[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Retro Layouts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2019-06-19 09:35)Morreboy Wrote: [ -> ]What About 3 days blackwood retro and 4 days westhill retro?

I guess that could possibly work, but Ice may get understandably mad at having to change the track so often :p
(2019-06-19 09:35)Morreboy Wrote: [ -> ]What About 3 days blackwood retro and 4 days westhill retro?

Not a bad idea but BP may be onto something with making track changes more frequent. Lol
(2019-06-19 08:46)BP Wrote: [ -> ]Voted no, because I'm not a massive fan of Blackwood regardless of configuration. Furthermore, adding more tracks/configs to the rotation obviously means we'll be seeing even less of the tracks a lot of people love, e.g. Montana, Kyoto, Jamaica. (And it seems they take ages to come around as it is)
So much this. I don't necessarily mind retro tracks, but just not enough to warrant adding it on top of the others in the rotation, making the list (and wait) even longer. The only time i would want to add new tracks to the rotation would be when actual new tracks come out (if they are good ofc)
I agree with what Morreboy has suggested. I'm not familiar with how changing the track works but could we not allow more than one person to have the ability to do it in instead of relying on Ice to do it. Therefore meaning we still get to see Montana, Kyoto and Jamaica the same amount as we do already.

Personally if I had it my way, I'd just be running those three only but unfortunately not everyone would agree to that Smile
Sonic Wrote:I'm not familiar with how changing the track works but could we not allow more than one person to have the ability to do it in instead of relying on Ice to do it.

Track changing needs the server admin password. The admin password is limited to Elmo, Pete, Chuck and Ice (with Chuck and Ice being the only ones who really change the track). Unless Chuck could design some sort of automated track-changing system, that's the way it has to be, I think.
I’d be against shortening the rotation rate. For those of us who work during the week (or shift work) we might not be able to play for 4/5+ days at a time. Most of us get a chance at least once a week to play and that means we can all play our favourite tracks regularly. If it changes every 3/4 days then we’d possibly miss it for several rotations.

If you’re just talking about splitting a track variation for 3/4 days within that single week then that would be ok I guess.
(2019-06-19 20:18)Josh Wrote: [ -> ]If you’re just talking about splitting a track variation for 3/4 days within that single week then that would be ok I guess.

I believe that is exactly what they mean. 1 week would be split in half with 2 different retro tracks.

Friday - Wednesday westhill retro then Wednesday - Friday blackwood retro.

The above is just an example.
What's the point of retro tracks? All they do is limit the available roads for silly nostalgia.
The only reasonable argument is the better traffic flow, but honestly the flow is just fine on evenings with normal layouts.

Having 1 week full of retro maps would be too monotone, instead you could rotate the layout. 3 days retro BL and the rest is full BL.

(2019-06-19 13:42)Sonic Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not familiar with how changing the track works but could we not allow more than one person to have the ability to do it in instead of relying on Ice to do it.

These are great if they can be done. At least server supervisors be able to change the tracks as they are able to be more often active.

Would like to see more colors of tracks but not for a full week Smile
(2019-06-20 06:26)Kyance Wrote: [ -> ]What's the point of retro tracks? All they do is limit the available roads for silly nostalgia.
The only reasonable argument is the better traffic flow, but honestly the flow is just fine on evenings with normal layouts.

Having 1 week full of retro maps would be too monotone, instead you could rotate the layout. 3 days retro BL and the rest is full BL.

You're putting a subjective view on what is considered good traffic flow. If we're talking about making chases fun then I can tell you that the traffic flow on the new layouts for Blackwood and Westhill makes chases shockingly boring.
(2019-06-20 12:11)Sonic Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-20 06:26)Kyance Wrote: [ -> ]What's the point of retro tracks? All they do is limit the available roads for silly nostalgia.

You're putting a subjective view on what is considered good traffic flow. If we're talking about making chases fun then I can tell you that the traffic flow on the new layouts for Blackwood and Westhill makes chases shockingly boring.

Eh, it wasn't really a subjective view. I was just adding the pro that Carl and Josh mentioned - smaller maps having better traffic flow.

I'm really talking about having more routes, thus creating more variety and more options for players to choose. That way it actually feels like a "City cruise" server.
Last week we had Westhill Retro or whatever and you only had 2 options - to drive clockwise or ccw. Due to the flowy nature of the track you didn't really have any choke points - the traffic moved quickly but monotonely.
In BL, if you'd remove the grid-block area and the dirt routes, you're creating a choke area from T1 all the way up to T3 because of how narrow the road is there due to the barriers. One roadblock and your chase's over.
Having the dirt routes tho gives you chance to avoid that by having some creativity.
And having the grid-block/"parking lot"/w.e that stunt area is called gives you space to mess around.
(2019-06-20 12:30)Kyance Wrote: [ -> ]Eh, it wasn't really a subjective view. I was just adding the pro that Carl and Josh mentioned - smaller maps having better traffic flow.

I'm really talking about having more routes, thus creating more variety and more options for players to choose. That way it actually feels like a "City cruise" server.
Last week we had Westhill Retro or whatever and you only had 2 options - to drive clockwise or ccw. Due to the flowy nature of the track you didn't really have any choke points - the traffic moved quickly but monotonely.
In BL, if you'd remove the grid-block area and the dirt routes, you're creating a choke area from T1 all the way up to T3 because of how narrow the road is there due to the barriers. One roadblock and your chase's over.
Having the dirt routes tho gives you chance to avoid that by having some creativity.
And having the grid-block/"parking lot"/w.e that stunt area is called gives you space to mess around.

Well said. Thumbup

silly nostalgia? that writes someone who only runs 2014 at tc and in the time only 9 tkm driven? I ask the young people just not to write such meaningless things .. I'll get a little angry ... if it had written josh or BP okay ... but not someone who .... okay ...

I'm not getting into the nonsense anymore.....

These retro layouts are the origin of TC and the cruise server ...

okay if you are against it you should maybe only once a week or it just call an event..

you do not have to drive a whole week .. understand BP and agree with him.

It would still be nice if you could drive the old layouts again..
(2019-06-20 18:38)Titan Wrote: [ -> ]

silly nostalgia? that writes someone who only runs 2014 at tc and in the time only 9 tkm driven? I ask the young people just not to write such meaningless things .. I'll get a little angry ... if it had written josh or BP okay ... but not someone who .... okay ...

I'm not getting into the nonsense anymore.....

These retro layouts are the origin of TC and the cruise server ...

okay if you are against it you should maybe only once a week or it just call an event..

you do not have to drive a whole week .. understand BP and agree with him.

It would still be nice if you could drive the old layouts again..

Yes let's ignore the opinions of newer players, make them feel unneeded and let the elite veterans guide the community. That'll surely attract newer people!

Yes okay sure it's cool for you to go back to those layouts and I respect that, but they shouldn't be there for the whole week. The newer layouts are there for a reason - the game's growing and it has more power/it is more efficient to render/build bigger maps.
The same as you want to play GTA: SA for nostalgia but will most likely end up playing GTA 5/Online because it's better, the only thing pulling you back is your memories.
(2019-06-20 19:13)Kyance Wrote: [ -> ]the only thing pulling you back is your memories.

Actually the retro layouts are much more fun for chases. Driving with traffic and actually having to drive instead going offroading or constantly between buildings doing u-turns is much more enjoyable chases. I won't cop in new WE and BL for that reason but the tracks are good and fun so with retro layouts on i could finally cop on them
@Kyance

Westhill without any restrictions on roads leads to the majority of people driving up and down one road just because that's where the majority of traffic is. Having a track that flows is better than having 20 alternative routes in my opinion.

I found myself playing on the server with the Retro Westhill config longer than I usually would if it was open config, maybe that's just my play style.. I find Blackwood Industrial boring as hell. Westhill is a little better with the outside loop, but it still seems to get boring fast.

I'm game with the idea of having a limited amount of time with the Retro layouts then switching up to the normal layout:

Retro layout 3 Days > Open layout 4 Days

Fri - Sat - Sun > Mon - Tue - Wed - Thur

Same goes for Westhill.

Lets try keep this civil, we all have different cruising types.

2 cents,
-Bez
you have no idea .. as I mean that ... well no wonder you do not have the experience .. and I do not mean in lfs Smile kyance ....

you can stop your insinuations .... read my text correctly and read between the lines..

I think everything is said....

yes bez .. everyone likes that differently.
(2019-06-20 19:36)petsu Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-20 19:13)Kyance Wrote: [ -> ]the only thing pulling you back is your memories.

Actually the retro layouts are much more fun for chases. Driving with traffic and actually having to drive instead going offroading or constantly between buildings doing u-turns is much more enjoyable chases. I won't cop in new WE and BL for that reason but the tracks are good and fun so with retro layouts on i could finally cop on them

Honestly it sounds like you're looking for racing servers lol.
But okay, fine. These arguments aren't going anywhere so let it be. Tongue
@Kyanace

Including the dirt roads is what I thought would be part of Blackwood retro, that's how it was before the new Blackwood anyway. So it is not like the retro westhill where every road is blocked off if that makes sense?
(2019-06-21 10:30)Sonic Wrote: [ -> ]@Kyanace

Including the dirt roads is what I thought would be part of Blackwood retro, that's how it was before the new Blackwood anyway. So it is not like the retro westhill where every road is blocked off if that makes sense?

Ah, that doesn't seem too bad then. Thought it'd end up like wh retro lol, that was bad.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's