[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Left-hand side?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There is that puzzler circling in my head every now and then:
Why do people say "left-hand side" or "right-hand side"? Isn't "left side" or "right side" enough information? 0o

What has a hand to do with it? I don't need a hand to determine what side is left or right.

Also, what if someone lost a hand in an accident? Wouldn't they feel offended?
It's because some people have difficulty determining what's left and what's right. By saying left or right hand side, they think of the hand they write with, or the opposite hand they right with in some situations.

Or also to make it clear that it's on the side of your hand, instead of one side of an object or person you're looking at, for example your left hand side would be their right eye if you're looking head on to each other. Tongue

And yes, I'd be very offended if I had no hand.
Well there is ppl who lives in country where you drive on right, but can be left handed Tongue
(2012-05-25 09:01)Roba Wrote: [ -> ]Well there is ppl who lives in country where you drive on right, but can be left handed Tongue

Ohmy really?
Left Hand Side - Wrong Side.

Right Hand Side - Correct Side.

Sorted.
I say my left hand side and right hand side, or correct/wrong side for me.

If you say right side in teamspeak for example, then it can be quite confusing for like a roadblock or something. It's particularly relevant for countries that drive on the left, because the right side is the left side, if that makes sense Tongue
Lol, Chuck means why do people say left hand side and right hand side, he's not on about what side of the road you should drive on and stuff. xD

@ PeePee
I was merely cracking a joke my dear Wink

I got the jist, thanks, though n__n
My bad, but aren't jokes meant to be funny xD
Why is my post removed ? I answered the question
Must just be me that found that funny Tongue
For me this is because if there is somebody in front of you, and your saying to that person :"On your left there's a bug"
The person in front of you is in the inverted way about sides than you are.
Saying wich hand it could be like " Your right hand side" prevents confusion of sides.

Atleast, for me it does Smile
Umm for me, saying "Your right" or "Your right hand side" is pretty much same.
(2012-05-26 15:09)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]For me this is because if there is somebody in front of you, and your saying to that person :"On your left there's a bug"
The person in front of you is in the inverted way about sides than you are.
Saying wich hand it could be like " Your right hand side" prevents confusion of sides.

Atleast, for me it does Smile

Like I explained but people simply make fun of it Smile
Well, that language construct does probably not exist in all languages, like in German. But we achieved quite a lot even without it Wink
People interpret 'the right side' as 'the correct side'
That's where it goes wrong, as there are countries who have the left side as the correct one.
I guess there aren't many talks about what side to drive on in real life Wink
Reference URL's