[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: New Trees By Wiz
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i am trying to learn how to make trees and that is not easy to me.
so if anyone has any ideas on especially how to make edges better i like to hear it.
i did find a tutorial for it, but i also took down like 200 plugins so im also learning those now. hence any help is good. this first pack is very WIP and the trees did not come out at all as i wanted them too. these trees have alot of grey/white areas around edges, and is there fore really annoying to deal with in game.
i think my main mistake i did with this batch was i should have taken every tree first and removes edges and smoothen them out. however when i found the plugins i already had the trees setup on the LFS file. so kinda had to work with all trees at once , hence the result became less desireable.

i am posting it here so you can get a feel of what i try to do with them.
they are not cut out so good in this attempt so close up they do not look very nice.
but if you drive the roads you wont really notice as trees are really uneven as they are.

so what im asking here is if the trees and shapes makes it feel different to you in game.

Files made so far for westhill (used normal lfs treeline)(but will make my own at some point when i learn outline edges better)

image of files :
[Image: WSTplants1-ALP.png]
the lower right tree on this below is so bad on edges i consider to use another tree there? what do you think?
[Image: WSTplants2-ALP.png]
[Image: WSTplants3-ALP.png]
[Image: WSTree-Lin1-ALP.png]

important notice:
back up the 4 files in your lfs game folder /lfs/data/dds
(you probably wont keep these)
then copy these files to LFS/data/dds folder.
files made in 2048x2048
inserting trees to lfs files was made in 9050x9050 resolution.
packed in winrar:
DOWNLOAD HERE

as said.
if you got any help to share making these. please let me know in reply.
the distortion in these files is caused by a tool that removes dust. (had to test that).

feedback im looking for is:
are they too big?
too small?
too dark?
too bright?
could have more color?
could have less color?
too sharp or not to sharp ?

things like that.
I think you're barking up the wrong tree
(2023-04-22 07:57)BP Wrote: [ -> ]I think you're barking up the wrong tree

It’s good to branch out and get firmly rooted in a new hobby. Yew never know where it will(ow) take you.

i dont think so.
i found the solution to edges and accidently made some extremely cool looking test trees.

[Image: WSTplants1-ALP.png]

[Image: WSTplants2-ALP.png]

(2023-04-22 09:45)Nick Wrote: [ -> ]

It’s good to branch out and get firmly rooted in a new hobby. Yew never know where it will(ow) take you.

exactly that and it took me to a whole new level of making trees.

these are made in 12000x12000 and single trees are around 3200-4100 height and width. it took me all day to redo all tree cutouts to make these results. however it also means i now got premade trees that can go to any track. around 200 different trees.

this batch is a test of different looking trees ingame on westhill only(since i started testing on that track anyways).

you get some large pine trees, some different looking birch trees and some trees with autumn colors(later will do full tracks with those in this resolution)

lfs/data/dds
winrar packed.
back up default files in case you like to revert to them.

DOWNLOAD HERE
EDIT:
whoops. made a mistake that will be corrected on wstplants3. (experimenting).
also i literally crashed because watching a tree resolution coming closer to me,looked damn real)
Okay this file made my computer puke alot.
i guess i found the memory range now.
anyways.
heres the treeline file which is still WIP. made in resolution 12000x12000. downsized to 4096/2048 versions.
again any feedback would make it much easier to know what trees to use.
the top line trees is not made to the edges on purpose as i noticed a mistake on the default treelines.
it simply stops in mid air with a vertical edge and that looks quite weird because the treeline is not going full circle as it does e.g. on aston. so to prevent that weird looking edge in the distance i simply did not make any edges. i hope that makes sense somehow to readers. in this test file i actually only made the top line of trees. will try to make them all different looking over time. but as mentioned these resolutions cost alot of computing power so it literally takes around 15 min to place just one tree and the program has calculated whatever it needs too. so really time consuming too. constntly seeking to reduce the load with every step i do. it seems to pay off too with these files. so gonna make line 2 in not too long time. this is why its WIP.

apparently this website does not support huge files in png 4096 so had to use the 2048 for the image showcase.

the files in post above is included in this pack too(with the mistake on wstplants3.dds).

so all files are gathered in one pack.
included is 2 optional versions(needs to be renamed) which uses default lfs treeline including the treeline i made.
those do not have screenshots.

packed in winrar & goes to lfs/data/dds
(back up any files before overwriting)
file showcase image :
[Image: WSTree-Lin1-ALP.png]

Download all files here in the 2048 versions :
Download from Ufile

also goofed around with a new plugin toy which color matches better than the default.
not perfect but i think i pulled it off somehow.

i also figured that my image editor does not cut out as good as the other tool i used to prepare the files. i guess half n half my fault for not noticing and half the program for not really showing it simply cuts out badly. but these files should be good.
even for those being skeptic.
all that needs to be done now is the feedback really.
what trees or type of trees would you like to see in LFS ?
which track.

i am currently looking for cutout trees with snow on them.
know any free to use ones. please link in reply. thank you.

EDIT:
if you wonder from where these trees comes from.
they are all photographed in Denmark near and around Copenhagen.
EDIT 2:
there is a cutout mistake on default trees on westhill. it can be seen with default trees installed by going outer circle roads and near the large kart track on tv cam,watching the car go passed the tree you can see theres a cutout mistake or file misplacement mistake on that tree. one branch is missing on the edge.
its also visible on another tv cam i currently forgot but remember i seen it 2 places(same tree). hence i suspect Developer Eric made a bad cutout on that. (it happens).i havent checked my own yet for these type of mistakes.
remember they are still WIP. this is why i placed my trees inside the default trees edge lines. to be sure they will not go over the edges of the tree mapping.
hope you like them and will return with some constructive feedback so we can get some cool trees everyone could enjoy in lfs. for all seasons even.
(2023-04-22 09:45)Nick Wrote: [ -> ]It’s good to branch out and get firmly rooted in a new hobby. Yew never know where it will(ow) take you.

wait..
first request is willow trees then Smile
heres a video of how they look ingame.

video is with the fixed wstplants3.alp file.

dont mind the many white flowers. thats another test file im working on.
video is all about trees. nothing else.
i just noticed the treelines actually descent in a slope in some areas.
it also got the cut i spoke of above.

they do also look better ingame than the video shows.
to give you an idea of what to expect.
im aware some trees fits better elsewhere. its only a test.

WSTplants3.ALP fixed.
DOWNLOAD

some tests on the 2 lower lines on treelines. now see through at the darkest and brightest places.

also noticed in normal daylight it turns out a bit too bright so gonna darken them a bit

pic 1(bottom line on file)(needs to be in higher resolution(this was just another test)
[Image: seethrough-treeline.jpg]
pic 2(top line on file)needs correction and to find where it cuts.(cut is to the far right)
[Image: seethrough-treeline2.jpg]
pic 3(the cut on the treeline)(seems to be a joint from line 1 and 2 on the file)(i can fix it then)
[Image: seethrough-treeline3.jpg]
Reference URL's