[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: The actual 'teacake' debate.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Its clearly image 2...delightful little treats!
Interestingly, Image 2 has been legally determined to be a 'cake' as opposed to being a 'snack' following a 13-year dispute. A snack was defined as covering 'chocolate covered biscuits'.

This arose out of a legal dispute surrounding VAT. A snack incurs VAT whilst a cake does not.

M&S won the dispute in favour of Image 2 being a cake and so they do not need to incur tax on them. Therefore it was not a snack and thus it is not a biscuit. I guess a legally binding decision helps us in asserting Image 2 is a cake, but it does not give us answers in regards to the first part of the name 'tea'. Nor does it refute any claim that Image 1 cannot also be a cake because no such comparison was made here.

Perhaps it would be useful (although not determinative) to see whether Image 1 falls within the same VAT bracket as Image 2...

It is important to note that this was in the context of VAT and from a commercial point of view, but given that a court has made a ruling on this specific matter probably means a fair bit of meaningful debate had already taken place over the last 13 years. But as mentioned already, it does not prove or disprove anything in regards to Image 1 - The debate continues.

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news...cakes.html

Oh, and this source also confirms that somebody has already successfully argued in court that a Jaffa Cake is in fact a cake. @Taz Tongue.
Hence my Jaffa Cake comment in response to BP - it is a cake, called a teacake.

that thing in image one should be referred to as a teabread, as that is effectively what it is.
Anyone that voted for image one needs to be clinically examined.
like you
Although Image 2 people seem to be more vocal, they have less votes.
I would consume image 1 first imo
I used to work at a tea rooms about a year or so ago, and we made thousands, literally thousands of toasted teacakes a day.

They look like this:
[Image: 7aHJESR.jpg]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Image 1 gets my vote!

EDIT: They were bloody delicious.
Image 2 is a Tunnock's Teacake. A real Teacake. The only Teacake.
(2019-03-16 14:23)Charlie Wrote: [ -> ]I used to work at a tea rooms about a year or so ago, and we made thousands, literally thousands of toasted teacakes a day.

They look like this:
[Image: 7aHJESR.jpg]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Image 1 gets my vote!

EDIT: They were bloody delicious.

I worked a summer job at a golf club and that too is what we served Smile
Why not classify both as Teacakes? as i dont see a reason behind a teacake being one of them.

btw looking at Wiki
is definitely a teacake though
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's