[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: DDR3 RAM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

Google couldn't help, so yea maybe someone here knows:

Is it possible to buy 8GB DDR3 Modules?

My laptop seems to have only 2 slots for RAM, meaning to get 16GB, I need 2x8GB. It's currently running 2x4GB.

HP Pavilion DV6-6C20TX

Thanks in advance Smile
That's quite neat karaK Tongue

It's ridiculously priced here (I think), but thanks anyways. Seems I can buy 1x8GB for (AUS)$261, and 4x8GB for $345. That's just 1 site tho.
tbh 8gb is enough for a laptop, u aint gonna use up 6gb of it up let own fill 16gb its pointless
You don't need more ram.

If it's slow, buy an SSD for it instead.
Ive got 12gb Ram, i dont think ive ever been using more then 8.
I have 2 x 4GB DDR3 don't use more than 5G Smile
You've got me thinking about an SSD actually. From what I've read here, I'm guessing upgrading that seems more sensible. The only problem with an SSD for me is, it's usually smaller capacity, so for me traveling all the time, it means i probably will have to buy another external hard drive to carry around.

Anyone recommend a decent SSD Manufacturer from experience? Shall have a look online now and see. Thanks for the responses, feels like u saved me some money without spending it already Smile
(2012-07-03 15:52)ChrisM Wrote: [ -> ]You've got me thinking about an SSD actually. From what I've read here, I'm guessing upgrading that seems more sensible. The only problem with an SSD for me is, it's usually smaller capacity, so for me traveling all the time, it means i probably will have to buy another external hard drive to carry around.

Anyone recommend a decent SSD Manufacturer from experience? Shall have a look online now and see. Thanks for the responses, feels like u saved me some money without spending it already Smile

Go for OCZ Agility 3 or 4, or Crucial M4. Those are the top ones atm.
OCZ Agility.
(2012-07-03 13:14)Cola Wrote: [ -> ]You don't need more ram.

If it's slow, buy an SSD for it instead.

And turn off the paging file so it does actually make use of the 8GB Wink
(2012-07-04 05:50)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]And turn off the paging file so it does actually make use of the 8GB Wink

It's currently set at 8139MB. I 've looked into that, and there's many different opinions regarding doing that found online, and I'm not sure who to trust/what to believe lol.
If you've got enough RAM, windows doesn't touch the pagefile anyway. It automatically shrunk mine down to the minimum 256MB when I upped from 4 to 12GB and it's barely used it since.
It's generally safer to leave it turned on in case something decides to memory leak - you don't want windows unceremoniously killing programs and losing data because it's run out of RAM.

As for SSDs, the Intel ones are the best quality, but you pay a premium for the privilege.
Reference URL's