[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: SOS Calls - What are they and how do we respond as a COP?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I have returned after a while and am a bit confused about !respond as a COP.

The rules seem to contradict themselves in several ways and I'd like some clarification.

Take for example these two:

Quote:When responding to an SOS-call...
4.10.1. Cops may break the road-laws if safe to do so, but not excessively or recklessly, providing no other players are endangered. Rule 4.1 still applies

Quote:5.1. Road Laws

Cops may break road laws only in case of a chase or joining a chase. Be sure not to put other players in danger. Try to drive on the correct side - only go on the wrong side when necessary.

So which is it? can we speed and wrong way (with discretion) both responding to an SOS call and chase, or only in the life cycle of a chase?

Ok so, lets say I interpret this as, I can break road laws responding to an SOS call. The words SOS imply some level of urgency right? Like I am responding to an emergency..
But then along comes 4.10.3 to confuse things even more

Quote:4.10.3. Cops do not have priority over other traffic

This to me makes no sense, I've just been told that I can break laws and it's an SOS call, i.e. an emergency and you've also told me that I have to use my sirens..

Quote:4.10.4. Flashing lights must be used (see rule 5.6)
4.10.5. An audible siren (slow or fast) should be used when responding to an SOS call, especially when close to other players. A "bullhornā€ (horn 4) or a "piercer" siren (horn 5) may be used for short periods and only in exceptionally dangerous circumstances.

OK, so I'm permitted to break road laws i.e. speed, wrong way at my discretion, but somehow I do not have priority over other traffic? How does that make sense? To me it simply doesn't.

Interestingly, there is also no mention of visual siren here - Intentional? Do you want me to speed along to one of these calls without a visual siren? Isn't that likely to raise the chances of an accident in itself? I do not get why you would omit a visual siren here but tell me to use my flashers, audible siren and break road laws.

Finally - What actually counts as an SOS call? For example, I see there are often thefts reported. Instinctively I'd think right I'm the Police turn on my sirens (including my visual) and get to the scene as quick as I can, I'd expect to have priority over other traffic like I am in a chase as I'm trying to get to a scene fast, but the rules seem to want me to sit and wait behind the uf1 infront of me and not expect them to move over...

Then there's the TOW with danger, etc.. this is all about as clear as mud to me Confused1
Police simply inherit the abilities of the TOW/MED/RES by being allowed to respond to SOS calls. In this case, you should use audible siren and strobes. This means that you do not have priority over traffic because you are not using !siren. You are of course still allowed to break the law, but there is no expectation for traffic to move out of your way. the !siren (which is visible on screen) is for chases only which then gives you priority over traffic.

You don't need to apply police chase rules to SOS calls.

A regular tow call is for a flipped/broken down vehicle. A tow with danger call indicates that the car(s) in question are stuck in a dangerous place on the map which means that some urgency is required to move them to safety.
I guess Carl summed it up very nicely. Some things I wanna mention: Originally, cops were not dispatched for the non-dangerous tow calls, but we changed that to get a bit more action. However, the main task for cops is actually to safeguard the accident scene, especially on fast roads like the autobahn.
But you still can help actively too. Since cops always have battery on board, you can help out any present tow by providing !power, either while towing(which speeds up the towing time) or afterwards to help the tow to recover from the energy drain.
Reference URL's