[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: 120mph Crash Test
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
120 mph (192 km/h) Crash Test performed by Fifth Gear Team. All copyright goes to Fifth Gear. HD 1080p

Remind me of the girl next door that died in a car accident 2 years ago Sad
This is the same one for people who can't view the OP video.

I can't view either.
Shocking =/ Glad I'm more of an acceleration freak than speed =/
Not much Focus left after the crash Ohmy
oh my god
The only good things I can draw from this are

It MAY actually make people think twice before breaking the speedlimit (I've been on a dual carriage way in a friends car hitting 120mph, scary as **** when you take into account the fact that he was 20 at the time).

And that if a 120mph head on collision does happen, it'll be quick and painless
Bear in mind you only have to be doing 60mph (the speed limit of most rural roads here), head-on into another car doing 60mph to have the same forces applied in this crash test.

And believe me, it isn't a nice thing to have to clean up.
(2011-10-21 14:57)Street Wrote: [ -> ]It MAY actually make people think twice before breaking the speedlimit

Speedlimits, what speedlimits?
(2011-10-21 15:04)Josh Wrote: [ -> ]Bear in mind you only have to be doing 60mph (the speed limit of most rural roads here), head-on into another car doing 60mph to have the same forces applied in this crash test.

And believe me, it isn't a nice thing to have to clean up.

Actually no, heading 60mph into another car heading 60mph will only be half of the force in this video. Because the 120mph force will be spread over a surface of two cars.
(2011-10-21 15:40)Pipa Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-10-21 14:57)Street Wrote: [ -> ]It MAY actually make people think twice before breaking the speedlimit

Speedlimits, what speedlimits?

What are you brabbling about? Scared
Some parts of the Autobahn/Schnellstraße in germany have no speedlimits, thats what i am brabbling about. And unlike some people suggest it is actually pretty safe.

Of course when you do something the first time it usually seems pretty crazy,awesome, thrilling or mad, but sadly you get used to it and it is not that scary anymore. I remember doing 60mph on a small country road when i just started driving, it felt terrifying but now it just feels boring.
(2011-10-21 15:04)Josh Wrote: [ -> ]Bear in mind you only have to be doing 60mph (the speed limit of most rural roads here), head-on into another car doing 60mph to have the same forces applied in this crash test.

Nah. 60mph frontal crash with another car is = with crashing wall with 60mph.
2 cars travelling into each other at 60mph? 60mph + 60mph = 120mph.

This is how we look at the application of forces in accidents to injury and affects.
(2011-10-21 16:54)Josh Wrote: [ -> ]2 cars travelling into each other at 60mph? 60mph + 60mph = 120mph.

This is how we look at the application of forces in accidents to injury and affects.

Combined speed of 120mph, yes, but hitting another car isn't the same as hitting a solid wall..
(2011-10-21 16:54)Josh Wrote: [ -> ]2 cars travelling into each other at 60mph? 60mph + 60mph = 120mph.

I can't explain that in enlgish language, so there's the mithbusters test about that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8E5dUnLmh4

Edit: late. Smile
Ooh that's interesting, my books say different. Dont know if its because we are applying them to something specific that makes it different or if the theories are just taken from older test or books.
Yep, Malibu is right.

2 of the same car hitting each other head on, both traveling at 60mph will create the same G-forces and damage on each car as 1 of those cars hitting a solid wall also at 60mph.

Although the closing speed is 120mph in the 1st scenario, the rate of deceleration is the same.

But of course, a head on crash with another car at 60 is still likely to kill.
Also - if 2 different cars collide head on traveling at the same speed, but have a different mass and different strength to each-other, the rate of deceleration won't be the same for either car. One will come off better than hitting a solid wall and one worse.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's