it's needed. LFS maps are not huge, therefore I don't think tracking devices would be at all necessary.
I'm with Carl on this one - Mary had a lot of negative feedback for having a locator for suspects, but I like the idea of speed traps getting jammed. Could be useful for people on the AB.

I'd suggest adding a poll, btw Smile
I like the idea of a speed trap jammer. Like in a bond movie where he flips his number plate. It requires you to take notice of your radar warner and press a bind before you're in range of the speed trap. Maybe this could be something that needs to be recharged or can only be used while in a chase.
Reference URL's